best value pocket carry pistol

sam

i am looking for a pocket pistol that is a good value. not necessarily real cheap though i don't want to pay a lot but i want to get the most for my money.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.380 - Kel-tec P3AT or Ruger LCP

.38 = S&W 642 / 442

9mm - Kahr CM9, Ruger LC9, Keltec PF-9 (some of these may be too large for pocket carry - depends on your comfort level and your pocket size.)

Edited by JC57
Guest NashvegasMatt

Depends on your definition of value. If your looking for inexpensive and great quality....good luck, the options are limited. You didn't specify how much is too much, so we can't really make suggestions with no price point to work with.

Money not a factor, the S&W bodyguard is a good deal, other than the ridiculous laser that ruined a perfectly good gun. It would be my choice.

Like NashVegasMatt said, it depends on what you consider "value".

To me, best value in a pocket pistol is anything in a service caliber such as a j frame chambered in either .38 sp or .357 magnum. There are several good pocket 9mm's available as well.

i would like to stay under 550

for that price you can get about anything you want. Even a Kahr p380 if you find the right deal. I have seen sigp238's for $475 at certain times.

Here's what Im looking into for the same reasons as you

Kahr p380 ($575)

Kahr cw9 9mm ($460)

Ruger LCP 380 ($300)

Diamondback DB9 9mm ($360)

Sig p238 ($490)

Prices are all ballpark, that I have seen at various stores in Knoxville/Johnson City

Guest MStateDawg

First time poster here, been lurking for a while and thought I'd finally start talking....but if you want a pocket-sized pistol, the Ruger LCP is hard to beat. If you live in the Knoxville/Oak Ridge area, there's an ACE Hardware in Oliver Springs (yes, they have a small gun selection), and the guy who runs the place sells brand new Ruger LCP's for $279.99. That's the cheapest price I've seen, even online. It's a great quality pistol, made in USA, and Ruger's customer service is hard to beat (stay away from Beretta....I had to learn that lesson the hard way). Fits in my cargo shorts pocket with a pocket holster seamlessly. Great summer carry gun. Just my $.02. Great site by the way!

• Admin Team

For the money and simple reliability, the Crimson Trace equipped Ruger LCP is probably about the best value proposition in the auto pocket pistol space right now. I've been seeing them regularly for $289 - 319.

In the wheelgun space, $500 easily gets you into a S&W 642 or similar as well. While it has some tradeoffs in capacity and reload time, it is rock solid reliable and will likely be the gun your kids fight over when you pass away.

For what it's worth, I really suggest trying out the weapon in your pocket with the holster you'll be using before you buy if possible. I know that's not always possible, but here's what I've found:

While I love the small pocket autos, I have a problem with all of them. That is, at 6'0" and 150lbs I cannot get a full firing grip on the pistol inside my pocket. I can get a grip where it's possible to fire the gun, but I can't get a grip that I really feel good about. That results in me realistically having to draw the weapon, and then adjust my grip before firing. If I'm grappling with an attacker, being hit with a blunt insturment or whatever, that's a luxury I may not get, and just don't feel comfortable betting my life on. I carried a P238 for a while, and a Ruger LCP for about a year, and have since tried about every other variant of pocket auto on the market. My "litmus test" for them is whether I can get a full firing grip inside the pocket of my Levis 501s. If I can't, I keep looking.

About a year and a half ago, I moved to a j-frame in a kydex pocket Aholster. I've not looked back. I'm currently carrying a S&W M&P 340CT in an AHolster and can't recommend it enough. I can get a full grip, the holster always stays in my pocket, and it doesn't print at all.

If you're ever over in Nashville, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm happy to let you try any of the combinations.

I'm not really a "revolver" person but I've had a Ruger LCR with the CT Laser for a couple of years now...for weight and power (.38 +p) I think it's pretty hard to beat. Although I think all the recommendations offered here are great options.

I'm sure this is not a surprising statement but it really depends on what you feel most comfortable with...like I said, I'm not a revolver person but I when deep concealment is necessary (or for a BUG), I decided on the LCR because it's hard to beat the simplicity (= dependability) of a simple revolver. :)

I understand about the grip issue. My little model 36 Chief's Special (square butt) has one of those "old School" narrow grips. I practice drawing my weapons in front of a mirror and the little J frame is faster than anything I own. I think it's that the narrow grips are easier to grab than the larger, more modern grips. I'm 6'3" and have big mitts too.

Edited by Will Carry

It is not normally mentioned in the discussion of pocket carry, but I love my NAA .22 mag. I had a Taurus 856 that I pocket carried a little, but I am always annoyed with a bunch of stuff in my pocket. The NAA is more comfortable in my pocket and will get the job done in a pinch. Easily within your budget too.

As you can see by the varied response, yours is a very subjective question. I agree with every answer offered. Your budget allows you to pick almost anything.

When I shopped for a BUG for my pocket, my LGS let me try them out including holsters. The big box stores won't let ya do that, though.

Just plan on needing 2 or 3 times as much ammo as usual to get proficient with any gun small enough for your pocket.

Guest bluemarlin

It's not hard to find an LCP for less than $300 or an LCR 357 mag for less than $450. Both have been 100% reliable for me after hundreds of rounds through each. Have to practice a lot with each though if you want to even look like you know what you are doing.

My search for a pocket carry pistol began with looking at an LCP. After several models of autos and revolvers, I finally decided on a 442.

This.

Over the many odd years I've pocket carried .22 Beretta, .32 Keltecs, .380 Keltecs, Ruger LCP, Keltec P11 and PF9 with varying degrees of success. My personal findings were that most of them were reliable 98% of the time. Some were finicky about what they ate. Had to use FMJ on the .32 because of the possibility of rimlock. I recently picked up a slightly used 642 from a TGO member and it slides in and out of the pocket very easily. I have carried it in the ankle glove a few times, but for most of my daily routine it works best in a cheap Uncle Mikes nylon pocket holster. The pocket autos were hard to get a good firing grip on when pulling them from the pocket holster, but the revolver is not. I wish mine was a .357 instead of the .38 just because I like options.

Some people like to use the Crimson Trace laser with the pocket pistols, but I've found them to be distracting when shooting. I realize these pistols are bad breath distance, get off of me gun, rather than a shoot it out with the Insane Clown Posse or the Latin Kings type of gun. As has often been said, if I find myself needing more than five rounds of .38 +P, I've either exercised some very poor judgment, or the world is coming to an end and i should have brought automatic weapons and more friends.;)