Serial number

AMSting

Is there any reason to not give out a serial number on a weapon? I am working a deal, and the guy asked for the serial number on mine to call the manufacturer to see if there are any recalls on it. Am I being scammed, or is this a legitimate request?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest UberDuper

Sounds like a non-issue. Probably someone paranoid about buying a gun that turns out to be stolen. They'll get the serial number eventually if they're serious about buying it.

In buying guns in the past (from individuals) I have often used or at least tried to use the serial number to look up the information about the specific gun. I know I've done it recently on a possible purchase through gunbroker.com. Not sure how he could scam you other than having the gun entered into NCIC as his personal gun being stolen. That would take some big ole brass ones.

Actually I look at the serial number on most of the guns I buy.

Since "most" stuff I buy is used, I've learned to do research first.

Many gun companies have issued recalls or updates. Ex. Glock, Ruger LCR, SR9 Blackhawk, and Ke-Tec to name just a few.

If I know the serial number I know to ask if the firearm was upgraded or sent it.

Because honestly, who wants to buy a gun just to have to turn around and send it in?

If it's a real big deal, don't give him the last 2 digits on the number.

Why would you need a serial number to check for a recall? If a gun has been recalled then the serial number will be needed, but just to check if a recall has been issued why would the model number not work?

I would say that a manufacturer might recall certain "runs" and would base that on the serial number but as I dont build guns I am just guessing.

It is very handy to know if you are a collector. I know people who collect certain firearms that are #100 off the assembly line for example. Also if looking for a matched set or palindrome number. Often tells model run or year of manufacture also.

If you're worried about it...send him the number in a letter...mail yourself a copy of the letter...don't open the one you mailed to yourself...the postmark is as good as a copyright to prove when you sent it. If he reports it stolen the postmark proves you knew the number before he did.

As a second check...have the post office hand cancel the envelope while you're standing there. They'll do it if you ask.

Edited by bajabuc
additional info
Guest UberDuper

How does that prove that you knew the number before him? How do you prove you're the one that told him and that he didn't know it before you "stole it?" :)

If you're worried about it...send him the number in a letter...mail yourself a copy of the letter...don't open the one you mailed to yourself...the postmark is as good as a copyright to prove when you sent it. If he reports it stolen the postmark proves you knew the number before he did.

As a second check...have the post office hand cancel the envelope while you're standing there. They'll do it if you ask.

That has many more applications. Great idea.

Thanks all. It turned out to be a non-issue. As mentioned, he called the manufacturer and found out no recalls were issued, so he never needed the serial number.

Great idea bajabuc, that can be used for quite a few things.