My first hunting rifle

Guest chimpinator

Guest chimpinator

So I talked it over with my grandpa and we decided to go with 30-06. He used to have an 06 rifle but he gave it away to an uncle of mine. This uncle has a massive collection of well over 30 rifles, possibly near 50. Anyway the point being he has more rifles than he needs. He said he needs to give some away anyway so this year at the family reunion I will be picking it up. :up:

Thanks again for all the feedback, guys!

DISREGARD EVERYTHING BELOW THIS

So my grandpa has decided he wants to teach me to hunt. A little late to start but better late than never right? I want some advice what kind of rifle to get.

He's got his eye on a Marlin 336 lever action 30-30. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the .308 though so first off I guess I'm asking which would be a better cartridge. First off the price of ammunition is something I'm considering. Whichever I can get more ammo for for less is something I'm keeping in mind. Ballistics are also pretty important. I don't want one with a really high arc trajectory.

Oh and also I'm planning on hunting deer and elk. My grandpa said 30-30 might be a little light for elk.

As for a rifle to fire the cartridge we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Since I'm not in TN there won't likely be anyone in my area that knows what guns are for sale around here.

Edited by chimpinator
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30-30 is a short range gun and not exactly a flat shooter. 308 is better for longer ranges, period. 30-06 is exactly the same as a 308 for all practical purposes (its a little better, actually, but the difference is slight). 243 is also a good choice, but I am unsure of it for an elk (I know little of how big an elk is?).

Basically, while the 30-30 is a great caliber for some things, I would skip it if you want something that shoots flatter or longer. You can find all sorts of ballistic tables for free online to compare a couple of rounds for trajectory. 30-30 isnt too light, it hits hard at 100 yards.

You want something cheap, consider a military surplus rifle. These are in calibers that compare well to a 308, give or take, and the rifle + a ton of ammo can be had all for under $300 or so. Just have to be careful to find a gun in decent condition that can still shoot straight, but that isnt too hard -- any mauser, for example, that has a clean barrel will do it, or a good condition mosin, etc.

Edited by Jonnin

A 30-30 and a .308 don’t compete with each other, you need both.

I’d buy a Remington 700 .308 bolt first, and a quality scope to go with it. A .308 will take anything you will come across in North America. Ammo is not that much more than 30-30 and you have cheap military surplus stuff available for practice.

However, If your Grandfather is teaching you; get whatever he tells you to get. Once you have experience you can get whatever you want. That’s just how it works. :up:

Guest Ceolas

I've been doing a lot of reading and have decided that the 336ss is what I want to pick up next.

If you need a bit more punch, you can also find the 336 chambered for .35. A lot of hunters use it for black bear and boar.

With the Hornady Leverevolution cartridges the trajectory is ok flat, it's only down 1.3 inches at 200 yards and 17.5 at 300.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 35 Rem :: 35 Rem 200 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®

Also, check out this article on a top 6 list for hunting rifles. It has a lot of good info:

Top Deer Rifles

Good luck on your first hunt :(

How old are you and how big are you? If your 12 and a 100 pounds, then a .308 is probably too much to start on. Even if you're 20, a bolt action .308 kicks enough that you could develop a flinch learning to shoot it. .308 vs 30-06 is a better comparison. 30-30 is a fine gun for Tennessee. I would want something bigger for elk, but be realistic about your hunting opportunities when choosing your rifle. Do you have hunting grounds that you can shoot elk on? Do you have hunting grounds that will allow you to shoot past 100 yards?

As far as ammo cost, it is all pretty expensive except for .22 long rifle.

30-06 is a good recommendation to start with. You can work your way up from "reduced recoil" rounds and it is probably the best all around gun for North America. There is also lots of ammo choices in every state and it's easy to find due to popularity. Just keep in mind that hunting doesn't have to begin with deer or elk. You can learn alot from squirrels, rabbits and birds.

I believe .270 is about as small someone should go for elk. The 30-30 is a deer slayer, but probably not an elk slayer.

There are a few great, carbine size .308s out there. I have two, a Remington Model Seven and a Browning BLR. under 200 yards, a 30-06 won't beat it by much. Just sight it in 2 inches high at 100 Yds and your good at 200 and about 8" low at 300.

I'd recommend a model seven in 308 if you can find it. Something with a 20" barrel is fine. No need for a long heavy rifle in 308.

You want flat trajectory, inexpensive ammo, and a cartridge adequate for deer and elk. You mentioned the 30-30 and the 308 Winchester. Although ammo is a bit cheaper for the 30-30, both are very common, and inexpensive as far as centerfire rifle cartridges go. The 308 will be more adequate for elk, and have a much flatter trajectory. Some others I'd recommend would be the 30-06 Springfield or the 270 Winchester. If you are planning to reload as well, I can recommend many more. These are commonly found at any store that sell ammo, and are among the least expensive round that will do what you are asking.

Guest chimpinator
If you want to hunt deer and ELK, and trajectory is an issue, go .308 cal. The price of ammo for .308 is not much more than 30/30.

I'll keep this in mind.

A 30-30 and a .308 don’t compete with each other, you need both.

I’d buy a Remington 700 .308 bolt first, and a quality scope to go with it. A .308 will take anything you will come across in North America. Ammo is not that much more than 30-30 and you have cheap military surplus stuff available for practice.

