Carry or not to carry???....IWB or OWB???

Guest 808-South

Guest 808-South

JAB is "BOSS".....Right on!!! Thanks for the pics..... Im a big guy as well. Not as tall but I got the "gut of experience"....LOL

I just paid for my HCP class 15mins ago. Will be taking the class this Saturday. Also looked at the same pistol ruger p95......Im thinking of the sr9c.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JAB is "BOSS".....Right on!!! Thanks for the pics..... Im a big guy as well. Not as tall but I got the "gut of experience"....LOL

I just paid for my HCP class 15mins ago. Will be taking the class this Saturday. Also looked at the same pistol ruger p95......Im thinking of the sr9c.

where are you taking yours? me and my other half took ours this past weekend.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

Racism is silly & something I will never understand.

I am married to a woman who is a different race than I am. I dont see what the big deal is. People are people. Their race should never really enter into any equation. If someone says it does they are just showing their ignorance.

I lived in Mexico for a few years & I actually got to experience racism. (After growing up in the Southern US as a pasty white guy.) Believe it or not, but there are quite a few people in Mexico who really dont like us "gringos" & dont mind telling you so. I never really paid them any attention. Why is it any of my business if they are dumb enough to think that just because someone's skin is a certain color they are going to act a certain way or be a certain way? Its silly.

With that being said, feel free to carry however you want to 808. I got a IWB & a OWB holster & I use them both. Just depends on whatever mood I'm in. If for some reason I was going somewhere were I wanted to be a little more discreet I would probably go with my IWB, since it does conceal quite a bit better on my frame.

The reason I am saying all this is. I am being dicouraged to not carry at all, by my family members. Reason being, if I come across some gun toting idiot that hates my brown skin. I gave him an excuse to draw on me.

Looks like your fam's been drinking the "anti kool-aid" in Hawaii a little too long.

I'm not exactly the whitest of white guys either. Been asked about "my heritage" and have been called a lot of things I'd sooner not repeat. It's not stopping me any from carrying. I find gun folks to be quite the opposite of what your relatives might think. That's the problem with "anti's"... is their emotions get in the way of logic and facts and the reality is often quite the opposite of their beliefs.

Carry On

Guest 808-South
Looks like your fam's been drinking the "anti kool-aid" in Hawaii a little too long.

I'm not exactly the whitest of white guys either. Been asked about "my heritage" and have been called a lot of things I'd sooner not repeat. It's not stopping me any from carrying. I find gun folks to be quite the opposite of what your relatives might think. That's the problem with "anti's"... is their emotions get in the way of logic and facts and the reality is often quite the opposite of their beliefs.

Carry On

With everything there is a bad side. And many may be good people, but there is many that also hate. I didnt mention, Im 1/4 Scotch Irish but you wouldnt know it by looking at me. Its my white family from Tennesse that is trying,to discourage me.

But I still plan on carrying. I want to be part of the reason a criminal thinks twice on victimizing the innocent.

Thank you everyone on your opinions and information. It is all greatly appreciated.

Guest 270win

The only way I honestly carry a handgun in public now is either in a pocket holster or an ankle holster, depending on what I wear. I have carried a larger handgun inside waist band holster and that seems to conceal well but isn't that comfortable for me for long periods, especially in a car. It pushed up into my side. That sometimes made me pull the rig out and put in the glovebox and then put the rig back on when going into rest stops...big hassle when on long trips. That's what made me get a dedicated small carry gun which is a snub hammerless revolver. No one can ever find such a gun unless I go through a metal detector as long as you use the right holster.

I tried outside waist band belt holsters (when I carried a compact automatic), like paddle holsters, and they never seemed to hold the gun close enough to my body to conceal under a T shirt w/ shorts as well as inside the waist holsters. I do use a regular belt holster for carrying a full sized gun when walking in the woods because I don't care if someone sees my gun.

Guest FHTMcrt

Nothing you wrote in your initial post could offend anyone. If you perceive that someone hates you for the color of your skin, my guess they don't even know you, so it isn't you personally they hate. Let it go.

