My First Military Patterned Rifle

wcsc12

I've been looking for one for a bit now (I think I seriously have the gun fever) and today at the gun show, I saw a Sig556 and fell in love. At first, I was going to try building my own AR-15 but not anymore.

Can anyone give me their good experiences on this rifle? Are the accessories (i.e. scopes, sights, stocks, and the front guard that you can put under the barrel to make holding it up easier) super overpriced or pretty reasonable?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sig is a very reliable firearm. As far as accessories, the sky's the limit. You can spend a lot more on them than you have in the rifle, but that goes with any assault rifle. If it mounts to a picatinney rail, it will fit an AR also. You can start with budget optics and whatnot and see where it goes from there. The only downfall to a 556 is it's not as versitle as an AR. You can switch out uppers with the AR platform. You can put .22,5.56,5.7,6.5,6.8,7.62,9,.45ACP,.458Socom,.50Beowolf uppers on the same AR lower. Hope this helps.

Oh, sorry, no switching stocks on the Sig either.

Edited by flyanything
Sig is a very reliable firearm. As far as accessories, the sky's the limit. You can spend a lot more on them than you have in the rifle, but that goes with any assault rifle. If it mounts to a picatinney rail, it will fit an AR also. You can start with budget optics and whatnot and see where it goes from there. The only downfall to a 556 is it's not as versitle as an AR. You can switch out uppers with the AR platform. You can put .22,5.56,5.7,6.5,6.8,7.62,9,.45ACP,.458Socom,.50Beowolf uppers on the same AR lower. Hope this helps.

Oh, sorry, no switching stocks on the Sig either.

Meh that blows about not switching stocks but I could live with that.....I think I want this rifle though badly. In fact I'm going to head back to the gun show tomorrow morning and if they have this rifle for 900+ tax, I'll be walking out of the gun show with it.

Guest hillbilly007

I have one of the early Sig 556s that were sold by Sig. I cleaned it, oiled it, put 19 out of 20 rounds in a 10 inch pie plate at 100 yards, cleaned it again, and put it up.

The gun will outshoot me on a regular basis. I don't know about the switching stocks comment though. I sent it back to Sig and they added the SWAT quad rails for $300 bucks and I put an ACE side folder stock to finish it off. I really like the SIG. The only thing I will tell you is to feed it good ammo, especially only brass, and you should be very happy with it.

Enjoy!

An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.[1][2][3][4] Assault rifles are the standard infantry weapons in most modern armies. Assault rifles are categorized in between light machine guns, which are intended more for sustained automatic fire in a light support role, and submachine guns, which fire a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge.

I know what you mean but I try to not use the assault rifle term unless I am talking about an assault rifle.

Guest coldblackwind

Good rifles, and the stock on mine has been changed, depends on the model. As for $900 +tax....good luck with that. $1100 +tax is more likely, but still not likely, on a new gun they usually run 1200+ before tax/bg, and you don't really see many used. Last one I saw used (other than mine) was $1100 I believe, +tax/bg.

Good rifles, and the stock on mine has been changed, depends on the model. As for $900 +tax....good luck with that. $1100 +tax is more likely, but still not likely, on a new gun they usually run 1200+ before tax/bg, and you don't really see many used. Last one I saw used (other than mine) was $1100 I believe, +tax/bg.

Well, I actually ended up finding the exact model I wanted for $1099 + tax and bg check and I asked them how low would they go out the door and their price was $110 more than I wanted to pay. I can get it through Sig's IOP for $1084 + $30 FFL/BG fee so I've been weighing anything more than that. Now I've just been looking at them some more and I really want the DMR version with the 21" barrel. I want the option to make it multi-purpose and Sig doesn't sell the barrels for their rifles solo.