Need a Bit of Help Valuing a S&W 686

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, all 686's have adjustable sights....if it doesn't it is a 681. There were few options, white outline rear sight, red ramp front sight, barrel length, some grips, I don't think they had a target trigger or hammer option but I am not sure. If you have the box and it is like new you might be able to get that 550-600 but normally I see people asking that and never getting it. 450 is more realistic IMO and I have bought and sold a number over the years.

It is a 686.

Around 200 rounds fired. This is an early L frame, 686-2 Smith and Wesson, in excellent condition. It is an older model and does not have the hammer lock key system. You won't be able to find a 4" 686 in better condition. Trigger has been smoothed with a crisp 2.8 lb break, in single action. Perfect factory checkered Goncalo Alves grips. Red ramp front and adjustable rear sight, with white outline.

I have made a few pics - just cant figure out how to get them posted! Dang computers!

%5C

Edited by MarkInNashville
It is a 686.

Around 200 rounds fired. This is an early L frame, 686-2 Smith and Wesson, in excellent condition. It is an older model and does not have the hammer lock key system. You won't be able to find a 4" 686 in better condition. Trigger has been smoothed with a crisp 2.8 lb break, in single action. Perfect factory checkered Goncalo Alves grips. Red ramp front and adjustable rear sight, with white outline.

%5C

I have made a few pics - just cant figure out how to get them posted! Dang computers!

You have to download the pics to a photo hosting website like photobucket, there are others. Then copy and paste the picture's direct page link to the Insert Image button when you push that, seen at the top when you are in reply mode. Next to video link and all of the others where font selection and other buttons are.

Guest motonut

Still have my 686 (no dash) I bought new back in '85 - '86, have the original box with the price sticker on it. $329. Won't sell it though.

Warbird: Thanks a lot! I had figured that much out. I have a Flickr account but I still can't seem to make it happen. I have tried account sitting on Flickr and even switched my inter browser. Do you have to be a Benefactor maybe to post pix?

I'm sorry I wasn't much help, if you had already figured that much out. I am not a computer techno guy. As long as things go the way they are supposed to I am good. If they don't I become pretty useless. i don't think you have to be a benefactor to post pics. I am pretty sure of that. Maybe a mod of computer techno can point you the right path.

Guest Lester Weevils

From the pictures it appears to be a beautiful gun that has been well cared for (but I don't know anything about anything).

I have a blue 586 .357 made sometime in the 1980's which looks a lot like yours. It is doubtful I'd sell it unless times got very lean.

Are all the 686 seven shoooters? Are they all stainless? I don't recall seeing any blue 686, but dunno much about it.

If I eventually get another revolver, was thinking maybe a 686, but just for variety maybe get a 6" barrel just for variety, because the 586 I have is a 4" barrel.

At last weeks gun show, on one side of the building there were nice-looking S&W revolvers in the $800 and up price category. Some of them way higher than $800. Then on the other side there were some old guys with small tables where the few S&W revolvers they had, were more in the $400 to $600 ballpark. The old guys guns looked about as good condition for less money, but I didn't put them under the microscope to see if they were "impeccable" or whatever.

Later went by Sportsmans warehouse and they had a couple of brand-new 686 in the $700 - $800 ballpark. Didn't write down the prices, but thats what I remember.

Collectors maybe would value an old one more than a new one. Dunno if it would make a lot of diff to me. Seems doubtful I'd ever pay MORE than current retail on a S&W revolver. But I just like to shoot em, not collect em.

From the pictures it appears to be a beautiful gun that has been well cared for (but I don't know anything about anything).

I have a blue 586 .357 made sometime in the 1980's which looks a lot like yours. It is doubtful I'd sell it unless times got very lean.

Are all the 686 seven shoooters? Are they all stainless? I don't recall seeing any blue 686, but dunno much about it.

If I eventually get another revolver, was thinking maybe a 686, but just for variety maybe get a 6" barrel just for variety, because the 586 I have is a 4" barrel.

At last weeks gun show, on one side of the building there were nice-looking S&W revolvers in the $800 and up price category. Some of them way higher than $800. Then on the other side there were some old guys with small tables where the few S&W revolvers they had, were more in the $400 to $600 ballpark. The old guys guns looked about as good condition for less money, but I didn't put them under the microscope to see if they were "impeccable" or whatever.

Later went by Sportsmans warehouse and they had a couple of brand-new 686 in the $700 - $800 ballpark. Didn't write down the prices, but thats what I remember.

Collectors maybe would value an old one more than a new one. Dunno if it would make a lot of diff to me. Seems doubtful I'd ever pay MORE than current retail on a S&W revolver. But I just like to shoot em, not collect em.

They are identical in all respects - 586 is the blue version, the 686 the stainless one... at least I believe that is the case.