Whats your GRIP?

JeffsSig

What grip Material do you like best?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What grip Material do you like best?

• Wood
    • Aluminum or metal alloys
    • Plastic
    • Carbon-fiber
    • Micarta
    • Rubber
    • OTHER
    • Dont care what type they are

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked rubber for the softness/nonslip but to be honest, plastic, rubber, carbon fiber, etc are all the same to me. Wood is its own thing and the shape/texture matter so much, some wood grips I hated and some I love. Metal I do not like on most guns, a few have managed to do it well. I am not sure what micarta even is, is that another way of saying plastic?

I'll follow JeffsSig's lead and list mine in order of personal preference:

Wood

Micarta

Carbon-fiber

Rubber

Plastic

Aluminum or metal alloys

I just don't think you can beat the look, feel, and grip of a nice set of checkered wood grips. The micarta are great for durability and grip, and have a nice aggressive look if that's what you are going for (this is a close second for me). Carbon fiber looks cool, but compared to the others, I prefer the wood or micarta. Rubber is a great utility grip but they tend to look cheap and don't hold up very well (I used them on my primary duty weapon because they are probably the best in the rain and are low-key for police carry). Plastic? Nah, not unless I have to or I can't find other grips for it. Aluminum grips look cool, but I don't like how they transfer the cold.

I really like the slim profile of the Alumagrips on my 1911. Other than that I don't really care. My Glocks have...well, Glock grips, I would never slide anything over them. Most of the rest of my pistols have the grips that came on them. For some reason I have Pachmyer grips on my Beretta 92. I don't like them as they are too bulky. At some point I will change them back to the original. I do like that Beretta as it is an Italian Beretta. But, I don't shoot it but once a year if that.

I will say I am not big on the extremely aggressive grips, but could see why a competitive shooter would like them.

I appreciate rubber grips the most at the range, wood grips the most at a BBQ, and aluminum grips most when I run out of bullets (gun becomes hammer, LOL).

For EDC I like my Crimson Trace grips, in spite of them being made of plastic.

Guest nysos

I am less concerned about the materials of the grip as so much as the shape and if it is comfortable. Even though my p229 has aluminum grips, they are comfy as hell, but friggin cold when carrying in the winter. Because of this I prefer grips that are more of an insulator vs conductor. Polymer is fine by me. I like the feel of wood grips, but am one of the few that I guess hates the look of it.

Guest 6.8 AR

Anything that allows me to control the weapon. If it fits my hand and allows me to "grip" it

with control, it's good. I liked Steelharp's answer: Glock, because that works for me, also.

I know it is an impure thought for a 1911, but I like Hogue on my 1911. Kinda makes it too fat

in my hand, but it is easier to control.

Like a lot of other things, I haven't tried many grip types. I'm sure I will.:D