Olympic Arms

With the issues I am having from my AK, which seems to be a receiver issue, I am thinking of changing platforms.

I have been interested in a black rifle for a while, and pondered for a time building a BCM. However the more and more I look I am interested in a CAR-15/XM177E1 style rifle. I like the fixed carry handle and compactness of it.

Now the problem that I am finding it that Olympic Arms is the only manufacturer I can find that produces an off the shelf version. 11.5" barrel, with a 5" pinned muzzle device. I have been enamored with the CAR-15 ever since I read about John Rourke using them in Jerry Ahern's Survivalist.

Now I understand that Olympic Arms has some mixed reviews. I have found the rifle on Bud's at what I consider a decent price. I could buy another Arsenal for the price, but I would prefer to keep my AK and tinker on it and just pick up a new platform.

So what is the general consensus? Worth it? Not worth it? If it is worth it, what pieces would be first to upgrade? BCG?

The one I am looking at is the K3B-CAR.

I have trouble trusting anything Oly Arms. They seem to be like Century Arms, really--if you get a good one, they're okay; but if you happen across a bad one, it can be terrible. My brother bought one when he first tried the AR platform (and believe me, that's why he cusses the platform now). The magazine well wasn't up to spec (the mag we got with the rifle didn't fit), it would constantly have issues with the BCG, even when clean. It was a nightmare.

You would be better off saving a few pennies and buying something better, or piecing together your own.

i have an extra upper like that its not an oly but i built seversl of them years ago catch me in knoxville at the next show i will bring one with me i like them because i built thrm with slow twist barrels makes a great home or car gun

• Like 1

DPMS makes 11.5" upper with a 5.5" Flash Hider pinned all on an A2 upper (carry handle)

I'd go DPMS, at least you know what you're getting.

DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

As for upgrades the standard BCG will work fine.

But it could be better, all depends on how you use it.

Maintenance will be better with a Chrome lined Carrier.

The DPMS might be chrome lined Carriers now, but it doesn't say.

It just says it is heat treated and coated per Mil-Spec.

If it were chrome lined I'm sure they would say.

That's a good selling point (not that you NEED it)

I've heard they are not, but I can't say for sure. Never owned one.

mine have colt uppers and colt barrels that were 20 inch hbars but have been cut to 11.5 inches not trying to sell you one but tou can build one for 200.00 bucks or less if you build one be sure tio get a slower twist barrel it makes a great rifle out to 250 yards and with 55 grain hornady sx bullets you wouldnt belive what it will do to a praire dogs

• Like 1

Why not get a 14.5" barrel with 1.5" pinned muzzle device? You're losing a lot of velocity going to 11.5" and gaining nothing in return.

ETA: And no, I wouldn't buy anything from Olympic.

Edited by JeffL

To be honest it is all about the aesthetics to me.

I am sure it won't be the only black rifle I buy/build. It will just be a start. However, the XM177E1 style is one I have always liked. I figure why not start there. Next on the list would be an A2 style 20".

If it puts holes in paper reliably I will be happy with it.

If you want a starter for plinking and such, there are a few better alternatives out that you can get as cheap, if not cheaper. I paid a little over $850 out the door for my Del-Ton, and that brand is much prefered over Olympic Arms. I got mine from Frontier Firearms off I-40, in Kingston. They're great people to deal with and that will be my one and only gunshop.

they shoot real good with proper loads and there would be a small loss of bullet speed but not enough to worry about

the 11.5 inch barrel with a 1-10 1-12 twist makes a very good platform when used with 55.62 grain bullets

Guest GAD601

Another thing to take into consideration, Olympic Arms also states that if you fire Wolf or any other steel cased surplus ammo it will void the factory warrenty.

Guest iScream

I guess I got lucky and got a good one. I traded for a complete Olly rifle a while back. I put 4 or 5 hundred rounds through it and then took the upper and pinned it to a PSA lower I built up. Obviously this is a sample of one single rife but I've put another 7 or 8 hundred rounds through it since then without a single issue. It's reasonably accurate too.

I'm sure BCM or some company like that does make a better product but, from my limited experience with them, it wouldn't bother me to have another Olly upper.

It does seem like a lot of the negative comments I've read about them on arfcom was more about their lowers. Had I read those comments before I traded, I probably wouldn't have done the deal. That would have been a shame since I would have missed out on what seems to be a pretty good upper.

BTW, I didn't switch out the lower due to any particular problem. I built two identical PSA lowers and put a 22LR upper on the other one. Just wanted the two rifles to match.

-Chris