What's your def for a Military Rifle in the event of an all out war ?

Folks who have commented negatively about a lever action 30-30 and the like have failed to consider one, important thing. You say that ammo for the 30-30 will be scarce, etc. but believe that you can pick up 5.56 ammo from 'the battlefield'. What such comments fail to consider is that, if a fallen enemy is well stocked with 5.56 ammo then that enemy probably also has a weapon that will fire said round. Therefore, the person carrying a 30-30 only needs to drop one enemy then, if necessary, he will have a firearm that will chamber/fire the supposedly ubiquitous 5.56 round.

Personally, though, I'm not buying it. One reason I wanted to have a couple of 9mm guns is because all the talk about how that round would 'always' be available. The recent ammo shortage proved that to be false as everyone else was, apparently, thinking the same thing. So, when you guys are done raiding Walmart and the gun stores, fighting over that last box of 5.56, the 30-30 guys can stroll in there and stock up on that 'useless' 30-30 that no one wants because it will be so hard to find.

I also thought I would grab my 30-30 but have come to realize that it has a serious disadvantage. Sustained rate of fire. After 15 rounds in a few minutes, it is too hot to hold. The AR-15 can sustain at least 12-15 rounds a minute. That could be a big advantage.

Glenn

I also thought I would grab my 30-30 but have come to realize that it has a serious disadvantage. Sustained rate of fire. After 15 rounds in a few minutes, it is too hot to hold. The AR-15 can sustain at least 12-15 rounds a minute. That could be a big advantage.

Glenn

I don't know what movies some of you are fantasizing about, but in reality, if a tube full of 30-30 ammo doesn't improve things, you are very likely screwed anyway. In threads such as these, most people assume they will be the hero who escapes certain disaster unscathed. Here in realityville, it just doesn't pan out that way.

I don't know what movies some of you are fantasizing about, but in reality, if a tube full of 30-30 ammo doesn't improve things, you are very likely screwed anyway. In threads such as these, most people assume they will be the hero who escapes certain disaster unscathed. Here in realityville, it just doesn't pan out that way.

That is kind of my viewpoint, too. I'm 40 years old, have had problems with a weak heart muscle and have other health related issues. If I find myself in a situation where 'sustained fire' is necessary to survival then I've seriously screwed up and I'll be dead regardless of what rifle I have.

Edited by JAB

I figure I'll get off about 5 rounds before I get killed. SKS or Mosin fits me and I can shoot either well enough. My cz 70 for social distances.

Also, I'm figuring it's going to be us against whoever the republicans send to collect the weaponry. They dearly hate anyone to have the ability to fight back.

I will not go gently into the night. Head shots

Edited by bajabuc