Gun Owners Picnic: Sign-up Here!

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it. July is going to be very busy month for me due to family obligations, but I hope you guys have a great time and a great turnout.

To bad man, I was hoping to met you and thank you personally! Hope your obligations run smoothly!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 people showed up and we had a blast!

We had enough food to feed an army, literally. Burgers, dogs, sausages, chicken, and some of the best BBQ you ever tasted. Coleslaw, potato salad, mac'n'cheese, baked beans, potato wedges. Chips, pretzels, crackers, cookies, cakes, cobblers. Soda, water, iced tea. And all the supplies to cook it up, chill it, serve it, clean up, and take the extra food to friends, neighbors, and a medical care center.

We also gave away about 60 nice door prizes so everyone took home at least 2 free gifts including a mini vault, ammo, holster, bipods, free shooting range passes, DVD movies, books, kids games, candy, pistol pouches, backpack, computer equipment, car safety kits, and much, much more. Special thanks to our sponsors for provding these great prizes:

- Yogey's Bunker, Lebanon (Claysher on GOC)

- The Gun Room, Lebanon (Roger and Stan)

- Lebanon Gun Shop (David)

... and a few little things from WileECoyote :-)

Several guns were sold and the lucky winners of the gun raffle were Bryan and Pam from Portland, TN.

All in all this was an outstanding event. Took a lot of planning and hard work by all to make it happen but it was worth it to meet such super people. Everyone asked to do it again down the road, so we just might do that after we all recover... :-)

Thanks to all those who showed up and contributed food or supplies to make this work. Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

So, was there a lot of TGO folks there, or mostly folks from GOC and elsewhere?

I take it there were no frantic phone calls to the police when non participants spotted the open carry people?

Glad it went well for you and all attending. Now that we know it was successful, more people from here will probably consider coming to the next one.

No problems whatsoever. An even mix of people from TGO, GOC, and some from other places. We held it at an indoor banquet room next to a park which was ideal: AC, modern kitchen and restrooms, lots of tables and chairs, plenty of parking, outdoor grilling area, and no firearm restrictions. I only recall seeing 1-2 people carrying and we didn't have to worry about spectators since we were indoors. We had several tables full of guns for sale, most from a local dealer and a few from other people. If we did it again I would suggest this same location which can handle up to 150 people, however I am reluctant to organize another event because it takes weeks of planning and lots of time to prepare and support it. I don't mind doing all that for a large group but was disappointed to see that 37 people canceled at the last minute or failed to show up without even sending a note, even though they had previously confirmed and agreed to provide food or drinks. This put a heavier burden on the others to bring more supplies, but in the end we still had a great group of people, tons of food, and everyone took home several door prizes so those who came had a blast.

Guest AlzRuger

Wilee, you did a great job. Glad we could be a part of it. A good time was had by all. If you plan another, we will Be glad to help. Thanks.

Guest iScream

How much of the room rental did you get stuck with, Bob? Since we were all supposed to split the cost, I'm sure you didn't get reimbursed by the folks who couldn't make it for some reason.

It's pretty unfair for you to have put in all the work for this and now be eating the cost as well.

How much of the room rental did you get stuck with, Bob? Since we were all supposed to split the cost, I'm sure you didn't get reimbursed by the folks who couldn't make it for some reason. It's pretty unfair for you to have put in all the work for this and now be eating the cost as well.
No worries. The owner gave us a break on the rental fee so we actually had enough to give her a small tip, which I thought would increase the chances of having it open to us again later. The main impact of the missing people was all the extra food, snack, and supply costs, but I split that with a few others so it wasn't too bad. And the gun raffle prize would have been much higher if all had shown up, but we still managed a nice prize anyway. I was glad to do it and enjoyed meeting the group. Like I said at the start... lot of good folks out there, as gun owners usually are.
Will the next event be an official "TGO sanctioned" event?
I don't know what this means. I had tried to reach David about sponsoring it with some small door prizes or something, but never heard back, I suspect because he was busy working on the site overhaul.I am willing to do all the planning again but want to see a higher level of commitment, so that we don't get so many people signing up and promising to bring stuff, then blowing it off, most without even sending a note. Someone suggested having it catered and charging the fee per person when they sign up, so that nobody gets stuck bringing a lot more than their share.
  • Administrator
Will the next event be an official "TGO sanctioned" event?

TGO's events usually are put on by TGO rather than through other parties, but I'm sure we can figure something out moving ahead. In 2012 I would like very much for us to have a large "TGO Summit" complete with food, festivities, etc. Still trying to work out the logistics but I've got a few people looking in to some stuff for me. :)

Guest iScream

2012!!! That's like five years from now. You're just putting it off until after the world ends, aren't you?

Really need smiley faces in tapatalk by the way. :-)