heritage .22

sam

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked one up a few months ago, on a whim. I used the boxes of .22WMR I had laying around as an excuse.

I have shot nearly two boxes of Federal 550 Bulk .22LR through it, and around 200 rounds of .22WMR through it.

I love it. It points naturally, has no recoil and hits where you aim. At 10yds I will shoot empty shotgun shell hulls all day with it and love it. It is also easy on the wallet from first purchase and feeding.

Where else are you gonna have over a thousand rounds of fun and be into it for less than $300 total investment?

Guest Aces&8s

I love mine. It is the one gun that almost always goes to the range with me... no matter what else I am shooting, I throw the Rough Rider and a box of .22s in my bag, too. The one thing I am not crazy about is the safety, but if that is my only complaint, Heritage must be doing something right.

The following picture is the best testimony I can give for my Heritage Rough Rider. It was taken at the Spring Creek Shooting Range. My mom and nephew were plinking at the metal disks that hang at 50 yards with his old, falling block .22 rifle. Just for the heck of it, I started shooting at those disks, too (I had the .22 WMR cylinder in and was shooting Winchester Super X 40 grain WMR ammo.) I surprised myself by doing as well with the Heritage as they were doing with the rifle.

Just as a lark - really more as a joke than anything - I decided to try and hit a target at 100 yards. Well, when I walked out after the first cylinder full I noticed that I had actually managed to hit paper twice out of six shots (didn't bring a set of binocs or anything with me that day so had to walk out and check the target each time - but we were the only people there so I didn't have to wait for a cold range to do so.) This made me think that maybe hitting the target from 100 yards with the Heritage wasn't such a silly idea, after all. I walked back, loaded up again fired another six. The second time, I got the windage better but overcompensated for elevation so I only put one on the paper. Walked out, saw the results, walked back, reloaded and tried it, again. Upon walking out to check the target the third time, I found that I had 'dialed in' enough to have put four of six on paper with three being within the target rings and one that was almost a bullseye. It was warm that day and there was no breeze (which is probably part of the reason I was able to get good results) so by this point I was tired of walking out to check the target and I called it quits. I do not generally shoot from a 'bench' position - I just don't enjoy it, have never practiced it and so am not good at it - so all of these shots were made offhand from a standing (Weaver-ish) position with a two-handed hold. I'm not all that great a shot so this is more a testimony to the gun's ability than mine. Also, as you can see by the comparison to my 6.5 inch barreled Heritage, this target was larger than the 8 inch targets I normally use for practice at closer range.

Target3-22Mag100yards.jpg

Just for the heck of it, I'll post this pic of an 8 inch target that I shot from ten yards the same day with the Heritage using the .22LR cylinder and some bulk pack ammo (don't remember the brand.) This was also offhand from a standing (Weaver-ish) position with a two-handed grip and is more typical of my shooting (particularly the big, ol' flyer in the lower left.)

Target1-22LR10yards.jpg

Edited by JAB
I have a Heritage in .22 magnum. It's a piece of ____.

If it hadn't been a gift from my FIL I would have traded it for a handful of magic beans.

They definitely don't have the fit and finish of a Colt, but is there something mechanically wrong with it? The one I had was accurate and had a silky smooth action.

It won't go off half the time. It's a weak hammer spring I'm sure. You can hold the trigger operate the hammer like the action shooters do, and it's a bit more reliable. Most of the time a second strike will do it. Don't know and not to sound rude or disrespectful, but I really don't care. It's a turd. It's not snobbery on my part, it's just no good. Point of aim is a good six inches to the left at 25 yards. Groups with CCI maximags average palm sized. I chunked it in the drawer, and tried to forget about it.

He has had tennis elbow (I think that's what it's called) and my 45lc kicks to much so he can't shoot it as long. The heritage, he can shoot all day with little problem.

Oh, gotcha, thought you were comparing .22 revos.

- OS