Selling bottles of liquor to another person?

Hey guys, wondering what you all might know about this. I was given/inherited some bottles of liquor, and among it was some liquors that I don't like (cognac.) I was wondering if it was legal to sell those bottles I don't like to buy bottles I DO like (like whiskey!)

This is what I found in TN Code 57-3-404, and it seems like it would not be legal:

(a) It is unlawful for any person in this state to buy any alcoholic beverages herein defined from any person, who, to the knowledge of the buyer, does not hold the appropriate license under the laws of this state authorizing the sale of such beverages to the buyer.

To me, it sounds like I couldn't sell it. But there's nothing that I've found about trading bottles if I found someone who might have what I want and I have what they want.

Matthew

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that law is in place to stop bootleg sales of alcohol. By that I mean guys who go and buy half pints by the case and sell them on the corner after hours for the purpose of making money.

I seriously doubt that you would be breaking any laws by selling your vintage hootch to another adult of drinking age.

All the time people who live in outlying areas that are dry, give money to neighbors who are making a run to Knoxville for the purpose of buying spirits to buy some for them. I saw it daily when I worked retail liquor.

But what bothers me most, is WTF is wrong with you? Don't like Cognac? Are you kidding. What kind is it? Maybe we can work out a deal, LOL.

I can give you an idea of what its worth, I am in the biz.

What do you like best?

Edited by Mike.357
Guest Lester Weevils

Many years ago I drank some cognac. Didn't know anything about cognac.

Was playing piano in a hotel bar and a wealthy customer kept sending rounds of cognac up to the stage for the whole band. Drank maybe 4 shots over a couple of hours.

Was seriously wasted almost til daybreak. The effect kept getting stronger for several hours afterwards. Alcohol usually doesn't affect me that way. I was good and ready for the effect to go away a long time before it finally wore off.

I mean, even with pure alcohol you can only get 1 ounce of alcohol in 1 ounce? The cognac seemed more potent than the same amount of pure alcohol.

Haven't drunk any cognac since. Is the stuff really that potent, or was that a freak happening?

it's you imagination lester. Alcohol is alcohol is alcohol.

Most cognac is 80 proof. It is not going to affect you any more or less than vodka or bourbon would. Maybe it was higher proof???? But still just alcohol.

The only thing that might make you feel different is that cognac is distilled from grapes not grain. But it still is just alcohol. Many people say wine makes them high, not drunk.

Guest clownsdd

Simple answer is no you can't (legally). But dealing with a friend face to face, the chances of getting "caught" are slim if you don't advertise the fact.

A trade would be the best solution.

I can give you an idea of what its worth, I am in the biz.

What do you like best?

It's Martell VS Cognac. One full 750 ML bottle, and 1/2 a 1 liter bottle. I know it's not amazing cognac, but it's not the worse stuff either.

I've also got some other spirits like like a 750ml Ron Bermudez 137 Aniversario, which seems to be a very nice rum from my research (haven't opened it yet.) Some of the bottles I don't know how good they are. They have been opened, but I am afraid that the cork may have rotted and dropped bits into the liquor becuse the top part of the cork has broken off when I tried to open them (like the bottle of drambuie!)

I am not a straight liquor drinker, I just like cocktails like whiskey sours and margaritas (I like sour over bitter.) So I tend to try and get more good whiskey and tequila over anything else.

Matthew

Guest Lester Weevils
Lester that guy sliped you a mickie.I've heard it said never pass out in a gay bar.lol. He was after that a$$.
hey, I ain't saying you weren't trashed, but Cognac is not going to trash you worse than anything else.

Maybe they were spiked?

First, apologies to Macville for drifting his thread.

It was just an idle question if maybe cognac absorbs different than other booze or has known unusual effects. Some of them like mezcal seem to be different than your typical alcohol. Was just curious.

