Piecing together a new SPR upper for a new project...

Jon_L

So I'm selling my wife's A2 carbine-length upper so I could replace it with a mid-length flattop. I've been meaning to do this for some time because she and I both want her to learn medium-ranged (possibly farther) shooting. We have a scope (the recently acquired DMS-1), so the next step was putting together a new upper.

Now, I know what you're thinking, why not just buy an upper that's already been put together? Well, that just wouldn't be fun biggrin.gif. SO I've been searching the various forums for the past few weeks, and doing a little bit of research of my own, and pretty much found what I needed for this build (with the exception of a flash hider--still not sure what to do) and I'm damn happy. Who wants a list? Too bad, 'cause I made one. biggrin.gif

Bought List:

Barrel:

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1058-daniel-defense-chrome-lined-barrel-16-midlength-stripped.aspx

YHM QD flash hider:

YHM Phantom 5.56 Flash Hider/ Supressor Mount

Upper receiver:

Purchased a Noveske off a member on another forum for $10 (he's trustworthy, and even if I have a cool paperweight)

Decided on a free float forearm instead of the quad rail below:

Samson Mfg: AR-15, AK-47, Sig 556 Rails and Accessories: Samson Evolution Series

Low Profile Gas Glock (I'm putting a sight on the rail):

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Yankee-Hill-Machine-Low-Profile-Gas-Block-yhm-p/yhm-9383 gas block short.htm

Midlength Gas tube:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-mid-length-gas-tube-p/gas tube - mid length.htm

Charging handle:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-3-p/bcm gfh mod 3 556.htm

Bipod adapter for railed forearms:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Yankee-Hill-Machine-Bipod-Adaptor-yhm-p/yhm-638.htm

Unbought List:

Harris bipod:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Harris-S-LM-Bipod-p/harris s-lm.htm

Bolt carrier assembly:

http://www.riflegear.com/p-623-lmt-full-auto-bolt-carrier-assembly-complete.aspx

Edited by Jon_L
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you're going to have a nice setup.

I'm currently building my first AR. Though I've owned a few.

I went the easier way. And bought a complete upper that has been test fired.

Since I'm building, my purpose was to go low cost but with decent parts.

I went 4140 Barrel chromed lined and the gas system was Mid-Length.

1:9 twist because I intend on shooting 62gr or lower ammo (surplus ect)

Chrome interior BCG, MPI and heat treated bolt.

Built on a forged receiver.

Now the hard part is waiting for all the stuff to get here.

Eventually if this build works out, I may invest in the stuff need to build an upper.

But I'm not sure I need to, as I'd most likely go a whole new caliber.

I mean everyone has a 5.56 AR. Who has a .204, .243, ect?

Those are some pretty out-there calibers, TS. I like the 5.56/223.

Also, who here thinks I should pick out another railed forearm?

I like oval rail systems a lot better. I don't think you will find one for that kind of money, though. If you do look at others, don't forget to compare weight. It varies significantly.

Looks like you're going to have a nice setup.

I'm currently building my first AR. Though I've owned a few.

I went the easier way. And bought a complete upper that has been test fired.

Since I'm building, my purpose was to go low cost but with decent parts.

I went 4140 Barrel chromed lined and the gas system was Mid-Length.

1:9 twist because I intend on shooting 62gr or lower ammo (surplus ect)

Chrome interior BCG, MPI and heat treated bolt.

Built on a forged receiver.

Now the hard part is waiting for all the stuff to get here.

Eventually if this build works out, I may invest in the stuff need to build an upper.

But I'm not sure I need to, as I'd most likely go a whole new caliber.

I mean everyone has a 5.56 AR. Who has a .204, .243, ect?

Won't work with a standard AR lower. The .243 is a much larger round so you would have to use a 308 based system.

I have been facinated by the SPR for a while now. I built my version of one on a 16" barrel as well. If I had to do over again I would have went with a 18" barrel and a rifle length system. I used a carbine length system that is covered by a rifle length (12") free float tube. I drilled and tapped the tube for only the rails I would be using and a bipod. Makes for a lighter setup that doesn't chew the hand up as much when shooting without gloves.

Here is some good info on the SPR if you are trying to build it true to spec:

Mk 12 Special Purpose Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mine isn't even close to SPR spec but it definitely is an accurate gun. Mine will shoot sub 1/2" at 100 yards with handloads. Its best 5 shot group so far is .372" center to center using a 69 grain SMK over 24.5 grains of Varget and CCI 400 primers. It is a light load with the velocity being just shy of 2400 FPS but that has more to do with the 16" barrel than anything. The same load in a 26" barrel results in a 2900+ FPS velocity.

