I need to confirm something on 12ga cylinder bore.

vontar

I need to confirm something on 12ga cylinder bore. In short, from what I have read, a cylinder bore has no choke so I should be able to shoot any 3inch 12 ga shells I want from bird shot, buckshot to slugs right?

Rem 870, 12ga cyl bore. 18 in barrel.

I have not found in the owner's manual types of shells, I know the chamber is 2 3/4 and 3 inch.

I will probably use birdshot at the range to get the feel for the gun, but buckshot is what I will most likely have loaded it in at home.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to confirm something on 12ga cylinder bore. In short, from what I have read, a cylinder bore has no choke so I should be able to shoot any 3inch 12 ga shells I want from bird shot, buckshot to slugs right?...

Correct.

Although all the above are safe to shoot through chokes, too, with varying degrees of accuracy with slugs and tighter chokes.

I'm guessing you won't be shooting all that many 3" buckshot and slug loads though, unless you are more a glutton for punishment than most. Hell, I've got some 2.75" Nobel Sport buck loads that none of The Usual Suspects want to shoot, and some are Mosinites.

If you're going to load 3 inchers for SD, though, you need to shoot enough of them to know what to expect.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

OS,

I will probably try a 3 inch buckshot to try it but you are right, I will probably keep 2 3/4 as I have to keep it loaded for my wife to shoot it. I don't want her more afraid of the gun then someone that might break in. I am going to have her practice with birdshot.

Thanks for confirming. Always best to know and have someone double check before going out to shoot a new gun.

OS,

I will probably try a 3 inch buckshot to try it but you are right, I will probably keep 2 3/4 as I have to keep it loaded for my wife to shoot it. I don't want her more afraid of the gun then someone that might break in.,,.

I can pretty well assure you that full power 2 3/4" double naught will be ample experience for both of you, and for any intruders.

- OS

You need to try it at the range with buckshot to see how it will pattern. I use 2 3/4" buckshot in my FN SLP. You can get reduced recoil buckshot so it won't be as bad for the wife (or for you, if you're limp wristed :tough: )

Jeffl, you are right on the money there.

I was thinking about some kind of 12 ga ight loads for my wife to practice with. Not sure if any place local sells them that I could pick up tomorrow.

OS might not reminder but he met me at least once. I am pretty big guy; Not at tall as he is, but 300 plus pounds, so the recoil has it work cut out with me.

OS might not reminder but he met me at least once. I am pretty big guy; Not at tall as he is, but 300 plus pounds, so the recoil has it work cut out with me.

I remember. So use the 3" 00. :tough:

You don't hold that thang correctly you'll just be a 300 pound guy with same sore and bruised shoulder as a 100 lb. debutante. :D

- OS

there is not a lot of need to see how some shotty patterns in a home defense situation.

Good god if you can't hit what it's pointing at at 10 or even 15 feet you ought to stick to a Louisville Sugger

I know, exactly what you are saying and in short already started showing my wife that in dry fire mode several hours ago.

Going to get it out to the range as soon as we can to try it out as time permits.

there is not a lot of need to see how some shotty patterns in a home defense situation.

Good god if you can't hit what it's pointing at at 10 or even 15 feet you ought to stick to a Louisville Sugger

Hahahaha, nicely done, Mike.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Mike raises the good point. For HD purposes, what you really need is to just get comfortable shooting the thing. If you (read: your wife) hasn't had any experience with a shotgun, the first time out can be quite…eye opening. Better to get that out the way before dealing with a home invader. Once you've got that down, it's going to shoot where you point it.

Myself, I've shot allot of single shot hunting shot guns over the years. Never owned a pump before this one but I knew I needed one.

I got out today and got to shot it. I took it up to my uncles, just another place I go to shoot besides Norris.

I setup 4 cans about 15 and 20 yards. I put 5 shells in it. Mind you this was for the first rounds though the gun.

I hit all 4, then went back to the first can and nailed it for a second time.

I went though those 4 targets/5 shots in about 8 seconds. I didn't time it, but Just as fast as I could work it, and draw down on the next can. (I had spread them out about 5 yards a part) I figured that was not bad for the first time with a pump action.

My Uncle was impressed that for an 18 inch, no choke it held a nice pattern at 15-20 yards.

I put about 30 rounds though it today, both shoulder aim fire and firing as if someone were coming in and I had to shoot from the hip.

I have to say, if I could have tried this gun before buying, it would have removed all doubt that I was buying the correct one. I know I got exactly what I needed.