Gun Owners Picnic: Sign-up Here!

Thanks to all those who participated in the original picnic survey which indicated that 76 people and 225 guests are interested in a Gun Owners picnic. Click here to view a summary of those survey results if you are interested.

Your votes have decided that our picnic will be held in the Lebanon, TN area on Saturday 7/9 from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Please take this new sign-up survey if you plan to attend, so that we can determine how much food and supplies will be needed, and which activities to plan for: Gun Owners Picnic Sign-up Survey

The sign-up survey will remain open until midnight on Saturday 7/2 but respond early if you want to influence the initial planning. Feel free to post any questions or suggestions here or in the survey. I will update this thread and send out periodic email alerts as things develop.

First step is to confirm the actual location, which we hope to finalize this week. Drop me a note if you know of any good locations in the Lebanon area which would have space to host the picnic and support legal concealed carry. I am working on one promising lead now but am open to all ideas.

Edited by wileecoyote
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest brandon_pitt

Any idea as to how much land or area that we will need? I have some farm land out there but i do have neighbors in the area. Gretchen Wilson to be exact. Just wondering.

Any idea as to how much land or area that we will need? I have some farm land out there but i do have neighbors in the area. Gretchen Wilson to be exact. Just wondering.

Hard to say until more people sign-up, but based on the initial survey I would estimate between 40-100 people total, maybe many more depending on how fast the word gets out. So the actual space for the picnic shouldn't require too much room, maybe half an acre or so if everyone wants to spread out, but parking could be an issue. I am looking at one place which has ample parking, some grassy areas, and a gun range close to I-40 Exit 239 but I can't confirm until I talk to the owner. If this falls through then a private property may be best provided it is easily accessible and won't cause any problems.

Picnic Update:

I did some research on possible locations in the Lebanon area based on suggestions from various people. As you can see from the table below, the best overall location is the Wilson County Fairgrounds. It is very conveniently located just off I-40 Exit #239 and it is less than 1 mile from a gun store which has a very nice indoor range. I spoke with the owner of that store and he has offered us several free range passes to use as prizes during our picnic. The fairgrounds also has ample parking and we can rent a park pavilion or a large indoor building, with the building being nice since it would be air conditioned and we could still get together even if it rains. The only downside to the fairgrounds is the higher cost, which should not be a problem if we can get at least 40 total guests that are willing to chip in $4 each to cover the rental costs.

If we don't get enough guests to use the fairgrounds then the Shady Acres Campground looks like our next best option. They only have a medium pavilion but at least it provides shade and has plenty of picnic tables. It is located just 1 mile south of I-40 Exit #238 so still pretty close to the gun store with indoor range, and also close to the Lebanon Outlet shops for anyone with family that would like to do a little shopping before or after the event. We wouldn't have as much space for a show-and-trade area but we could probably still display some things on the picnic tables as long as we keep it safe and discreet.

All the other options seem to be less than ideal for various reasons, but if you have any better suggestions then feel free to speak up or send me a PM.

Now the most important thing: we need more people to sign-up for the picnic NOW. We need at least 30 confirmed people to sign-up or it won't be worth the hassle of all the planning. We have 6 people confirmed so far with 14 total guests which is a great start but we need more to sign-up soon or we won't be able to reserve the picnic facility. Here is the link:

Gun Owners Picnic Sign-up Survey

gopicopts.jpg

I believe the Wilson County Fairgrounds may be posted. Seems like it was the last time I went to the fair. Might be worth checking on.

I called them to check and they are going to call me back to confirm, but I know they hold gunshows there and I think each event makes their own decision on posting or not. Will confirm once I hear back.

We really need more people to sign up this week. We do have a good start with 8 confirmed people representing 20 total guests, but we need at least 30 confirmed people representing 50 or more guests before I am going to shell out the cash to book a facility and continue with all the detailed planning steps. There was a huge response to the original survey with nearly 80 people and 250 guests interested in coming, so now is the time to speak up if you want this to happen.

