God, today sucks - on TV

Gee, the best stuff I could find today on TV was Arena Football and Martina McBride screaming off key on PBS. Even the dogs are bored.

Yes, there is lots of Basket-case-balls. Yawn. MARCH MADNESS! March boredness. And the Pros continue through like November, don't they?

At least we get NASCAR, such as it is, tomorrow. We have it in person (Bristol) in a couple of weeks. That sucks too. You gotta be crazy to go out locally on that (rip off the tourists) weekend. I still predict a 14" snow on that weekend some year.Any race before the end of April is iffy...

Fortunately my life does not revolve around TV. I can always go to the tree house on the ridge and pick off tourists.

The snow is gone. Temperature is 54 degrees with near 70 for tomorrow.

Must be global warming. I'll have to check with Al Gore.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had this you would not be bored with television. Well assuming you like the Duke.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Wayne-20-Movie-Pack/dp/B000A2XC6W/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1204408588&sr=8-1

Might be the best $5.49 I ever spent!

Probably true, but whenever I think of ol' John I think of him avoiding that little WWII skirmish while people like Gene Autry and James Stewart volunteered. I much prefer him in pre- war movies.

I did actually watch him in The Green Berets a long time ago. Boy...talk about an old and fat SF guy.... :D

Edited by Marswolf

I don't know the entire John Wayne WW2 story but is it possible he was asked to continue doing movies for the morale of the country or what not? He is generally held in high regard as an American. I am gonna google it and see what I can find out.

BTW almost all the movies on the 20 pack are from pre WW2 years.

Mars I found this letter written in response to an inquiry about Wayne's lack of a military service record. I guess it is true. If it is maybe you will feel better about the Duke.

I too have always enjoyed John Wayne movies and the strong sense of patriotism and American values that he infused into all his films.

I checked out several sources and found a wonderful site that explained that:

"John Wayne had a deep love for his country. This patriotism is reflected throughout his life. He had wanted to go into the military but an old football injury prevented it. He is quoted as saying, "More than anything else, I wanted to go to Annapolis and become an officer in the Navy. It was a terrible disappointment when I didn't make it."

The American public may have lost the chance at a great officer but John Wayne never failed us. He worked with the USO (United Service Organization) in supporting US troops from WW2 through to Vietnam. His visits cheered and encouraged many a young service man. Duke wore Capt. Stephen P Hanson's "Prisoner of War" bracelet after the Marine was shot down over Laos, Vietnam. Sadly, Hanson never came home but John Wayne stayed in contact with his wife and young son."

Many great actors in those times and beyond who, for one reason or another could not serve in the active service, chose to work to support the troops through the USO and other organizations. Others who did enter the service were actually assigned to the entertainment services of the US armed forces and never actually served as combat soldiers but rather did what they were best at to encourage and raise the moral of the fighting men. This was definitely considered just as important as actually going out to fight, and those who were unable to serve but chose to go to where the fighting was the roughest in order to cheer the fighting troops were very highly thought of.

If you want to see more of this lovely website on "The Duke" including a biographical tribute by Ronald Reagan, news stories, about his Congressional Gold Medal, facts, films and more, check out http://www.jwplace.com/index.html

I think you'll like it.

Hope this reassures you that John Wayne was, indeed, the man you've always thought he was...

Best,

Arlene (MsDirector)I too have always enjoyed John Wayne movies and the strong sense of patriotism and American values that he infused into all his films.

I checked out several sources and found a wonderful site that explained that:

"John Wayne had a deep love for his country. This patriotism is reflected throughout his life. He had wanted to go into the military but an old football injury prevented it. He is quoted as saying, "More than anything else, I wanted to go to Annapolis and become an officer in the Navy. It was a terrible disappointment when I didn't make it."

The American public may have lost the chance at a great officer but John Wayne never failed us. He worked with the USO (United Service Organization) in supporting US troops from WW2 through to Vietnam. His visits cheered and encouraged many a young service man. Duke wore Capt. Stephen P Hanson's "Prisoner of War" bracelet after the Marine was shot down over Laos, Vietnam. Sadly, Hanson never came home but John Wayne stayed in contact with his wife and young son."

Many great actors in those times and beyond who, for one reason or another could not serve in the active service, chose to work to support the troops through the USO and other organizations. Others who did enter the service were actually assigned to the entertainment services of the US armed forces and never actually served as combat soldiers but rather did what they were best at to encourage and raise the moral of the fighting men. This was definitely considered just as important as actually going out to fight, and those who were unable to serve but chose to go to where the fighting was the roughest in order to cheer the fighting troops were very highly thought of.

If you want to see more of this lovely website on "The Duke" including a biographical tribute by Ronald Reagan, news stories, about his Congressional Gold Medal, facts, films and more, check out http://www.jwplace.com/index.html

I think you'll like it.

Hope this reassures you that John Wayne was, indeed, the man you've always thought he was...

Best,

Arlene (MsDirector)

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Actors-Exchange-2705/John-Wayne.htm

I don't know the entire John Wayne WW2 story but is it possible he was asked to continue doing movies for the morale of the country or what not? He is generally held in high regard as an American. I am gonna google it and see what I can find out.

