COLT: Law Enforcement Carbine ?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say that there is nothing wrong with the DI system. In the October 2010 issue of swat magazine they ran 26,245 rounds through a BCM EAG carbine before they cleaned it. At the writing they had 31,165 rounds through it. In the July 2010 issue of swat they had a colt 6940 with 15,600 rounds on it without cleaning. It finally had a blowout at 17,600. Based on this alone I would have to give the BCM rifle the nod over the Colt.

I have personally fired 3,000-5,000 rounds between cleanings using a work gun in an austere enviroment. It isn't pretty but I had no malfunctions whatsoever. For me cleaining after a few hundred rounds isn't a need but more of a want and that is something I do not want to do so I don't. With my main AR I have fired a lot of rounds over the course of a year and never cleaned it and as a general rule never oiled it.

Here is 5,880 rounds of Wolf without cleaning:

Cleaning ARs is for nerds. - AR15.Com Archive

Not me but someone on ARFCOM.

Here is the SWAT article about filthy #14:

http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/filthy14_oct10.pdf

Something I have always thought about. You always hear of the combloc ammo being dirty. Personally I believe they are more oily than a dry dirty like US made ammunition. Maybe there is a reason for this, to help with lubrication. When using US made ammo people always recommend oiling. But with combloc ammo the residue is already kind of oily. Maybe that is by design.

I am and have always been a run it more on the dry side than wet side kind of guy. I rarely oil any of my guns other than for corrosion resistance. I have always used DI systems but I do acknowledge the advantages of the pistol system but reliability isn't one of them. Piston system keep the heat out of the bolt and that is the only real advantage they have over the DI system. I do religiously clean and lubricate my carry guns but I use grease on those rather than any oils.

Dolomite