It should be a really nice event with free food, snacks, drinks, and a private sale-trade-show/tell area. We also have some people donating door prizes to be given away. And I am willing to bring my Big Green Egg smoker/grill for cooking all the food. We just need more folks to make it doable. If you are holding out for some reason then please speak up to let us know why.

Link to sign up is here:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L7NTZLH

We really need more people to sign up this week. We do have a good start with 8 confirmed people representing 20 total guests, but we need at least 30 confirmed people representing 50 or more guests before I am going to shell out the cash to book a facility and continue with all the detailed planning steps. There was a huge response to the original survey with nearly 80 people and 250 guests interested in coming, so now is the time to speak up if you want this to happen.

That's how it is when planning.... everyone likes the idea of a get together. And during the survey, we all put in when and where was best for us. Unfortunately, it doesn't work out in the end for everyone. Those in Memphis or Tri-Cities can't/won't make a 200+ mile trip. For me it's about 170 miles. And since I work just about every Saturday, (unless I give a months notice) I would get there just as everyone's leaving. Sorry, but I won't be able to make it. :D But for those who do make it, have fun and post pics!

That's how it is when planning.... everyone likes the idea of a get together. And during the survey, we all put in when and where was best for us. Unfortunately, it doesn't work out in the end for everyone.

True, no one date or time will be best for everyone. But the survey results showed 21 people could make it in Lebanon on 7/9 and would bring 68 total guests. That was the best possible date and time combination which is why we picked it, and many people indicated they would drive to Lebanon from Nashville or Cookeville, so I was hoping to see at least 30 confirmed people with 50 total guests minimum. We are about 1/3 of the way there already... I am just wondering what happened to the other 2/3...

Update as of Wed night 6/22:

We now have 12 confirmed people signed up to bring a total of 27 guests. This is heading in the right direction but still not enough to hold a decent picnic. It would be enough if everyone showed up as planned, but the problem is that some people might cancel or not show up at all and then we would be stuck without enough food and supplies for the people that remained.

So if you want this picnic to happen then sign up now. I will leave the survey open until Saturday night 6/25.

Update as of Friday night 6/24:

We have 17 confirmed people signed up to bring 39 total guests. This is definitely heading in the right direction now so we only need a few more people to jump in and make it happen. Tomorrow is the last day to sign up so jump in now if you want to participate, and if you already signed up then make sure to tell your family and friends so they can sign up as well. Should be really fun.

We had 20 people sign up to bring 49 total guests, which is enough for us to book a park pavillion for the picnic. We should have a facility booked within the next few days and then I will send out the details via email to all those who have signed up.

I will also leave the signup survey open in case anyone else wants to join late but we will have to cut it off as soon as we hit the capacity limit for the pavillion. It is a shame we didn't get enough people to rent the fairgrounds location because we could have left the event open to the public, but we needed at least 50 people to sign up to cover the cost of the fairgrounds so we were pretty far off from that mark. Still, our total of 49 guests should make a nice group with lots of good food and gun-friendly chat to make it fun for everyone.

I am also working on some sponsors to donate door prizes and it looks like most people plan to participate in the gun raffle, sell-trade area, and shooting range so this should be a pretty nice event. Look for more details via email soon if you are already signed up. If you want to sign up late then better hurry, as we are already close to the cutoff mark.

Guest boatme99

Wilee, would have loved to be there, but my cc class is confirmed for the 9th. Hope every one has a lot of fun. There better be pix!

Ok gang, the picnic is definitely happening!

We have rented a nice modern indoor facility with an outdoor area behind it. We have a bunch of people bringing lots of good food, snacks, desserts, and drinks, we are holding a gun raffle, and there will be free door prizes as well, plus the sale-trade-display area.

The picnic is by invitation only due to space and food planning limits, so if you want to join us then please signup now via the folliowing link: Gun Owners Picnic Sign-up Survey

We already have 57 guests registered, so only have room for 18 more at this time. Note - you must provide your email address when signing up, so that we can send you the location and other details via email.

Hope to see you there.

We have 56 total guests signed up and over half of them have confirmed twice. Many are bringing lots of good food and deserts, and a few local dealers recently donated some nice door prizes as well. This is going to be a very fun event. Hope that a few others can make it to fill up the place.