best value ak

sam

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Well if you're a DIYer, it's hard to beat the value of a Saiga. If not, WASRs aren't bad, just make sure you look it over before buying it.

What he said ^

If you're looking to spend a few more bills, hit up Arsenal, Inc. or Krebs Customs.

ETA: I used to live in Harriman. Do yourself a favor and go over to Mid South Pawn (next to Sav-A-Lot and that movie place), sometimes they have good stuff, sometimes not so much. Also, jumping on I-40 E and going to Frontier Firearms in Kingston isn't too bad an idea. Happy hunting.

Edited by Jon_L
Guest Plainsman

Hard to go wrong with a MAK 90 if you can find one for a decent price. Of course a majority of those are post ban rifles and come with the "sporterized" thumbhole stocks and lacking all the goodies on "assault" weapons. You can get a dragonuv stock set or convert it back to original with an ironwood designs stock set, but will need to be in 922r compliance with that option. This usually means changing 5 parts to US parts and many change the trigger group. I would advise against this and keep the awesome chinese trigger group.

Guest bkelm18

A monkey could almost convert a Saiga to be honest. I've done it with a hammer, a punch, and a cordless drill on a TV dinner stand in about an hour. The hardest part is drilling through a spot weld, beyond that it's cake. There are a number of good YouTube vids that show how to do it.

Guest bkelm18

I'm not positive, but it is very possible I've seen a Saiga 5.45 at South Clinton Pawn before. They usually have one or two Saigas of various calibers on their rack.

I'm not positive, but it is very possible I've seen a Saiga 5.45 at South Clinton Pawn before. They usually have one or two Saigas of various calibers on their rack.

I haven't been to this store. How many are there in Clinton? I may need to check it out.

Guest coldblackwind

Never owned a saiga, but when push comes to shove anak is an ak. Some may not be as pretty as others, but I have yet to run across one that didn't work. That being said, the most accurate I have ever fired is my buddys IO, hands down and I've shot a lot of them.

As for frontier, I went in there one time, and I will never go back. Once they told me that $3000 was a great deal on an msar, I decided they didn't need my business. (I bought one identical for a third of that a couple months later with 7 30-40 round mags, theirs had 1 10 rounder).

Guest bkelm18
I haven't been to this store. How many are there in Clinton? I may need to check it out.

South Clinton Pawn is the name of the store. :D It's on Clinton Hwy about a mile or two south of the bridge. I can't say for sure what calibers they have but they do seem to have at least one Saiga on the rack whenever I'm there. Their prices are a wee bit higher sometimes than other places, but they have great customer service and have always treated me right.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest bkelm18
Never owned a saiga, but when push comes to shove anak is an ak. Some may not be as pretty as others, but I have yet to run across one that didn't work. That being said, the most accurate I have ever fired is my buddys IO, hands down and I've shot a lot of them.

As for frontier, I went in there one time, and I will never go back. Once they told me that $3000 was a great deal on an msar, I decided they didn't need my business. (I bought one identical for a third of that a couple months later with 7 30-40 round mags, theirs had 1 10 rounder).

I like Frontier's range, but I've never gotten a warm fuzzy from the staff. I do recall the owner (or someone portraying the owner) came on here and pretty much made an ass of himself.

South Clinton Pawn is the name of the store. :D It's on Clinton Hwy about a mile or two south of the bridge. I can't say for sure what calibers they have but they do seem to have at least one Saiga on the rack whenever I'm there. Their prices are a wee bit higher sometimes than other places, but they have great customer service and have always treated me right.

I know what I'm doing my next off day.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest agt.dealer

go with a yugo!!!!!!!!!i have a type 56,mac-90,yugo b1 and b2and a milled Bulgarian and the best shooter all day is the yugo!!!

I like Frontier's range, but I've never gotten a warm fuzzy from the staff. I do recall the owner (or someone portraying the owner) came on here and pretty much made an ass of himself.

Their gunsmith seems like a pretty good guy. He helped me out once and did me right. Usually the staff is helpful, especially one guy in particular. But the last time I was there the guy who helped me thought he was a real comedian. I didn't find him funny at all! In fact I walked out because of him and will buy the gun I'm looking for elsewhere.