BTW almost all the movies on the 20 pack are from pre WW2 years.

Not a big deal. He was 4F for his feet. Not his fault, I guess....

He's still a good patriotic actor. I shouldn't have mentioned it. He was a good American.

BTW, I was underweight and couldn't be drafted. I volunteered. You could volunteer when you weren't draftable. Just thought I'd mention that.

I just get a bit irritated about Wayne and Roy Rogers who got a big boost in their careers compared to people like Autry who did go.

But my Biggie is James Stewart, who was a true hero and never really got the recognition he deserved.

When he died, my wife said she no longer had a favorite actor. That hit me and I have to agree with her. The rest are just pretenders.

Guest jackdog

I think tv pretty much sucks about 98% of the time. Over 175 channels and most are pure BS. Once in a while you can catch a great older movie but not often. Guess thats why I spend so much time in the work shop. Or doing leather work. Thatt and reading, darn I read a lot.

Not a big deal. He was 4F for his feet. Not his fault, I guess....

He's still a good patriotic actor. I shouldn't have mentioned it. He was a good American.

BTW, I was underweight and couldn't be drafted. I volunteered. You could volunteer when you weren't draftable. Just thought I'd mention that.

I just get a bit irritated about Wayne and Roy Rogers who got a big boost in their careers compared to people like Autry who did go.

But my Biggie is James Stewart, who was a true hero and never really got the recognition he deserved.

When he died, my wife said she no longer had a favorite actor. That hit me and I have to agree with her. The rest are just pretenders.

you know, there are so MANY actors out there that went to war for their country.

Jack Palance for instance. did you know he got his facial scars from a plane crash in the AF? he also spoke like 6 languages fluently and was a naturalized citizen.

Jimmy Stewart, Errol Flynn (yah he went into the service), Jack Palance, Gene Autry..there were so many that did their time. I loved that age. it was before actors did USO tours to help their flagging careers..they did it because they felt the owed something to their country..kinda like Bob Hope.

The Hollywood we have today...I wouldn't give you a nickel for their character or integrity.

but Angelina Jolie DID visit the troops in Iraq on a USO tour, I guess, to her mind, she's slumming...I have a feeling though, that if she ever got to know any of those troops she's entertaining, she'd change her mind.

Our troops are, to my mind, some of the finest people I've ever known. we send out our best to protect us..and to me that means the best in the world. We always have...and that's why the cost of freedom is so high.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5a1_1202495163&p=1

Edited by towerclimber37
Guest Grout

Charles Bronson,Lee Marvin,Neville Brand,Charles Durning and of course Audie Murphy served in WW2.Ted Williams served in WW2 and Korea.

Fortunately my life does not revolve around TV.

+1

We got ourselves a 50" Samsung after Christmas last year, and until football season (Dallas Cowboys/UT Vols), I probably didn't watch the thing 10 hours. All I ever watch anyway (except football season) is a little MMA fighting and sometimes Outdoor Channel on Wednesday nights.

Don't forget Captain Kangaroo--he was Lee Marvin's commanding officer on Iwo Jima, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong).

you are absolutely correct!!

and they both earned bronze stars and purple hearts!

Prematurely white-haired character star who began as a supporting player of generally vicious demeanor, then metamorphosed into a star of both action and drama projects, Lee Marvin was born in New York City to Lamont Waltman Marvin, an advertising executive, and his wife Courtenay Washington Davidge, a fashion writer. The young Marvin was thrown out of dozens of schools for incorrigibility. His parents took him to Florida, where he attended St. Leo's Preparatory School near Dade City. Dismissed there as well, he enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps at the beginning of World War II. In the battle of Saipan in June 1944, he was wounded in the buttocks by Japanese fire which severed his sciatic nerve. He received a medical discharge and got menial work as a plumber's apprentice in Woodstock, NY. While repairing a toilet at the local community theater, he was asked to replace an ailing actor in a rehearsal. He was immediately stricken with a love for the theater and went to New York City, where he studied and played small roles in stock and Off-Broadway. He landed an extra role in Henry Hathaway's You're in the Navy Now (1951), and found his role expanded when Hathaway took a liking to him. Returning to the stage, he made his Broadway debut in "Billy Budd", and after a succession of small TV roles, moved to Hollywood, where he began playing heavies and cops in roles of increasing size and frequency. Given a leading role in Eight Iron Men (1952), he followed it with enormously memorable heavies in The Big Heat (1953) and The Wild One (1953). Now established as a major screen villain, Marvin began shifting toward leading roles with a successful run as a police detective in the TV series "M Squad" (1957). A surprise Oscar for his dual role as a drunken gunfighter and his evil, noseless brother in the western comedy Cat Ballou (1965) placed him in the upper tiers of Hollywood leading men, and he filled out his career with predominantly action-oriented films. A long-term romantic relationship with Michelle Triola led, after their breakup, to a highly publicized lawsuit in which Triola asked for a substantial portion of Marvin's assets. Her case failed in its main pursuit, but did establish a legal precedent for the rights of unmarried cohabitors, the so-called "palimony" law. Marvin continued making films of varying quality, always as a star, until his sudden death from a heart attack in 1987.

His body was interred next to that of Joe Louis in Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA.

Edited by towerclimber37