LC9 - 10 thumbs down

I haven't shot a PPS. How does that trigger stack up?

I think it is every bit as good as a factory Glock trigger (I have a G22 as well). The trigger is smooth and crisp with no significant overtravel and has a decent reset. I have noticed it get better as I have shot it, which is what most PPS owners say about it (admittedly, it could be a placebo effect). The trigger is manageable enough that I can plink golf balls at about 25 yards and tear a jagged hole in paper at 10 yards with no trouble. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I LOVE THAT PPS!

Also, when I was at the range the other day with it, I made some realizations about the backstrap and the mag release. The backstrap, when properly installed, is held in place by the magazine, the upper part of the grip frame, and your hand. The only way to remove the backstrap is to slide it down and then pull it away from the bottom (kind of like the battery cover on many electronics). It's no easy task when you are trying to do it and impossible when the mag is installed. That brings us to the mag release. The benefit to the mag release as it is designed is to prevent accidental dropping of the mag. If you have it in a holster with the trigger guard fully covered, there is no way to accidentally bump the mag free. There have been more than one person I have seen on the range pull their pistol from the holster and watch the mag hit the ground because they accidentally bumped it in the holster. When you are shooting, the position of your hands also makes it nearly impossible to accidentally drop the mag, which can happen with a button style mag release. For a CCW gun, I really think this thing is hard to beat unless it would be in overall size.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils
It also allows you to use three different size mags (6, 7, or 8 in the 9mm) and they all fit flush to the grip frame.

Hi East_TN_Patriot

Time for another dumb question-- If the 8 rd mag will fit flush to the grip frame, what are reasons that a user might prefer to carry a 6 or 7 rd mag instead?

Does the 8 rd mag occasionally have trouble with certain ammo brands?

Am not trying to argue. Just wondering why the company would bother to sell 6 or 7 rd mags if an 8 rd mag fits in the gun? For all those customers clamoring, "Eight rounds is too much! I want the smallest capacity possible!" :koolaid:

After all, if a customer only wanted to carry 6 rds, he could just load 6 rds in the 8 rd mag?

Thanks!

Hi East_TN_Patriot

Time for another dumb question-- If the 8 rd mag will fit flush to the grip frame, what are reasons that a user might prefer to carry a 6 or 7 rd mag instead?

Does the 8 rd mag occasionally have trouble with certain ammo brands?

Am not trying to argue. Just wondering why the company would bother to sell 6 or 7 rd mags if an 8 rd mag fits in the gun? For all those customers clamoring, "Eight rounds is too much! I want the smallest capacity possible!" :stare:

After all, if a customer only wanted to carry 6 rds, he could just load 6 rds in the 8 rd mag?

Thanks!

Grip is hardest part to hide IWB, and of course, makes pocket carry impossible if too long. Even the extra round in Kahr PM9 long mag makes a huge diff in pocket. XD subbie comes with flush 13 rounder and extended 16 rounder. Using the extended mag makes it same grip length as XD Service, so you've just negated the concealment size of the subbie.

You can buy a 33 round mag that fits Glock 26, but using it would somewhat nullify the original compact intent of the design. :) Extreme example but same theory.

Thickness of the piece is the other main consideration, and hence the tradeoff in slimness vs. capacity of single vs double stack.

- OS

In reference to the last few posts about the PPS; I have a PPS 40 with 6 rond mags. The size is dang near perfect. I fits in one of several cheap generic best slides I've had for years. The trigger is pretty good too. A little long for my taste, but smooth as silk. However...the 40 is harsh, very harsh. An all polymer gun with a barrel insert has absolutely nothing to tame the 40's power. I found it decidedly unpleasant to shoot and will very likely try sell or trade it off nest week in Murfreesboro.

I'd still like to try this in a 9mm. I think that it should be comparable to the PF9/11 and be managable enough to use as a carry. Still wouldn't ever be a fun range gun, but would be acceptable.

Guest The Highlander

I love the 9mm, and I've been on the lookout for the perfect small 9 for years. The LC9 looks good to me, and felt good. I haven't shot one yet though, the one I handled was sold. I own Kel-tecs in other calibers, but I've never quite warmed up to them, so I don't think their 9 would be a good buy.

The Walther PPS is a gun I'll definitely end up owning. The looks are a little funky to me, but as soon as I held one, it felt great. Definitely on my list of small 9's. The SIG (I love SIG's) may be good, haven't located one to fondle yet. Same for the Kimber Solo, it gets points for the 1911 similarities, but I have not had my hands on one.

However, I'll add a couple more possibilities to the small 9 debate. My favorite 1911 is a Springfield Armory EMP with G10 grips, night sights, and all the benefits of a 1911. I LOVE this little jewel. Drawbacks are the cost. That's the only one I can think of anyway.

Also, think about the SIG 239 in 9mm, .357 SIG, or .40. Great ergonomics, and mine was very accurate and easy to carry. I foolishly traded it away unfortunately. Another alternative from SIG is to locate an older P6 or its civilian brother, the 225. Single stack, SIG reliable, easy to carry, easy to shoot. The P6's can be found pretty cheap, then sent to CCR in Greeneville for refinishing. Great guns.

The Highlander

Guest Lester Weevils
Grip is hardest part to hide IWB, and of course, makes pocket carry impossible if too long. Even the extra round in Kahr PM9 long mag makes a huge diff in pocket. XD subbie comes with flush 13 rounder and extended 16 rounder. Using the extended mag makes it same grip length as XD Service, so you've just negated the concealment size of the subbie.

You can buy a 33 round mag that fits Glock 26, but using it would somewhat nullify the original compact intent of the design. :) Extreme example but same theory.

Thickness of the piece is the other main consideration, and hence the tradeoff in slimness vs. capacity of single vs double stack.

- OS

Thanks OS

I must have misread what Patriot was saying. He said all three mags fit flush to the grip, which I thought meant that they all fit entirely inside the gun. That isn't unknown. On several pistols you can find different capacity mags that all fit inside the grip without sticking out.

Yes if the mags all fit flush but some are longer, then the short ones would conceal better. I can pocket carry my P9 with the 7 rd mag, but the grip is too long for a good draw with the 8 rd mag. Hangs up on the pants pocket.

I have a 10 rd mag for my NAA .380. It extends the grip profile of the gun into a nice big grip but looks absurd. The grip is much bigger than the gun!