Can't renew HCP online. Why?

Maybe it's me. But I don't understand our Dept. of Safety. We can renew our drivers license online, but not our HCP. Does not make since to me. But any thing that involves doing something easy is not how are goverment works. I have renewed my drivers license online several times. Better than going and waiting all day at the drivers license center. gearyr

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you renew your HCP and fill out the application again, you are signing (under penalty of perjury) that all the information is correct. I guess bascially the state is not setup to take legally binding electronic signatures.

Guest .45packer

You can renew by mail. Submit the signed application and your ransom check for $50. They will even send you the application.

doing it by mail is easier that doing anything online. Took me all of a couple of minutes to fill out the form and put it in a stamped envelope.

The TDOS even was so thoughtful as to mail me the renewal form well in advance of the permits expiration.

All in all it was about the most painless interaction I have ever had with a state agency.

Guest yzfMrLee
heck, booting up the computer would have taken longer than filling out the form did.

lol. That one made me curious. So I powered down my computer and turned it back on. It took 41.7 seconds to boot and, was on the site in another 14.3. (results may vary)

Guest friesepferd
I hardly ever turn mine off to need to boot up.....lol

+1. My computer only gets turned off when I'm leaving for vacation or something.

Obviously restarts occur as needed for updates and such, but thats about it.

When I applied for my HCP last November, I was told that starting July '11 that to renew your license as well as your HCP you will need to come into a DMV center and show your birth certificate as if you were applying for a new one. I'm not positive that will take affect but that is what the lady processing my permit application stated. So it may be that we'll not even get to renew our DL's online anymore.

Guest ArmaDeFuego
When I applied for my HCP last November, I was told that starting July '11 that to renew your license as well as your HCP you will need to come into a DMV center and show your birth certificate as if you were applying for a new one. I'm not positive that will take affect but that is what the lady processing my permit application stated. So it may be that we'll not even get to renew our DL's online anymore.

They better start hiring a BUNCH more DMV workers right now then. The lines in those places are already way too long. Can you imagine the hell it will be if EVERYONE has to physically go to the DMV just to renew? Uggggg

A while back they were requiring you to show your birth certificate to renew your HCP, but after an AG opinion (09-106) they stopped requiring them. So I would think the only way to start requiring it would be a change in the law. Looking over the Public Acts passed so for this session (see here) I don't see anything that has passed to that effect, but I may have missed it.

Guest WyattEarp

I cant seem to find the link, but I remember reading somewhere that they were considering making the HCP permit a one time fee, and putting it as an endorsement on your drivers license. anyone else hear about this?

edit: I found it.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/107/Bill/SB0397.pdf

SECTION 11. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1351, is amended by deleting subsection (n) in its entirety and by substituting instead the following:

(n) Unless suspended or revoked, a permit issued pursuant to this section shall not expire and shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns that the permit holder legally owns or possesses. A permit shall be evidenced by an endorsement on a driver license as provided by § 55-50-302. The permit holder shall have such permit holder's driver license with the permit endorsement in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer. SECTION 12. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1351, is amended by deleting subsection (o) in its entirety and by substituting instead the following: (o) The permit shall be issued as an endorsement on a state of Tennessee driver license.

SECTION 13. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1351, is amended by deleting subsection (q) in its entirety and by substituting instead the following:

(q) A permit holder shall have a firearms permit endorsement placed on the permit holder's Tennessee driver license when such driver license is issued or renewed. SECTION 14. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 55-50-102, is amended by adding a new subdivision thereto, as follows: ( ) "Firearms permit endorsement" means a special authorization that permit the holder to carry firearms where such weapons are not otherwise prohibited by law;

SECTION 15. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 55-50-302, is amended by adding a new subsection thereto, as follows:

(h) The department shall issue firearms permit endorsements to those persons who have received a handgun carry permit pursuant to § 39-17-1351.

- 3 - 00174461

SECTION 16. Firearms permit endorsements shall be added to Tennessee driver licenses as they are issued or replaced. Handgun carry permits issued prior to the effective date of this act shall remain valid until a firearm permit endorsement is placed on the permit holder's driver license.

SECTION 17. This act shall take effect July 1, 2011, the public welfare requiring it.

Edited by WyattEarp
I cant seem to find the link, but I remember reading somewhere that they were considering making the HCP permit a one time fee, and putting it as an endorsement on your drivers license. anyone else hear about this?...

Discussed a bunch back when it was still active. One of Campfield's bills. Dumped.

- OS