Dolomite

So I updated my list. Decided to search for a bipod for medium-range shooting (for fun =D). I bought to following and added a Harris bipod to my unbought list:

Midlength Gas tube:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-mid-length-gas-tube-p/gas%20tube%20-%20mid%20length.htm

Charging handle:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-3-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%203%20556.htm

Bipod adapter for railed forearms:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Yankee-Hill-Machine-Bipod-Adaptor-yhm-p/yhm-638.htm

Guest nysos

Glad you are doing this project, building an SPR got me into wanting to build AR's in general. I have yet to build my first, and still not sure what I am going to do first. I think I want to build a 5.56 carbine as a good way to introduce myself to the platform, but part of me really wants an SPR style in .308 (although with ammo prices I might settle for 5.56). Mainly because I grew up shooting bolt actions at 200 yards as a norm since my dad is a big hunter. I don't remember the last time I've gone shooting for accuracy from a bench, and I think building an SPR would get me back to that.

Keep us up to date on how things go, and snap some pics when things start getting pieced together.

Great, just the person to ask. Do I need anything other than the adapter and the bipod? Probably a stupid question. I just don't know how they fit together...

Just the adapter and bipod. The bipod mounts to a sling stud. So the adapter slips onto the rail, and provides a sling stud, with a nice smooth surface around it to mate with the bipod. You'll like.

I'm sure I'll like it. It's going to be my single-best creation ;) I'm hoping the wife will like it, aswell. It is for her.

I would highly reccomend against piecing together your own .308 AR unless you have $2k + to invest into it. When I was first getting into the platform I thought, "man, I don't want a ***** 5.56 caliber... .308 is where it's at!" And after reaching 1k and only getting the lower and handguard saved in my favorites, I got a bit apprehensive. So I delved into the 5.56 and realized there's very little wrong with it, and the prices are fair (I can pick up a hundred rounds for $40 and change). If you're going to be needing some help, I'll do as much as I can.

Guest nysos

I just noticed you are in oak ridge, so I may have to take you up on that offer. I agree on the .308, I know it is expensive, I will probably do it down the road. I may just have to see if my dad will sell me his remington model 700 that I fell in love with over the years to satisfy my .308 shooting needs. He has the dyes to reload the round, I am just not sure how much brass he has for it. Just collecting brass for .308 could set me back a pretty penny.

My big question will be for my first build is if I want to go the easy route and do a complete upper and lower, or go all out and get a lower and drop in my own FCG, and piece together an upper like you are doing. I am a stickler for detail, so even though it may be more of a pain in the ass I feel I might get a better knowledge and appreciation of the platform piecing everything together on my own. I know of no better way to learn how something works than to tear it apart and put it back together piece by piece.

Guest nysos
Build the lower yourself. It's good for you :-). The problem with building an upper is the cost of the tools. They're not that expensive, but they do hit your budget. You can still have your upper built to order.

I have 2 friends that built their own uppers and has the tools that I can borrow, one of which I know still has his tools. The other I think he sold his ar and tools as he didn't take his time and fubared his build somehow.

I'll gladly consult if you're willing to spell out exactly what you want. Most SPRs are 18" with a 4-16x power scope, but I wanted to be able to use this rifle as a possible CQB--so this isn't the definition of a SPR, just my own interpretation. My inbox is never full, PM me or post here any time:koolaid:

Edited by Jon_L
Guest nysos
I'll gladly consult if you're willing to spell out exactly what you want. Most SPRs are 18" with a 4-16x power scope, but I wanted to be able to use this rifle as a possible CQB--so this isn't the definition of a SPR, just my own interpretation. My inbox is never full, PM me or post here any time:koolaid:

I probably wouldn't go full on/true spr either. Probably 18" match grade barrel, flat upper, for optics maybe just something like an eotech with a 3x magnifier so I can do some free standing shooting with just the holo site, and then throw the magnifier down and do some bench stuff. Otherwise just a 4-6x optic, nothing major. Definitely want a nice spr adjustable stock, I believe magpul has a pretty nice one - not sure I would want to spend 200+ on just a stock though...

I've been toying with the idea of the EoTech/magnifier for my own build, but since this rifle is taking over the role I probably won't. I have no problem with the Magpul CTR stock, but that's the flavor I like...

YHM stuff is good. I have used them a lot and really like them. I have recently started using brakes rather than hiders. They are louder and more bothersome to those around you but make shooting a 223 AR recoil like a 22LR. I have two identical uppers, one in 223 and one in 22LR. Other than the noise levels people can't tell the difference in recoil.

Dolomite

I was wondering what effect a muzzle brake would have on a rifle. Good to know. I may have to look into that for mine.

ETA ordered the flash hider. This is the last part I need before putting it all together.

Edited by Jon_L