Ejection, normal?

Guest Gfrk

I just got a Glock 23, as my first handgun.

Its beautiful, love the way it feels!

I took it to the shooting range, and put about 50 rounds through it to try it out, and everything was perfect, except one little thing.

I am not new to shooting, however I am new to the concept of a firing range. Ive only been to one before today, and that was when i was younger with my father.

While shooting, they guy next to me waited until i was done, laugh and said, "You're attacking me over here haha."

I was a little confused at what he was talking about, and i think that i may have been ejecting the casings into his lane and hitting him with them.

Being new to a firing range, I never had to worry about where they were going. Then i noticed that most people's only ejected about a foot into the air then fell down to their right side. Mine were ejecting what seemed a LOT harder than the other peoples...

I am not sure if this is the reason he jokingly said i was attacking him, but its the only real reason i could figure out why he would say that...

It got me a little confused. :lol:

My question is, could my gun be ejecting the rounds too hard, something wrong with it? Is there some way i can prevent this? Am i doing something wrong to make them hit him? Standing too far forward or something? Or should i just not worry about it?

Thanks for your feedback! Looking forward to learning my first lesson =D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with your Glock. This is a very common experience at gun ranges with people shooting so close to each other. If he was shooting a semi-auto, his gun was also probably showering hot cases down on the person to his right. Of course, if he's shooting a revolver, that's different. The best lane for not dealing with this is always the booth on the left end of the range if it's available.

Congratulations on the new Glock. Nice purchase for a first gun.

Nothing wrong with the G23--I love mine, too! I'm assuming you were at CCA? I get "showered" quite often if the person to my left is standing right on the line--the divider is not as high right there, but can't say that it would help for sure. You could stand a little more to your left in your lane maybe, but I agree with MphsTiger, or get Lane #10 with the table and then they won't hit anything except for the wall. Most folks are understanding.

Thank you for that information. I guess that's why he was laughing about it, it seems since its common, it won't help anything to be mad about getting hit by cases.

Yeah, I tried my father's g23 and loved it, so i got one.

As Will Smith in MIB2 says...

Point as his gun, "Old and busted..." - Point at mine, "New hotness..."

Haha...

All my Glocks (9 and 40) eject approx. 2 to 3 ft before falling to the ground. At indoor ranges, it is common to have the person next to you eject their brass into your lane pending the height of the dividers. I've had mine hit the dividers then hit me in the head or shoulders. I've seen some people's brass eject directly up and hit them in the face. I've also seen brass ejected in-front of the person firing....of course that turned out to be a loose ejector on a Taurus....

Don't think you were doing anything wrong...sometimes it happens. I'm glad the fellow shooter was curtious about the situation vs. being a bung-hole about it. I've had people gripe at me for ejecting my brass in their lane....usually if their a butt about it, I'll load up the the mag and purposly fire fast until dry sending 15+ rounds in their lane in under 5 seconds. Usually that aggrivates them enough to leave. When at a range, it's not only good to be safe, but being polite and understanding about situations like this is what it's all about....you may even find a new friend by being polite....

I'm assuming you were at CCA?

Exactly.

I've had mine hit the dividers then hit me in the head or shoulders.

Yeah mine was doing that, i wasnt sure what was going on, Im glad its normal.

When at a range, it's not only good to be safe, but being polite and understanding about situations like this is what it's all about....you may even find a new friend by being polite....

Yeah, I told him i was sorry, and waited for him to pull his target back to start shooting again. I didnt want to hit him with casings while he was trying to shoot. I slowed down a little too, i was firing pretty heavy when he said something.

Edited by Gfrk
Guest brandon_pitt

Gfrk,

Always good to hear of a new gun owner. G23 was a good choice. My only suggestion would be to be polite to your neighbor but, other than that, get used to it. I know they make shell catching nets for ARs, you can check to see if they have some attachment for the Glock.

Yeah, he was nice. I was polite, I was just confused as to what happened at first.

I just said sorry. It was a moment where it hit me later.

Every semi auto is different, and ammo matters too. Hot ammo will be thrown out more in any gun, while lighter loads will often just fall at your feet. Some of my guns throw them at a sharp angle, amost back onto me, others throw it nearly 90 degrees to the gun, which will smack your neighbor if there is nothing between you.

All I can say is the first few shots, watch your cases to see where they go, you can then take a step forward or back maybe to reduce the problem, or whatever. You can also invest in a brass catcher (or try to make one with a big fishing net), for $50 or so you can find a decent one.