HCP time frame

Guest possumbarnes

Guest possumbarnes

I took the carry class just this morning (6/25). I will be stopping by the DMV either Monday or Tuesday (probably Tuesday 6/28) to fill out the application and get fingerprinted. Now, we'll just have to see how long it takes to get the permit in my hand.

You see, I'm not used to all these hoops you have to jump through here in TN to get a permit. I carried in AL before moving up here to eastern TN this past February, and it took me all of 10 minutes and $20 to get my AL permit. No fingerprints or background check of any type down there.

UPDATE: 6/27 - Stopped in at the Strawberry Plains DMV location today at 1:35pm. I spent about 30 seconds in line getting the application. Then, it took about 3 minutes to fill out the application. Then, I sat in those ridiculously uncomfortable chairs for an hour and 40 minutes before they finally called my number. (NOTE: Never go to the DMV before 2:30pm) After getting that done, I registered for the fingerprinting and hit the closest UPS Store in Halls. Fingerprints were done at about 4:00pm. Now the wait begins.

UPDATE: 7/11 - Received HCP in the mail today! I can finally not feel NAKED while out and about! Two weeks exactly from the day I had my fingerprints taken. Not too bad.

Edited by possumbarnes
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ArmaDeFuego

If you get your fingerprints taken electronically its quite a bit faster I've heard. I had mine taken electronically & got my permit in the mail 19 days later. Lately it looks like it takes right around 20 days or so. Someone posted on here the other day where they got theirs in 17 days.

I carried in AL before moving up here to eastern TN this past February, and it took me all of 10 minutes and $20 to get my AL permit. No fingerprints or background check of any type down there.

The Tennessee HCP is more widely recognized outside our borders. Promise it's worth the wait :rolleyes:

When I got mine two years ago, it only took 10 days to issue from the day I finished my part. It took another week after that to receive it, for a round trip total of 17 days. My prediction is that it will be in your hands by the middle of July.

Guest 808-South
I took the carry class just this morning (6/25). I will be stopping by the DMV either Monday or Tuesday (probably Tuesday 6/28) to fill out the application and get fingerprinted. Now, we'll just have to see how long it takes to get the permit in my hand.You see, I'm not used to all these hoops you have to jump through here in TN to get a permit. I carried in AL before moving up here to eastern TN this past February, and it took me all of 10 minutes and $20 to get my AL permit. No fingerprints or background check of any type down there.
Ahahahaha.....where we in the same class together? Sevier indoor range?
Guest 808-South
If you get your fingerprints taken electronically its quite a bit faster I've heard. I had mine taken electronically & got my permit in the mail 19 days later. Lately it looks like it takes right around 20 days or so. Someone posted on here the other day where they got theirs in 17 days.
Do you know where I can go to get my prints done electronically? Im in Sevier county. Knoxville?
Guest 808-South
I know if you are willing to go over 1 county to blount, gunny's has the electronic fingerprint setup.
Is that a gunshop? Dmv? Range? Address would be cool. Please excuse my ignorance. Im new here and dont know my way around yet.
Is that a gunshop? Dmv? Range? Address would be cool. Please excuse my ignorance. Im new here and dont know my way around yet.

Gunny's is a gun store/range in Maryville.

The DMV where you apply for permit will supply you with a list of places for the electronic prints.

Most in Knoxville seem to wind up at the UPS store in Halls. (north Knoxville past Fountain City on Broadway/Maynardville Pike.)

- OS

Guest possumbarnes
Ahahahaha.....where we in the same class together? Sevier indoor range?

Yep. That's the class. My name's David. I was shooting the Taurus in the first group on the range. Who you be?

Guest 808-South
Yep. That's the class. My name's David. I was shooting the Taurus in the first group on the range. Who you be?
Im the guy from Hawaii.
Guest tommy62
I know if you are willing to go over 1 county to blount, gunny's has the electronic fingerprint setup.

Most UPS stores do electronic fingerprints.

Guest nysos

I work about 10 minutes from gunny's so after I did my paperwork, I dropped by the next day after work and got my permit in 2 weeks. I work in school systems and had to be fingerprinted for a TBI check just for my job, and that is where I went since it was so close to our office so I knew about gunny's even before I got a list.

Guest 808-South
wow man, you must have taken a super super long route. From seveir county, it should not have taken 2 hours to go to blount county. :shrug:
Im deep in the woods. Takes me 15 mins just to get to town. I went thru Chapman then, if I remember correctly, on to 35. It was a beautiful drive. I left the house 9:15am arrived at Gunnys at 10:45am. They opened at 11am.
Guest TNScrambler

I did mine earlier this year, from the day I was fingerprinted till the day I got it in the mail was 1 day shy of 3 weeks.

Justin