Sign at Walgreens?

Guest ked

sign at Walgreens said it was a misdemeanor to carry a handgun where alcohol was sold or served. there was NO Tenn statute listed. i figured it was just a sign that Walgreens printed and taped next to the cash register.

does this sign carry any weight?

ked:)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

No. It's a remnant of an old sign that was required anywhere alcohol was served or sold. This was before it was made legal to carry where alcohol is sold, and then later on where it is served.

Guest Broomhead

The search tool is pretty user-friendly:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/49225-walgreens.html?highlight=walgreens

But yeah, like Bkelm18 said, it is a relic from a bygone era. Most likely one that Walgreens' corporate heads deem necessary. I've seen the same one in Wal-Mart, Kroger, Target, Logans, Outback, etc. It has no legal weight whatsoever as far as a permit holder is concerned.

... It has no legal weight whatsoever as far as a permit holder is concerned.

Has no weight for a non-permit holder either. It's already a 'meanor to carry and AFAIK it's no longer a separate charge to carry where alcohol is sold to go OR for onsite consumption for those folks either.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest EyeOfMidnight

I work for Walgreens, and I can tell you that corporate wants us to follow whatever state laws are in place. The store manager is NOT allowed to consciously decide he wants to legally post up. Employees are the only wants who aren't allowed to carry on the property. My own store manager has a carry permit, and the only reason he puts those archaic signs by the beer is because it's in the plan we have to go by when setting up aisles.

I work for Walgreens, and I can tell you that corporate wants us to follow whatever state laws are in place. The store manager is NOT allowed to consciously decide he wants to legally post up. Employees are the only wants who aren't allowed to carry on the property. My own store manager has a carry permit, and the only reason he puts those archaic signs by the beer is because it's in the plan we have to go by when setting up aisles.

Plan is wrong.

TN statutes changed long ago regarding that.

There is anecdotal evidence that TN ABC was still giving out erroneous info on that, though.

- OS

Plan is wrong.

TN statutes changed long ago regarding that.

There is anecdotal evidence that TN ABC was still giving out erroneous info on that, though.

- OS

Well yes, the law has changed, but best I remember there is some question as to whether the ABC has changed it's regulations. So it's possible that the ABC is still WRONGLY requiring them.

Didn't one place in another thread take them down and a ABC inspector made them put them back up?

Well yes, the law has changed, but best I remember there is some question as to whether the ABC has changed it's regulations. So it's possible that the ABC is still WRONGLY requiring them.

Didn't one place in another thread take them down and a ABC inspector made them put them back up?

I disremember, FG. Surely they've got their act together by now?

Then again, always logical to assume any gummit agency is cockeyed at best, I guess.

- OS

Then again, always logical to assume any gummit agency is cockeyed at best, I guess.

- OS

You would hope by now. Of course they may not be so quick in telling places to remove them....if they would even tell them at all.

It was at Applebee's. It was in a thread I posted about speaking with them. The sign that ABC required before is no longer posted at the entrance like it was before. The manager may have moved it, she said she was required to have it posted on the property and said she may move it to the broom closet. Don't know if it is gone or hidden but either way it isn't visible anymore.

Dolomite

- OS

It's still on their checklist... they ask to see it from time to time.

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote my Rep about the ABC and these signs....looks like they may have though it was somewhere around here, but here is what I got back from my Rep.

Following is information we received from the ABC executive director Danielle Elks. She states that she will be happy to discuss the matter with you. If you desire to do so, let me know and I'll arrange for you to talk with her.

The ASAC in that district has spoken directly with the agent that is responsible for that area. The agent advises that he has not issued recently issued any signs, nor has he required anyone to repost the signs if they were not up. We have had an agent that has recently retired from that district who may have provided the information. I do know that no citations for the failure to post the signs have been issued in over a year. I will be more that happy to discuss the matter with the constituent--just let me know.

I told my Rep I didn't personally see it and it didn't occur in his district, but that if I can get the information together about where and when I may go ahead and setup contacting the ABC personAlso told him that by the wording used it sounds as if their policy still may have not changed and asked how could they issue a citation period, if there is no regulation requiring it as there shouldn't be after the law change? Also that it doesn't sound like they are telling anyone that the signs are no longer required.