One Second After

Just finished William Fortshen's One Second After. Yes. took me a while to get around to it. I've read almost all the post apocolyptic books and series that have been written since the early 70's. From Jerry Ahern's Surivalist to Willam J. Johnstone's Ashes series, as well as a lot of individual books. Most were enjoyable, time passing diversions full of guns, babes, knives, guns, blood, etc. Some a little graphic, some funny, and even downfight crude.<BR><BR>But this book was really the first to give me shivers and make me tear up. A very chilling story. And even though I knew details of the book, knew just what EMP is, and have enough knowledge to understand empirically how very vunerable we as a people and a nation are; it is still absolutely one of the most frightenly chilling pieces of "fiction" I believe I've ever read.<BR><BR>The Road was depressing and frightful. One of the most so since On The Beach. But I believe this surpasses them both.<BR>

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about the format. Post didn't load as expected, and this (above) is what finally came up. But I think it is readable and hopefully understandable. I sure hope it is, as I really didn't have the patience to tr and post it for a third time.

Sorry about the format. Post didn't load as expected, and this (above) is what finally came up. But I think it is readable and hopefully understandable. I sure hope it is, as I really didn't have the patience to tr and post it for a third time.

That's okay. Just in wrong forum. :screwy:

(discussed quite a bit over time in the Survival Forum)

- OS

Guest Bronker

I have read the book, and I agree, it makes you take a look around you at the vulnerability and complexity of even our most basic provisions.

For instance, I spent about 4 hours in a flight diversion at the Las Vegas airport this weekend, and my simple observation is quite telling of how fragile we have allowed ourselves to become. From where I was sitting, I could at any point visualize 200-300 people at any given time. I would venture to say that for the majority of my observation 80-90% or better of them had their heads buried in either a smartphone, a laptop or an iPad. Very little verbal communication. It wasn't just the teenagers, either. Moms, dads, parents, grandparents. Even when our flight delays began to happen, I was made aware only by persons around me who began receiving text messages and emails from Southwest Airlines. It was very alarming to me to know that even our most basic communications and information sharing has reached the point of reliance that the simplest of dirty devices could completely dismantle with literally the flick of a switch.

It has made us soft and vulnerable. Many people nowadays see themselves as 'suffering' when the internet is slow, let alone what will happen when provisions grind to a halt.

In one shape or another...it's coming. We will see catastrophe in our lifetimes, be it socio-economical collapse, natural disaster and / or international unrest coming to our doorstep.

Have a nice day:)

Great book! Take at look at "Survivors" by James Wesley Rawles. It's along the same lines.

Well, actually, he's written two book length works:

"Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse" and "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It"

- OS

Guest GunTroll

Well, you got me interested in reading it.

Bronker, way to go with your doom and gloom talk. Reality is difficult to swallow.