What's your def for a Military Rifle in the event of an all out war ?

Guest Sgt. Joe
I need an AK...

Yup, as much as I love my AR platform I have sure been thinking the same thing.

Variety they say is the Spice:)

• 1 month later...
Guest CCFD1414

All I have right now is a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and an 16" AR, but out of the 2 I would take the 91/30 due to the fact that I can dissemble and reassemble it with my eyes closed, I know that gun like the back of my hand. I know my AR pretty good but not as good as my 91/30

• 3 months later...
Guest WRustyLane

My first choice would be an AK-47 as my primary weapon with a 9mm on my hip. I'm not a real fan of the AR or the M-16 since I'm a Vietnam vet. I've always had bad experiences with the M-16. The AK round is .30 compared to the 5.56mm AR round and makes a bigger hole. I've seen 5.56 go completely through a person and not hit anything important enough to be a kill shot. In this case, I believe "bigger is better".

Guest Don't-Tread-On-Me

Besides an assortment of side arms .22, 9mm, .38/.357, .40, .45, .50cal ...

Although my Saber AR is my favorite...I have made sure I have a "black-gun" in several different calibers, .22, 223/5.56, 7.62x39, 308, 50cal ...

If I need anything else the abandoned homes and the dead will supply me with plenty...

If some unholy war broke out where every able bodied man were pulled into it, I would hope I could have a 556 pistol with maybe 3 round burst fire mode. Low weight, moderate range, high cap, etc --- a GI ruggedized and militarized version of my PLR16 with a forend grip would be ideal for ME. If I need more range they can give us a sniper rifle, but I am not going to lug it around. Or one of the bullpup designs, long as the overall length is short and the weight is low, on top of the other things listed.

Hmm. Short length, low weight, easy to operate, larger caliber preferred. I have to agree with these considering we're in Tennessee. You get in the woods where you won't be seen from to far away, so you don't need 1000+ yard range from your rifle. Get up in the trees, or take cover in the mountains like some of the Cherokee did. I wonder what the perfect rifle for this situation would be. It almost sounds like the perfect rifle for this would be some kind of scout rifle. Maybe a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle.

I think the AK's inaccurcays are caused by crappy ammo more so than the weapon's design. After all you feed any rifle crap ammo it is going to shoot like crap.

Dolomite

Exactly. Who makes match grade 7.62x39? For the same reason they don't make 30-30 match ammo. Yet both those rounds have killed far more men and game than just about any other calibers. Either way I'm grabbing the AK and let my wife and kids carry the AR.

Edited by Smith
Exactly. Who makes match grade 7.62x39? For the same reason they don't make 30-30 match ammo. Yet both those rounds have killde for men and game than just about any other calibers. Either way I'm grabbing the AK and let my wife and kids carry the AR.

Sigh. Just when I thought you had come around ;)

Guest Lester Weevils
If some unholy war broke out where every able bodied man were pulled into it, I would hope I could have a 556 pistol with maybe 3 round burst fire mode. Low weight, moderate range, high cap, etc --- a GI ruggedized and militarized version of my PLR16 with a forend grip would be ideal for ME.

That is a good point. One could keep an extra fore-grip in the drawer for the PLR-16, in case things got so bad that the ATF's disapproval of pistol fore-grips might become the least immediate of one's concerns.

Have you run your PLR-16 enough to know how long it will run dirty before it starts malfing? I haven't shot mine that much, and never more than about 100 rds before cleaning. Ought to work it a little more often I guess.

Edited by Lester Weevils

I would grab a 30-30 lever because of the stopping power is good enough and the weight is low. I can reload that faster than a bolt and is is more reliable than an auto. I agree with the long range shot not really being an issue because of the mountains, but I can easily hit at 250 with that. It may not kill them first shot at 250+ but the second should.

I would grab a 30-30 lever because of the stopping power is good enough and the weight is low. I can reload that faster than a bolt and is is more reliable than an auto. I agree with the long range shot not really being an issue because of the mountains, but I can easily hit at 250 with that. It may not kill them first shot at 250+ but the second should.

My Marlin 336 weighs 7 lbs without an optic. My AR-15 carbines weigh 7 pounds with optics. If an AR-15 is the least bit unreliable, it's the fault of the owner. Not trying to be argumentative... just worried you're gonna get shot up. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cardcutter

I am no fan of the ar platform.( In the gulf I made my Marines show me a clean rifle before they were issued MREs every day)

The scenario,however, is an all out war. Proficiency in military weapons is paramount. Wally world will not be there to grab a box of 30/30s and unless you have thousands of rounds stored up it is soon going to be a paper weight. I will go with my AR, My glock in 9mm,and my Spanish Mauser in 308. Not because they are my best or my favorites but because that is what you will find on a modern battlefield. If the enemy is using Warsaw block calibers then you acquire and resupply weapons from them as needed.

The more important thing is that you be able to use them effectively. Not just accuracy,which is obviously important, keeping them up and running, immediate action drills, remedial actions, and basic gun smithing and cleaning. And above all else being able to hit when it counts.

In this day and time, our enemy would most likely be street gangs (bloods, crips, ect., ect..). Most can't hit squat anyways because they lack proper technique for shooting. My weapon of choice based on our current society is a Remington 870 Express Magnum with a 24 inch smoothbore slug barrel, and scoped with a 4x32 scope. This combo of mine shoots slugs very, very well. Three inch 00 Buck is no slouch at 40 yards or less. All backed up with my 1911 .45 ACP with 200 grain XTP Hollow Points. My game is "backdoor" I'm coming after you type of warfare! That's how I roll!

after 21 years of the army i trust my ar because i know it is clean because i clean it after every use.if you do not ?? after that my vz58 with red dot or mak 90 .for long range my k98 sniper rifle.also keep a few sks's for family.

• 2 months later...

I love my AR-15, but for simplicity and ruggedness, I will take an AK every time. Accuracy may not be up to that given by an AR, but it goes boom every time and given the local terrain I'm in, I can't picture myself engaging anything past 200-300 meters.

Sidearm will be a CZ-82. 9mm makarov. Not a 45 ACP, but it does hold 12 in the mag and 1 in the pipe. Ambi safety and mag release and very controllable for me. The AK and the CZ-82 stay close and the chest rig is stocked with full mags to feed both. Extra mags/ammo stored here and there of course.

Edited by EMB145

God forbid it should come to pass, But if I had to grab one itรขโ‚ฌโ„ขd be one of my AKรขโ‚ฌโ„ขs. Thatรขโ‚ฌโ„ขs because I have the most trigger time on it recentlyรขโ‚ฌยฆthe past 7 years or so.

As itรขโ‚ฌโ„ขs said, if your training isnรขโ‚ฌโ„ขt Recent,Relevant,and Realistic, you may have trouble waiting around the corner.

For me, thatรขโ‚ฌโ„ขd be my AK.

It really depends on how much time I have to prepare,

but will include one of the 6.8's and several Glocks.

Beyond that I'm too old to tote much and I will use my

pack mule son to do any heavy lifting and his main

piece will be that Saiga 12 and an AR with a couple

Glocks hung around his neck. I blew the comp off

that AMD 65 and have to get it re-welded, so I'm

not happy with my AK right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk