Whats going to be a good gun for me?

Sean

Alright so most of you know Im just getting into target shooting. I go with freidns who have their own handguns. So my question is, what do you think would be a good target gun for someone with me who is just starting out. Im lookin for easy use/cleaning and for a good price. Preferably new would be great also. Im lookin to stay aroun the $200 range, give a or take a few dollars. Im really trying not to invest to much starting out. i do know Im gong to have to take the CCW classes. Anyones help would be great.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PACKA45

Sean,

I would suggest going to a local gun shop and handling different guns and get the 1 that fits you best... Either Browning or Ruger make a good .22, its no fun if after every shot you have clear the gun of FTF's... Shoot safe..

• Administrator

In that price range, if you're wanting something to take shooting and to carry for protection eventually, I'd recommend a .357 revolver. Taurus makes several that are close to that price point.

If you can spare another $100 or so, you could work on finding a nearly new or even maybe brand new 9mm or .40sw semi-auto of some sort.

In that price range, if you're wanting something to take shooting and to carry for protection eventually, I'd recommend a .357 revolver. Taurus makes several that are close to that price point.

If you can spare another $100 or so, you could work on finding a nearly new or even maybe brand new 9mm or .40sw semi-auto of some sort.

Well yeah Id be willing to go another 100 specially for a nicer gun. I was thinking a .22 is what I was going to have to get for my price range and for just target shooting. I didnt think though that a 9mm ora .40 would go for less than $400.

• Administrator
Well yeah Id be willing to go another 100 specially for a nicer gun. I was thinking a .22 is what I was going to have to get for my price range and for just target shooting. I didnt think though that a 9mm ora .40 would go for less than $400.

You might be surprised. I'd really try for a 9mm if I were in your shoes. A 9mm can definitely be a good defensive weapon and target ammo is really cheap for it too.

I think I'd shop for a Glock 19 (9mm) and specifically look for some that were law enforcement trade-ins from someplace like CDNN Investments or a local gunshop. LE trade-ins are usually in very good shape because (a.) they see more time inside of a holster than out, and (b.) they are usually maintained as part of a routine by the agency's armorer.

I bet you could get a Glock 19 like this for $300... $300 and change. :)

PS: CDNN's website doesn't show their stock of firearms, but their catalog (available for download as a PDF) does and they can definitely tell you what they have if you call them.

Guest GlocKingTN

I would say just for target shooting, a .22LR is the way to go for sure. Brand new gun for less than $250, CHEAP ammo. But I would not use it for carry!

You might be surprised. I'd really try for a 9mm if I were in your shoes. A 9mm can definitely be a good defensive weapon and target ammo is really cheap for it too.

I think I'd shop for a Glock 19 (9mm) and specifically look for some that were law enforcement trade-ins from someplace like CDNN Investments or a local gunshop. LE trade-ins are usually in very good shape because (a.) they see more time inside of a holster than out, and (b.) they are usually maintained as part of a routine by the agency's armorer.

I bet you could get a Glock 19 like this for $300... $300 and change. :)

PS: CDNN's website doesn't show their stock of firearms, but their catalog (available for download as a PDF) does and they can definitely tell you what they have if you call them.

Well arlighty, Im deffinetly going to ask around my cop buddies then. Thanks Dave.

Tungsten's .357 Revolver suggestion was a good one. Get something with a 4-6" barrel, and you can shoot light .38 Special loads in it for target-shooting/plinking, and then load it up with hot .357 Magnum loads when you keep it around for home-defense, etc...

If you don't intend it for defensive purposes at all, then, a .22lr semi-auto would get you more mileage (cheaper ammo = more shooting). All of the 'big-name' manufacturers have a decent selection. Ruger 22/45s are very common, affordable, and fun to shoot. Or, look at Browning's Buckmark pistol, if you want one of the best options on the market (expect to pay a bit more though).

Sean,

The MOST important thing when picking out a new (or used) gun is that it fits you. You can go out an purchase this Glock or that Sig with out ever actually holding it and get to the range and not like the way it fits in your hand. If there is a gun store near by, go in talk to the guys that work there, build a relationship and handle as many of the guns that they stock. If there is a range that sells and rents guns even better. Go in there and build a better relationship and rent as many of the different types and calibers of guns that they have.

Many people come looking for that perfect gun that will drop a BG in one shot. I am here to tell you that gun is different for all of us. I personally like Beretta's, Glocks and 1911's while others like H&K's, Sig's and Walthers. I like 9mm but also shoot .45 when shooting the 1911. Other people insist that the .45 is the only caliber to carry. A .45 to the arm is not going to stop a BG but a 9mm to the heart will.

I am not trying to detract from what anyone else has said. I think most have offered sound advice. I am only trying to add that it is very important that you find a gun that fits both your wallet and your hand. One person might tell you that a Taurus is "junk" while another person will tell you where theirs has saved their life.

Tungsten is offering good advice on finding Police "trade ins" as it is getting more common for LE's to only use their guns twice a year for qualifying etc. I know that the ones on this board are not in this category, but I bet everyone of them knows at least one of their fellow officers that is like this.

Welcome to the club, Sean. Enjoy your new hobby, it just might save your life one day.

If your aim is target shooting, and not a carry handgun, I'd go with the .22 LR.

I have a Browning Buckmark that I really enjoy. Went in for a Ruger, but the Browning fit my hand better. Either is fine. Try them both.

I use it to unwind after a "serious" practice session. It's fun and accurate and cost next to nothing to shoot.

My first gun handgun was a S&W 686 .357 mag revolver, 4" - It was also my first carry gun.

I moved onto a Beretta 92FS 9mm - carried it for a while

Next was a Glock 36 - 45 ACP - Carried it for 2 years, it was nice and compact

Then I shot a Springfield XD and sold the Glock the next week. I now have 2 XDs and I love the way they feel and shoot.

I will own another Glock again though.

Oops, forgot to mention the Ruger P95 I had.. what a piece of ****. No wonder I didn't mention it :)

Next was a Glock 36 - 45 ACP - Carried it for 2 years, it was nice and compact

Then I shot a Springfield XD and sold the Glock the next week. I now have 2 XDs and I love the way they feel and shoot.

I will own another Glock again though.

I traded the Glock the same day I saw and shot the equivalent in an XD. The XD just shoots better for me. But my carry gun is a USP.

If your aim is target shooting, and not a carry handgun, I'd go with the .22 LR.

I have a Browning Buckmark that I really enjoy. Went in for a Ruger, but the Browning fit my hand better. Either is fine. Try them both.

I use it to unwind after a "serious" practice session. It's fun and accurate and cost next to nothing to shoot.

Yeah I think my aim is more towards just target shooting. The only time I might carry is if I drive somewhere on vacation.

Im guessing a revolver is easier to maintain though, am I right?

To tell you the truth, I much prefer to maintain a pistol. For some reason it annoys me to have to clean all those holes in the cylinder and barrel cleaning is a lot easier in the auto. But I'd say you are right that if you are just going to not service a handgun, a revolver is a better choice. Oil eventually evaporates and a revolver is a lot more reliable in that situation. Some of the newer lubricants like Militec-1 help on that.

In the .22 pistols, there are people who never do a through cleaning - ever. Semi-auto 22s are a bit of a pain to take apart. Most of the time, I just do a quick bore snake cleaning and wipe it down good. If my life depended on it, I'd do more.

Revolvers have "less" moving parts, but as for easy of maintenance, the semi's are relatively easy they just take a couple more minutes of cleaning, and who doesn't enjoy that.

Well alright that helps out alot.

Guest GlocKingTN

Oops, forgot to mention the Ruger P95 I had.. what a piece of ****. No wonder I didn't mention it :lol:

I also had a Ruger P93DC! It is the gun I took the CCW class with. I also hated it . It was like shooting from a concrete block, but smaller in size!

Guest db99wj
I also had a Ruger P93DC! It is the gun I took the CCW class with. I also hated it . It was like shooting from a concrete block, but smaller in size!

Smaller, what the concrete! :lol:

Guest jackdog

Make sure the fits you. If your planning carry then think about how the weapons weight will effect you in a all day carry. How easy is it to conceal but still be available. Since your new your gonna being doing a lot of shooting, so I would suggest a 9MM. Intial cost is not bad and ammo is cheap. If I had my druthers it would be a glock. They shoot dirty or clean. there extremely easy to field strip and clean.

Jackdog

Guest allen820

If you are just learning, go with a .22. No question. A .22 is cheap to shoot, so you can practice all afternoon for $10. And more importantly, a .22lr is an excellent gun to develop good habits with. Beginning with a bigger caliber could well cause some serious flinch/trigger control problems that could plague you for years. Get the basics then "move up" if you want to. Even yet (and I am an old guy who has been shooting for decades), I always start a day at the range with my Ruger 22/45. Kinda like stretching exercises, I guess. Besides .22's are really a lot of fun and a good one is seriously accurate.

Allen

If you are just learning, go with a .22. No question. A .22 is cheap to shoot, so you can practice all afternoon for $10. And more importantly, a .22lr is an excellent gun to develop good habits with. Beginning with a bigger caliber could well cause some serious flinch/trigger control problems that could plague you for years. Get the basics then "move up" if you want to. Even yet (and I am an old guy who has been shooting for decades), I always start a day at the range with my Ruger 22/45. Kinda like stretching exercises, I guess. Besides .22's are really a lot of fun and a good one is seriously accurate.

Allen

I know what you mean. I started off using a .45 HKS. Some of my shots on the target you could tell I was flinching. But after a few shots i got control of it.