It's none of your family's business whether or not you carry. It sounds as though they run scared and would have you do the same. Just carry concealed when you're around them and don't discuss the matter. There are those in my family (some, not all) who wouldn't let me in the door if they knew I carried. Therefore, although vocal on gun issues, I don't discuss the fact that I'm carrying concealed in their house(s). When I carry concealed, I'm either carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT or a P32 (depending on weight of clothing) in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I'll sometimes place a folded bandana between the holster and pants pocket if I think that fabric will print.

When I'm going about my everyday business, I'll carry a Kel-Tec PF9 with a belt clip inside my waistband. That is the most comfortable for me. Only a little of the handle shows, but I don't get stared at often...not that I care, mind you.

I dare say that the way you dress while open-carrying will more likely be what either triggers, or doesn't trigger, alarm.

Good luck and welcome to Tennessee.

B)

I'm a American, born & raised in Hawaii. And I do have my original long form birth certificate....ahahahahaha.... Saying that, Just to say I'm not white. Ive been mistaken for samoan, chinese, japanese and also been called mexican. I was asked to see my papers once. And even asked if I had to file papers to leave Hawaii.

The reason I am saying all this is. I am being dicouraged to not carry at all, by my family members. Reason being, if I come across some gun toting idiot that hates my brown skin. I gave him an excuse to draw on me. If I carry OWB then it may be seen as a threat by a hater. Or If I carry IWB, if seen he may think Im hiding a illegal gun, since he thinks im a illegal alien anyway. And may draw on me.

Discrimination still exist to think otherwise is either your in denial, stupid or a racist yourself.

I plan on conceal carry. But wanted others opinion on the matter.

Im not writing this to offend anyone. Im new to TN and is experiencing culture shock. And is trying to educate myself of the ways of TN life. Ive met alot of beautiful nice heartful people here, but I also met some that hate me.

Guest waldo

IWB or OWB concealed or open carry has been beaten to death. I always IWB concealed. Here is one reason. I was in a gas station a week ago and was in line behind a biker that was OWB open carrying. Totally his right to do so, but I could not get over how easy it would be for me to grab his gun out of his holster. No strap to undo, just grab it and he is unarmed.

Guest 808-South
Take the Florida Gators shirt off and get something orange with a "T" on it!

I got the Hawaii Warriors Black & Green on......ahahahaha

IWB or OWB concealed or open carry has been beaten to death. I always IWB concealed. Here is one reason. I was in a gas station a week ago and was in line behind a biker that was OWB open carrying. Totally his right to do so, but I could not get over how easy it would be for me to grab his gun out of his holster. No strap to undo, just grab it and he is unarmed.

Not if he had some other type of retention in place (lock, tension screw). There are plenty of open top holsters that have this.

Guest clownsdd

I agree it is your choice and some great comments here, but.....It is up to you to attempt to educate your family about guns. Make life a lot easier. Heck, take them shooting.

...just grab it and he is unarmed.

Not if he carries a BUG.

Not if he had some other type of retention in place (lock, tension screw). There are plenty of open top holsters that have this.

Seriously, though, this.

Even a simple, cheap FOBUS with good retention can be difficult to remove a gun from if you aren't pulling it out at the correct angle (as in the angle from which a person wearing the holster on the belt would be pulling.) Some FOBUS models have screws to adjust (tighten) retention, as well. Before the passage of the law allowing carry where alcohol is served, I liked paddle holsters because they are so easy to remove and put back on if I were going to eat at a place where the law prevented me from carrying (I don't like carrying an empty holster - seems to me like an advertisement that there is an unattended firearm in your vehicle.) Since that law passed, as much as I like leather holsters, I still like the paddle holsters a lot because they give good retention while not having straps, thumb breaks, etc. to slow me down if I need my gun "right now".

Edited by JAB
... If I carry OWB then it may be seen as a threat by a hater. Or If I carry IWB, if seen he may think Im hiding a illegal gun, since he thinks im a illegal alien anyway. And may draw on me....

Welcome to Tennessee. Most people will not know you are armed, if you properly conceal your gun.