Traveling to southern Kalifornia for a week, what would you do.

Guest TackleberryTom

Guest TackleberryTom

I most likely will have to go to van nuys for a weeks worth of work. I was wondering if anyone had any experience traveling there with a firearm. I rarely ever go anywhere without my firearm. What would you do.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you do.

Leave my guns at home.

I use to go there 4 times a year. I checked a handgun through once to go shooting with a friend, I wouldn't do it again.

You can't carry there, and I wouldn't risk it.

I lived in San Diego for 16 years, thanks to Uncle Sam. I dont know anything about Van Nuys, but do eat some GOOD Mexican food while you are there. Just be warned that once you eat it you WILL be disgusted with what passes for Mexican back here.

We would go to LA several times a month. I have been pulled over in Calif with my xd sub 9 LOCKED in a safe with the mag locked in another safe inside of that. The HWY Patrol gave me crap and said that I needed to unload my clip and store the ammo in a seperate locked area away from the mag, away from the gun and the ammo had to be out of reach from anyone while they were buckled up! Also if you have a HICAP be prepared to get arrested or at a min get swift verbal warning and confiscation of the clip..

I recommend leave it at home. But best of luck to you on your trip

Guest TackleberryTom
I lived in San Diego for 16 years, thanks to Uncle Sam. I dont know anything about Van Nuys, but do eat some GOOD Mexican food while you are there. Just be warned that once you eat it you WILL be disgusted with what passes for Mexican back here.

I worked in LA 5 years ago and loved the mex food there. You are 100% correct.

Well, thanks for the replies. Kinda what I figured anyway. Just hoping I don't have to go there at all.

...I have been pulled over in Calif with my xd sub 9 LOCKED in a safe with the mag locked in another safe inside of that. The HWY Patrol gave me crap ...

So, how did they even know you had it? What's rest of story?

- OS

Guest 270win

If you are flying, use a hard sided lockable case that meets the requirements for the airlines and feds. Take your handgun out there for the hotel. Make sure that you don't take magazines that hold more than ten rounds or take a revolver. You can have your handgun in the hotel room out there. Honestly, it isn't any different than Tennessee for folks without a handgun carry permit if you visit. You should transport your handgun in the trunk of your rental car in its case.

Some places are tough to get a pistol license, some are easy for residents. A visitor to the state can bring a firearm to California with no problems. Anyone who would tell you otherwise because your pistol license/handgun carry permit is not recognized is silly. You just can't carry your handgun in public or loaded in a car.

Guest TackleberryTom
Take Your Handgun For Hotel

If you are flying, use a hard sided lockable case that meets the requirements for the airlines and feds. Take your handgun out there for the hotel. Make sure that you don't take magazines that hold more than ten rounds or take a revolver. You can have your handgun in the hotel room out there. Honestly, it isn't any different than Tennessee for folks without a handgun carry permit if you visit. You should transport your handgun in the trunk of your rental car in its case.

Some places are tough to get a pistol license, some are easy for residents. A visitor to the state can bring a firearm to California with no problems. Anyone who would tell you otherwise because your pistol license/handgun carry permit is not recognized is silly.

I have flown recently a few times and brought the pistols with no problems whatsoever. And places that I travel occasionally like WI and IL, well, I brought them too.

My line of work brings me to parts of towns that are sometimes kinda rough. Having a few thousand $$ worth of tools with me and staying in hotels possibly makes me a more attractive target (probably my only attractive quality) So I never leave home without them. This Kalifornia trip is the first time I have had to think about whether or not I bring my gun. It's not like I am going to a low/no crime area either.

You just can't carry your handgun in public or loaded in a car.

Pretty much what I used to do before I had my permit. I still had the firearms, just not carried the same as I do now.

OS, He asked, I told. Simple as that. Got pulled over for doing 60mph pulling a trailer in Calif its 55mph when pulling trailer. I gave him my registration card for Vegas metro and my CCW cards. He pulled everyone out of the truck asked me to open the safe to show him to make sure there were no "illegal" weapons and gave me the ticket for speeding and warned me for the ammo and made me unload the ammo and sent us on our way. End of story. He really wasnt being a dick other than there were semi trucks passing me and other people pulling trailers that he picked us out of all them. And I guess he just wanted to throw his weight around.

I'd leave my gun at home. Been to CA several times over the past decade or so: SD, LA, SF and various surrounding regions. Haven't been to Van Nuys since 1980, but it was nice when I was out there then. I didn't carry a gun any of those times.

Worry less, enjoy your time out there. That's my advice.

Guest 270win

Nothing wrong with having hotel protection. I do the same thing everywhere I go. I look at my hotel room as my home so my gun goes with me. No need for a pistol license out there to keep a handgun in your hotel room loaded or transporting in your trunk unloaded and cased. I have heard mags that hold more than 10 rounds out there can be a problem for out of staters if brought in. People who live there can own them if they've had them before a certain date. I'd like to go out there sometime and would bring my snub with me for the hotel. It sure is better than 911 if someone tries to break in on you in your hotel room.

Guest TackleberryTom

Good news for me....I don't have to go out there now. I get to stay here in my area for the rest of this week and part of next week instead. Whew. Much happier now.

Guest 270win

That is good that you get to stay home instead of having to travel for work. Hotels, no matter where, are never as good as home in my book!