Lightweight AR

Guest nosnos

Guest nosnos

I'm building one for my wife off of a Plum Crazy lower. I'm trying to keep it as lightweight as possible on a budget. I'm thinking a DoubleStar pencil barrel upper, or a BCM. Any advice or tips would be helpful....

Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another option. I have two of these light weight Shaw barrels. It's the same one that Red Jacket uses on their "Shootrite Katana" light AR.

Model 1 Sales: 5.56/.223 Lightweight C.A.R Upper

Note that the price of the upper doesn't include the BCG. You can add one when you configure the upper.

I have that exact upper (A3 and railed gas block in my case). It's very light and I've had no trouble out of it. I kept my old BCG and charging handle and tucked my old 20" A2 HB upper in the back of the safe.

Model one is OK stuff, and they get it out fast. They DO assemble after you order, but they try to get them built and shipped within two business days.

Unless you placed your order during the post-election "OMFG, teh Obama is gonna take all our guns!!!" freakout. It took them 8 freaking months to fill my order because of that crap. Your choice during that time was either pay stupidly inflated prices at a gun show or place an order with someone like Model1 and wait until they could get the parts.

I was already planning to place that order when things went nuts, so I was less than pleased at the idiocy. (not on Model1's part, the twits who were buying everything in sight)

Guest 73challenger

I would go with that spikes upper for the same price. I am a Spikes/milspec fan boy though. Most of your reliability is from your BCG so I would at least buy a tier 1 BCG.

Unless you placed your order during the post-election "OMFG, teh Obama is gonna take all our guns!!!" freakout. It took them 8 freaking months to fill my order because of that crap. Your choice during that time was either pay stupidly inflated prices at a gun show or place an order with someone like Model1 and wait until they could get the parts.

I was already planning to place that order when things went nuts, so I was less than pleased at the idiocy. (not on Model1's part, the twits who were buying everything in sight)

They were fine last time I checked. I have bought one upper and two barrel assemblies from them in the last several months. It did take a friend of mine over a week to get a light upper from them. Not sure why it took a little longer.

I have a Spikes 14.5" with perma pinned Smith Enterprises Vortex on it(for 16" total length) with pencil profile barrel iits a pretty light setup. Key is not over-accessorizing the gun. Mine has a Sig Dot(i like my eotech better, but it is light), Moe furniture, and a magpul back up sight. Course my Czech VZ58 still makes it feel like a pig.

I bought a complete upper from JSE, had it in 2 days and the price was impossible to beat. I've put 3000 plus 22lr plus another 2k of 223 through mine, also on a plum crazy lower. I absolutely love mine. It is my favorite AR to shoot. I like it so much I'm gonna sell my other 2 complete lowers and get me a couple more of the plum crazy's

Guest nosnos

Just ordered from Model 1... They said it should ship out within 2 days, which is SWEET for a built-to-order upper. Love it, and the price was great.

This will be for my wife to celebrate our 6th anniversary and 1st baby's birth. She'll either think it's a great gift, or she'll think I'm an idiot. :)

Just ordered from Model 1... They said it should ship out within 2 days, which is SWEET for a built-to-order upper. Love it, and the price was great.

This will be for my wife to celebrate our 6th anniversary and 1st baby's birth. She'll either think it's a great gift, or she'll think I'm an idiot. :D

As a married man, I wonder which one that will be. :)

Also, post up pics when you get it in.