Ruger 77/357

Capbyrd

Many of you are familiar with the Ruger 77 series bolt action rifle. There are currently three models available with the Ruger rotary mag, the 77/22, 77/17and 77/44.

Well now they are adding the 77/357 to that lineup.

7405.jpg

The rotary magazine will hold 5 rounds of 357.

I've always thought it would be cool to have a matching pair of Rugers that consisted of a 77/44 and a Redhawk. But since the 357 is a caliber that I am much more likely to use, this may take its place.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

Okay, ya'll gotta stop showing stuff like this! I'm trying to reduce, consolidate and refine. I don't need this rifle. But I think it would complement my SP101 nicely.

Solution. Send me the SP101, then you won't have to be worried about needing a matching rifle. ;)

It's neat, but...Why chamber a bolt gun in .357? Don't get me wrong, I like the round and I like bolt actions. I just don't think the two go well together. It seems to me that a lever action or semi auto makes more sense as a .357 carbine. Even the single shot makes more sense to me.

I guess that's why we don't all have the same taste in firearms.

It's neat, but...Why chamber a bolt gun in .357? Don't get me wrong, I like the round and I like bolt actions. I just don't think the two go well together. It seems to me that a lever action or semi auto makes more sense as a .357 carbine. Even the single shot makes more sense to me.

Heck, I have a Marlin 1894 in .357, but I still kind of want it. Of course, I kind of want them all. :D

- OS

I agree. A bolt rifle in a handgun cartridge doesn't seem right. A nice lever in 357, however, is awesome.

Downer

"The Ruger Model 77/357TM is chambered only for the centerfire .357 Magnum cartridge and should not be used with any other .357 caliber ammunition."

So much for plinkin' with .38's.

Mehh Ruger is always covering their butt with disclaimers. You know as well as I it will work just fine.

I do have to say, with the rather obvious exception of cost, you've got nothing to gain by plinking with 38's here. In a pistol, obviously, recoil and noise are a factor, but in this platform both will be nonexistent. As a handloader, I can't see any reason to use 38's in the thing.....but I would without hesitation. On the same note as above [Ruger covering their butt] Ruger also purposely builds actions above and beyond the needed strength for any given cartridge. This isn't a free pass to foolish reloading practices, but I think one would have to purposely set out to destroy a M77 chambered in .357 mag and even then I wonder if it could be done.

Mehh Ruger is always covering their butt with disclaimers. You know as well as I it will work just fine.

Agree, I dunno how the chamber could be a no go for .38, safety-wise anyway.

But I can see how .38 wouldn't work with the rotary mag. After all, .22 short won't work with the 10/22LR rotary mag.

- OS

You will probably foul up the chamber with lead if you feed it a steady diet of .38s. I'd love to have one of these!

DANG! Just checked out the MSRP on Ruger's website! They are mighty proud of them! MSRP is $793. This should be around the $450-$500 mark. That's a bit high IMO.

..DANG! Just checked out the MSRP on Ruger's website! They are mighty proud of them! MSRP is $793. This should be around the $450-$500 mark. That's a bit high IMO.
Much like that Scout rifle, yes, way overpriced.

Well, you can always buy those other cheaper .357 bolt guns and .308 scout rifles, you know, those made by ummm, who?

- OS

Guest Sgt. Joe
I like the idea a lot but I'm not a big fan of that stock. Will they have other options? I would prefer wood furniture.

Ditto that.

And what is up with Ruger these days? It seems they release something new every week anymore.:D

I aint complaining but they sure have released a lot of new guns lately.:)

Ditto that.

And what is up with Ruger these days? It seems they release something new every week anymore.:D

I aint complaining but they sure have released a lot of new guns lately.:)

Yeah, wish I had thrown big bucks into their stock back during the "no honest man needs more than 10 rounds" days.

- OS

You will probably foul up the chamber with lead if you feed it a steady diet of .38s. I'd love to have one of these!DANG! Just checked out the MSRP on Ruger's website! They are mighty proud of them! MSRP is $793. This should be around the $450-$500 mark. That's a bit high IMO.
Street prices on rugers are never close to msrp. I expect this to be in the 600-650 range.