Taurus model 85

I would like some input on a Taurus SS finish Model 85, serial# WD89241 model# 2-850129 MFG'd in 2004. I am looking at it on gunbroker to purchase if for my wife to carry. It is 259.00 bid or 269.00 buy it now. 20.00 shipped and I have a guy here in town that will transfer for 20.00 for a grand total of 309.00 out the door and in my hands. This is my first revolver and want to make sure I'm not getting snookered on the cost, is this price reasonable? BTW it looks nearly new, but it is the gun and the gun only, no boxes, papers or any other extras.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FastMover

I'm just a regular lurker that uses the trading post for good deals, so my opinion may not be of that great value.

I've regularly carried an 85UL for over a year and shot it even more, but when push comes to shove I sold it just like all other Taurus products I've owned. My suggestion is to continue looking. A used 85 for around 300 bucks isn't a terrible price, however I think a better defensive revolver can be had for the same cash. I am by no means a Smith snob but the Model 36 or 37 can be had for nearly the same price and is MUCH better quality. The only down side the inability to shoot +P loads. The 158gr SJHP has sent many a man to his grave though.

If weight is not a factor I would highly suggest a Ruger SP101 in .357 Rem. Mag. Although you stated your wife will be the primary shooter, the weight of the revolver absorbs much of the recoil with hot .357 125gr SJHP's. Shooting .38spl through my Ruger is down right enjoyable. None of the pain associated with shooting +P loads out of a J frame or another manufacturers equivilant.

When you go to Bud's sight you click on hand guns then Taurus then revolvers. On the first page 6th down youwill see the model 2851129 which has a shrouded hammer. The one you are looking at has a hidden hammer but doesn't look as smooth. I have the shrouded hammer air weight S&Ws and they carry and handle real well. If you will look down page at the 2327129 it is a six shot 327 fed mag and is the same as the 85 for 290.Taurus gives you choices.