However, If your Grandfather is teaching you; get whatever he tells you to get. Once you have experience you can get whatever you want. That’s just how it works. ;)

Well I'm all for more guns but for cost purposes I want to settle on one or the other at first. I've heard good things about the Rem 700 so if I can find one in the area I'll definitely consider this.

He suggested a 30-30 but said the choice is ultimately mine to make as to what to get. Maybe the 30-30 would be a bit better. I dunno.

Pick up a Remington 700 30-06. Best round for hunting around here IMHO.

That's 2 votes for the Rem 700. 06 is something I had not thought about. My grandpa said it's a good round. I'll have to consider this too.

I've been doing a lot of reading and have decided that the 336ss is what I want to pick up next.

If you need a bit more punch, you can also find the 336 chambered for .35. A lot of hunters use it for black bear and boar.

With the Hornady Leverevolution cartridges the trajectory is ok flat, it's only down 1.3 inches at 200 yards and 17.5 at 300.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 35 Rem :: 35 Rem 200 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®

Also, check out this article on a top 6 list for hunting rifles. It has a lot of good info:

Top Deer Rifles

Good luck on your first hunt B)

Thanks for the feedback. First off I'm going to have to see how widely available the ammo is. There's not many places here that carry ammo so I want to get something pretty common.
How old are you and how big are you? If your 12 and a 100 pounds, then a .308 is probably too much to start on. Even if you're 20, a bolt action .308 kicks enough that you could develop a flinch learning to shoot it. .308 vs 30-06 is a better comparison. 30-30 is a fine gun for Tennessee. I would want something bigger for elk, but be realistic about your hunting opportunities when choosing your rifle. Do you have hunting grounds that you can shoot elk on? Do you have hunting grounds that will allow you to shoot past 100 yards?

As far as ammo cost, it is all pretty expensive except for .22 long rifle.

30-06 is a good recommendation to start with. You can work your way up from "reduced recoil" rounds and it is probably the best all around gun for North America. There is also lots of ammo choices in every state and it's easy to find due to popularity. Just keep in mind that hunting doesn't have to begin with deer or elk. You can learn alot from squirrels, rabbits and birds.

I'm 21 so I guess better late than never to learn. I've shot a 12 gauge a few times so I have a little experience with recoil.

To be honest I have absolutely no idea what the area is like in terms of hunting grounds though I do know there are grounds around here where I can get an elk. I've got a friend or two from high school that hunt so I could ask them for advice. They're difficult to get ahold of which is why I came here first.

Yeah I know ammo is kinda pricey. I've got some .22s but I wouldn't want to shoot anything larger than a raccoon with those. I just want something that's pretty common so I can actually afford it because some people have said I should get rifles in various calibers I can't even remember and the local gun shops don't even carry the ammo or have to order them special.

Anyway this is quite a bit for me to think about. Thanks for all the feedback.

I believe .270 is about as small someone should go for elk. The 30-30 is a deer slayer, but probably not an elk slayer.

There are a few great, carbine size .308s out there. I have two, a Remington Model Seven and a Browning BLR. under 200 yards, a 30-06 won't beat it by much. Just sight it in 2 inches high at 100 Yds and your good at 200 and about 8" low at 300.

I'd recommend a model seven in 308 if you can find it. Something with a 20" barrel is fine. No need for a long heavy rifle in 308.

The more people I talk to the more I hear 30-30 isn't a good idea for elk. I'm hearing a lot more good for 30-06 though. My grandpa used to have one but then he gave it away about 10 years ago. Such is life though.

You want flat trajectory, inexpensive ammo, and a cartridge adequate for deer and elk. You mentioned the 30-30 and the 308 Winchester. Although ammo is a bit cheaper for the 30-30, both are very common, and inexpensive as far as centerfire rifle cartridges go. The 308 will be more adequate for elk, and have a much flatter trajectory. Some others I'd recommend would be the 30-06 Springfield or the 270 Winchester. If you are planning to reload as well, I can recommend many more. These are commonly found at any store that sell ammo, and are among the least expensive round that will do what you are asking.

Yeah my grandpa wants to get me into reloading. With all the people talking about how great an 06 is that sounds like a good way to go. I'm not looking for dirt cheap ammo, but something that won't cost an arm and a leg.

I like the 308 better personally, and if you're going to get into handloading; the minimal gap between the 308 and the '06 gets even smaller. The 308 will be a short action and may prove to be a little light to carry depending on what rifle you choose.

Guest chimpinator

So I talked it over with my grandpa and we decided to go with 30-06. He used to have an 06 rifle but he gave it away to an uncle of mine. This uncle has a massive collection of well over 30 rifles, possibly near 50. Anyway the point being he has more rifles than he needs. He said he needs to give some away anyway so this year at the family reunion I will be picking it up. :)

Thanks again for all the feedback, guys!

I just got the chance to shoot my uncle's 32 year old Remington 700 30-06 last weekend and that is a sweet weapon. It packs a decent but very managable punch, but esp for elk, accuracy is essential and this one is definitely a tack driver.

If that's the model you got you have a great gun. Especially since it was given to you by your uncle.

It's not a "Massive collection" until it's like an old man a used to know...He's actually bought guns at shows because he's "Always wanted one of those" He gets it home and a few days later [while trying to find room in one of his safes for it] realizes he already has one. Or one ole boy I used to work with, I have seen him pick up guns from his dealer and never even take it out of the box. Just carry it home and stack it up with the rest of them.

When you display some of those things.....you may have a "Massive" collection.