Thoughts on Taurus TCP/

Guest TN.Frank

Guest TN.Frank

Been doing a little reading up on these since I'd like something even smaller then my Glock G26 and it seems that the "B" series is pretty good but the first ones(the "A" series) are pretty much junk. Where would I look to see what series it is, in the SN# or what? Also, does anyone own one of these and what do you think of it for EDC? Thanks.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one and really love it. Mine is an 'A' series. The letter is in the serial number. I have heard & read both ways about problems. Some say the A series is the better one and others say that the B series is the way to go. I have had mine since last November and never have had a problem with it. If you haven`t already been go to www.taurusarmed.net This site will tell you almost everything you want to know about Taurus guns without all the BS from non owners. I own 2 Taurus pistols and 2 Glock pistols and would buy either one again. Have had good luck with all. The nice thing about the TCP is that it comes with 2 mags, locks open on last round fired, comes with a holster and has a lifetime warranty . Hard to beat that. Good Luck

Guest TN.Frank

That slide hold open on the last shot is what really sells me on the TCP over the Ruger LCP. It's nice to know when you're empty aside from a "click" when you pull the trigger. IIRC I think I'm registered on that web site. Maybe have to check it out again. Thanks.

I had a B I'm pretty sure. I got it for a little over $250 new from GT Distributors, Academy had good deals to. I could not find any hollow points that would cycle, only FMJ. I traded it off. I too was sold on the last round slide lock back but realized how that was a stupid selling point(compare to a revolver)

I had one and hated it. Got a S&W .380 bodyguard and haven't looked back. Much nicer pistol in all aspects.

I guess quality control ain't what it used to be - I had just the opposite experience. I bought a S&W 380 Body Guard, worse gun I ever owned and I even sent it back to S&W 1st for repairs and it STILL came back unreliable. I bought a TCP and never once had an issue with mine . . . . . and so it goes.

Personal opinion. Didn't like the Bodyguard at all. Hated laser on/off switch position. Looked and felt like a kids toy reject. Not saying the TCP is the best thing since sliced bread...but for me anyway, was far better than the Smith. And before you chastise me unmercifully, I'm a big fan of S&W guns. I have several wheel guns and autoloaders as well. Just think the Bodyguard was a rushed-out-the-door product.

Edited by hipower
Guest TN.Frank

Kel-Tec PF9 would be nice but they tend to be priced as much or more then the Ruger LCP and Taurus TCP and I personally don't think they're built nearly as well, they just feel "cheap" to me. A PF9 or P11 from the feel of em' should sell for $175-$200 new but we all know there more then that and I just don't think they're worth it.

I can't say that I totally agree with TN.Frank. I have owned several Keltec pistols...the 32/380/and PF9. Still have the 32 and find it a very decent accurate little pocket pistol. I had no issues at all with fit, finish, or function on any of them. As for the "cheap" feel, hey, it's a an inexpensive polymer pistol. Same as Glock, Springfield, Sig, S&W, etc.

Polymer frames are what they are...a "plastic" frame to save on cost and weight. Comparably speaking, there's not a lot of difference between the LCP and the Keltec. Size, weight, feel, and the same long, funky trigger on both.

As for cost and worth, well the marker and the market decides them. If it's priced too high and not "worth" the price to anyone, sales will go nowhere.

Guest TN.Frank

I've compared the Kel-Tec P11 side by side with the Taurus 709 slim and they're not even close in how they feel in your hand. The plastic that Taurus uses has a better feel to it then the Kel-Tec, which feel like plastic used to make toys, not firearms. Same with my G26, it feels like a real gun, not a toy. Yes, all of em' have plastic frames but there's different grades of plastic and Kel-Tec seems to use something that just doesn't feel like it should be used in a firearm.

Guest kirkosaurus

I played with the LCP, P3AT and TCP. I think the LCP/P3AT felt better in my hand but the TCP had a much better trigger feel. Also the TCP was less expensive than even the Kel-Tec and came with an extra mag (the LCP and P3AT only come with one mag). Also the TCP just looks cooler than the other two. :)

The TCP had more going for it so I bought that one.

This thing is super accurate. This is from 50 feet rapid fire:

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x391/mr2kirk/36833341.jpg

Had 2 FTF in the first 50 rounds but since then I learned to really hold on tight (guns this small are hard to hold on to) and haven't had any problems since (about 200 rounds now).

I love the TCP. Recommended it to my bro-in-law and he bought one too and couldn't be happier.

Edited by kirkosaurus

I wouldn't have chose it myself, but I got a TCP for my birthday last year. It felt good, shot good, & the trigger was decent. Basically, I was surprised that I liked.

Unfortunately, 20 rounds into a box & it quit ejecting spent rounds. I hand to manually eject every shell. Although its not a fair trial, It kinda ruined my impression of the brand.

I wish I had as good of luck with it as I have with my Kel- Tec P-32. It has been perfect and I shoots better to me.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

I wish someone would get me a pistol for my birthday... Even if it were just a little TCP or Kel Tec or something.

Guest TN.Frank

Been reading some bad stuff about the TCP, one guy had a trigger break on the one he got for his wife and his was starting to go. I just don't think I can bring myself to trust em' even though I've had good luck with Taurus revolvers in the past. Think I'll just kind of hang lose for a while and see what's out there. Who knows, I may trade my G26 for something in a full size since I only carry with my CCW about 5% of the time, most of the time it just sits in a drawer waiting for a "bump in the night".