Taurus 82

Guest RichieRich

Guest RichieRich

After enough gun related violence in the Memphis area, the wife has finally come to the range with me a few times. She's doing well shooting 38 special revolvers, but really doesn't like my semi-automatics. We're looking to get a revolver to keep in the bedroom so she has something she's comfortable using if the zombies come.

I haven't found any recent reviews on these, but ones from a few years ago look pretty solid. The price is a lot more affordable than a 4 inch S&W.

I'd appreciate any more recent first hand experience, good or bad. Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ae-35

Much better choice, look at jgsales.com. They have police turn-in S&W M 10's from 229. In the 80's Taurus sold well built wheelguns, but with poor finishes, then about 10 years ago, after they went to MIM parts, ( stopping hand fitting the lock-work), they just throw them together, but now put good, ( pretty ) finishes on them. Hence, there reliability stinks, now before someone hollers, ( gun snob ), I've owned, sent back for repair, fixed my self and sold, over a dozen Taurus revolvers in the last 30 years. If you get one made before they went to MIM parts, it will work as good as a Smith made in the same year, just not as pretty. I sure wouldn't trust MY life to one of the newer ones. JMO.

Taurus revolvers have been successfully killing folks in Brazil for 70 years. :hiding:

I'd think they're quite adequate as house/carry guns, especially if not shot all that frequently. If you wanted to shoot a lot, I'd find the bucks for a Ruger SP101 or GP100 or full sized Smith, though.

Charter Arms is another revolver maker generally thought of about the same quality level as Taurus, with about same pricing (or less), and you'd be buying American, if that matters to ya.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Ae-35

They are a co. that just makes ya say to your self why ? I mean they come up with great ideas.... then... ya go yuck !!! I don't understand why they can't or WONT fix there QC problems !!!! There's many on here and countless others who have had nightmares trying to get them to fix guns they've made. I just don't get it. IF they had near the quality of most of the other gun companies, they would be a major factor in the gun industry. Seems they have a 25-35% failure rate across the board, regardless the model. All I can figure is they're making large enough profits that they're happy not fixing there QC problems. Don't get me wrong seems EVERY co. has highs and lows in the QC dept. just there's is always low! Can anyone explain it ?

I've owned a few over the years and have nothing but good things to say. Both new and old. I've even owned an old trade-in revolver that was well abused. All good.

I choose to carry a snub nose Taurus over any of my other, big named guns. It gets carried over my SAs, Sigs, Paras, whatever.

Much better choice, look at jgsales.com. They have police turn-in S&W M 10's from 229. In the 80's Taurus sold well built wheelguns, but with poor finishes, then about 10 years ago, after they went to MIM parts, ( stopping hand fitting the lock-work), they just throw them together, but now put good, ( pretty ) finishes on them. Hence, there reliability stinks, now before someone hollers, ( gun snob ), I've owned, sent back for repair, fixed my self and sold, over a dozen Taurus revolvers in the last 30 years. If you get one made before they went to MIM parts, it will work as good as a Smith made in the same year, just not as pretty. I sure wouldn't trust MY life to one of the newer ones. JMO.

If they're that bad then why would you own so many of them?

I had one. Bought it form a pawn shop. They stated it was security company trade in gun?????

It was plenty accurate and never failed.

Mine was a bit heavy and big. (it was a 4" barrel")

The trigger was nasty unless you shot it single action.

But was good enough for my brother to qualify for his Concealed Carry Permit.

I recommend the Model 85, it can be found in stainless and is not as heavy and it to will shoot +P ammo.

Good luck on the purchase.

Guest Ae-35

Good question, 2 guns bought in the 80's were great, no complaints. Bought a 94, 4in. in 90 very good shooter,I thought " they will give Smith a run for their money", my son still shoots it. Traded for a 745 , my wife has very small hands but wanted a 45acp. it has been just the ticket for her, so long as you don't limp-wrist it. I bought a 145 new, never could get it to run, sent back twice, sold with warning, bought a "judge" , when they came out for rodent control on farm, I don't use poisons , it ran good for about six months then, hand broke, sent back, came back new hand, but then out of time. In other words I've bought Taurus when they had something that filled a need that no one else made , or I took a chance on. Have took some in on trade, when I knew what was wrong and could fix my self , timing, firing pin, extractor, broken hammer etc. ,like I said, I like the innovation, designs, and they find markets for guns other companies haven't thought of. It's just in QC, where they fail !!!

After enough gun related violence in the Memphis area, the wife has finally come to the range with me a few times. She's doing well shooting 38 special revolvers, but really doesn't like my semi-automatics. We're looking to get a revolver to keep in the bedroom so she has something she's comfortable using if the zombies come.

I haven't found any recent reviews on these, but ones from a few years ago look pretty solid. The price is a lot more affordable than a 4 inch S&W.

I bought a taurus 82 last year at the pawn shop. Got the Pistol, holster, 2speed loaders and speed loader holster for 200 out the door. I have not really shot it a whole lot but I have not had any issues with it at all. I used their website and ran the serials no's and found it to be a 2002 year model. My opinion, its a good gun.

Good question, 2 guns bought in the 80's were great, no complaints. Bought a 94, 4in. in 90 very good shooter,I thought " they will give Smith a run for their money", my son still shoots it. Traded for a 745 , my wife has very small hands but wanted a 45acp. it has been just the ticket for her, so long as you don't limp-wrist it. I bought a 145 new, never could get it to run, sent back twice, sold with warning, bought a "judge" , when they came out for rodent control on farm, I don't use poisons , it ran good for about six months then, hand broke, sent back, came back new hand, but then out of time. In other words I've bought Taurus when they had something that filled a need that no one else made , or I took a chance on. Have took some in on trade, when I knew what was wrong and could fix my self , timing, firing pin, extractor, broken hammer etc. ,like I said, I like the innovation, designs, and they find markets for guns other companies haven't thought of. It's just in QC, where they fail !!!

Ah..

Their auto loaders are questionable, depending on who ya ask.

Same with customer service. Some love them and carry them daily. Some hate them.

I have no experience with either

, sans their 1911s (1911s are great). Just never liked the"cheap" feel of them, personally.

Their wheel guns I have never had any problems with, nor have heard of any major problems that other manufactures have too. Seems there may be some qc issues with mid 90s models but pre and post mid 90s seem to be all good.

Get a ruger sp101 and problem solved.Preferably a used one that the trigger is already broke in.

Guest RichieRich

Thanks all for your advice. Mixed reviews sound pretty typical of Taurus--either good or a lemon. We're not in a rush, so will keep looking, particularly at S&W and Ruger.