forward assist on AR uppers

Guest nysos

Guest nysos

Piecing together my first AR build and am trying to decide between 2 uppers. Should I go with the A3 with forward assist and dust cover on the oracle, or skip it and go with the sportical. From a "looks perspective" I don't care either way really, but if people don't find themselves ever having to use the forward assist then is there much of a point in having it?

Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

&

Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All of mine have them. Don't recall ever having to use it. It looks like the second upper is missing the shell deflector and dust cover too. It's going to be a little lighter. Personally, I would stick with the A3. Looks is a factor in that too.

I have never needed to use one.

I have never seen anyone else need to use one.

The chances you'll need it are slim.

And in all seriousness, if you do need to use it, you should probably figure out why

the round didn't didn't chamber in the first place.

Really, do you want to beat a round in the chamber?

Just remember, you may have to beat it back out.

As for the dust cover, it's up to you and how you use the rifle.

Are you going to be in dust, dirt, sand ect?

Guest nysos

No it is just going to be a range toy, I never let my guns get anywhere near dirty enough to where I would ever have to use the forward assist. I just thought I would ask if anyone actually has had to use theirs. As for looks, I like how both look - each has its pro's and cons. I figured people rarely had to use them, if ever at all - if they did then I would agree there is probably something else going on.

And mike, you are right about no deflector and dust cover as well, but my main focus was just the forward assist from a mechanical standpoint. I was hoping this thread might shed some unknown fact that I should definitely have a forward assist, just so I wouldn't have to think hard about a decision, alas my suspicions that they are rarely used is true and I am still stuck deciding between the two, lol.

Guest nysos
The biggest thing to remember is that if you ever want to sell your AR the sporter versions will not fetch the best price.

Why is that?

When I check my chamber, I pull the charging latch back for visual confirmation, then use the forward assist to insure the bolt is home. I thought everyone did this...

DPMS is good for range toy. :stalk:

I wouldn't touch the forward assist to FORCE anything in the chamber unless it's a life or death emergency.

I personally have forward assists on all of my AR's but would get one without in a heartbeat. I like having a dustcover on all of mine and it's a much more important feature IMO for a civilian AR15

When I check my chamber, I pull the charging latch back for visual confirmation, then use the forward assist to insure the bolt is home. I thought everyone did this...

DPMS is good for range toy. :stalk:

+1

You should always verify there is a round in the chamber if the gun will ever be used for self defense. I check mine the same way, open thebolt far enough to visually verify there is a round in the chamber. I then relase the bolt handle and tap the forward assist to make sure the bolt is locked up.

Dolomite

I built my AR 10 years ago. The very first time I took it to the range and chambered a round it got stuck and I had to use the FA. In the years since then I've never had to use it. Odds are you won't need it, so go with whichever you like more.

Guest Aces&8s

I went with the slick side upper, mainly because of the reduced weight and the fact that for my purposes, I didn't think I needed the FA or dust cover. Same reason I don't have railed handguards with a laser, a light, and a vertical foregrip. Mine is a plinker / range toy first and foremost, but one that I would feel comfortable using to kill the random unlucky coyote or stray dog that might start hassling the livestock.

The best part is that when I go to the range, I have a bench all to myself since all of the other guys are afraid someone might think that they are the one with the sissy looking AR. :screwy:

I have used mine, but that was an issue weapon and it was heavily used at the time. Really I have to ask how much weight are you saving? Also, there is a reason that the weapon was improved with that addition. I never buy a weapon assuming it will never be used to hunt with or forced into service to defend my family. If x weapon is what happens to be available for us in the unlikely event someone kicks in our door looking for whatever that we probably do not have anyway, i want that weapon to perform Just my reasoning, and your mileage may vary.

I have a Vltor MUR upper without forward assist. The only time I ever needed it was at a rifle match in Dickson. I did a reload on the clock and the round did not seat fully into the chamber. It was close enough that I just pushed the bolt forward with my finger. My next AR will have a forward assist. In hindsite I should have just racked the charging handle to load another round.

Guest nysos

After thinking on it some, I may as well go with a FA - even though I will probably never use it, I will have it for the same reason I carry a handgun. For that 1 rare chance my life might depend on it, and I might need it. Rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Even with it being a range toy, it will still probably have a loaded mag near it around the house.

It should also be noted that the FA can be used to chamber a round quietly in a SHTF situation...
Quoted for truth.

Come again ? what in gods name if you are in a SHTF situation are you doing with an empty weapon ? I can not foresee any time in a "SHTF" situation any weapon would be unloaded and need to be loaded almost silently ...for any reason and if you can come up with a good reason,.theirs your reason for having a second weapon locked and loaded and ready

Just checked my AR and I can chamber a round from bolt forward to retracted and return to battery without touching the FA,.. just easing the bolt forward there was enough spring pressure to chamber the round once it was out of the feed lips.

But it was a lot noisier than clicking a safety off of a sidearm or secondary weapon..

John

Please review the 7 P's of success with the added 8th. P PREPARATION

Edited by LngRngShtr
Come again ? what in gods name if you are in a SHTF situation are you doing with an empty weapon ? I can not foresee any time in a "SHTF" situation any weapon would be unloaded and need to be loaded almost silently ...for any reason and if you can come up with a good reason,.theirs your reason for having a second weapon locked and loaded and ready

Just checked my AR and I can chamber a round from bolt forward to retracted and return to battery without touching the FA,.. just easing the bolt forward there was enough spring pressure to chamber the round once it was out of the feed lips.

But it was a lot noisier than clicking a safety off of a sidearm or secondary weapon..

John

Please review the 7 P's of success with the added 8th. P PREPARATION

You can't foresee any time? Really? So, you can't imagine actually running your weapon dry, moving to better cover/concealment, and not wanting to give your new position away? You can't imagine shooting suppressed from a concealed position and not being able to transition safely? You can't imagine having to find and fight with a battlefield pick-up after running both your primary and secondary weapons dry? You might wanna review those 7 P's yourself, as it sounds like you're far less prepared for Murphy than you should be.

I'm thankful for short-sighted folks, because they'll help folks like me survive longer by giving the zombies something to gnaw on... B)

And back to the topic of the FA: A wise man once said, "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." Just sayin'...

all of mine are slick sides, only the wife has a FA because you have to use the TAC 2 upper in the briefcase (lap top case) model.

also I DO NOT WANT mine to be something tact cool. i use one for 3 gun and rifle matches. i have to disagree that it hurts resale. it like anything it is what the buyer is looking for. my long range AR does not even have a charging handle.