Maybe it was doctored, but was coming via bartender and waitress, and it didn't happen any other time and I worked that joint a long time. That hotel lounge got a lot of rich folks USA and ferriners. They were typically after the girl singer rather than the guys. She was pretty cute. It was a good source of free drinks because it apparently wasn't considered sophisticated to only buy the gal drinks.

From what Mike says it ought not to have been any more potent than the usual scotch or wild turkey 101 that I would drink at that time.

Simple answer is no you can't (legally). But dealing with a friend face to face, the chances of getting "caught" are slim if you don't advertise the fact.

A trade would be the best solution.

oh BS. The law is to prevent bootlegging, not what the OP suggests. Even if caught nothing will happen.

First, apologies to Macville for drifting his thread.

It was just an idle question if maybe cognac absorbs different than other booze or has known unusual effects.From what Mike says it ought not to have been any more potent than the usual scotch or wild turkey 101 that I would drink at that time.

i dunno why it hit you so hard, but there is nothing in Cognac that is not in any other booze. Maybe empty stomach or something. Who knows?

It's Martell VS Cognac. One full 750 ML bottle, and 1/2 a 1 liter bottle. I know it's not amazing cognac, but it's not the worse stuff either.

I've also got some other spirits like like a 750ml Ron Bermudez 137 Aniversario, which seems to be a very nice rum from my research (haven't opened it yet.) Some of the bottles I don't know how good they are. They have been opened, but I am afraid that the cork may have rotted and dropped bits into the liquor becuse the top part of the cork has broken off when I tried to open them (like the bottle of drambuie!)

I am not a straight liquor drinker, I just like cocktails like whiskey sours and margaritas (I like sour over bitter.) So I tend to try and get more good whiskey and tequila over anything else.

Matthew

Martell sells for about 30 bucks give or take. VS means Very Special. All Cognac is VS. It is not very special, LOL.

The rum I have never heard of but I doubt it is anything especially worth anything.

If you don't mind bourbon or rum mixed with cola I suggest drink it up mixed that way. Cognac mixed with cola tastes good. Bottles with cork scraps in them are worthy of being poured out. Drambuie is nothing special.

He was not selling the bottles as part of his souvenir business which doesnt sell alcohol. He was making a private sale of the bottle after hours in a back room. I am not saying it is exactly the same I am just saying that selling alcohol without a license not just bootleggers is what that law covers. IMO of course.

Here is the original story. It is pretty good.

Gettin' Jacked | Cover Story | Nashville Scene

Piper will tell you what any collector would: Whether it’s a Barbie or a bottle of Jack, if you don’t take it out of the box, if you don’t break the seal or ditch the original carton, it’s worth more. And like any other collectors, folks like Piper buy, sell and trade bottles because they’re on one simple quest, and that’s to acquire more and more.

But to the ABC, Piper’s just another common criminal. He’s a modern-day bootlegger selling liquor without a license, and there’s nothing that’s going to change their minds about it. He’s not the first Tennessee collector to unwittingly go the way of the red-handed moonshiner, and he certainly won’t be the last. Such confiscations are very lucrative for the ABC because if they have their way—and they usually do—they’ll own (and, of course, sell and profit from) the collection before the case even hits court. Just ask Piper, who has been dragged through the media mire and painted as a criminal only to have the ABC turn tail and offer him a deal to call the whole thing off—after they make some money off his collection. Monetary incentive aside, the whole damn thing doesn’t make much sense, especially to Piper. “Everybody’s first reaction [to my story], without exception, is, ‘Haven’t they got better things to do than this?’ And I don’t know.”

Edited by Daniel
Guest pfries

I am interested in purchasing that box of Kleenex for say forty dollars and being as you don't want the cognac well...

I could take it off your hands if you would like.:D

I find it crazy that I can sell another TN resident a firearm FTF, but I can't sell anyone an extra bottle of booze I have laying around. Sometimes I wonder how TN got so screwed up. Of course, I would have any store be able to sell liquor if I had it my way, but I am presbyterian, not baptist;)