WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR FIREARM OWNERSHIP TODAY?

Guest pfries

Guest pfries

Good day to all,

This is a thread itself on another forum I use, that thread is growing constantly.

It has helped me find ways to introduce people to firearms, inventive ways to teach safety, new ideas for dealing with some of the anti-gun folks out there in a positive manor, and has always been a good read.

The fact is, TGO is a grass roots organization. It's members are what make or break it. :)

So, what have YOU done to help safe and responsible gun ownership today? If you can't answer that question, perhaps you are part of the problem, and not part of the solution. :D

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pfries

Night before last me and a friend introduced two young ladies from work to firearms. They have been toying with the idea of getting something for protection but neither one of them had ever held let alone shot a gun. We walked them through all of the safety concerns with firearms, proper use and care, then we started them shooting. We started them small on the .22 and .17 HMR (boy that one is fun to plink with) and by the end they were comfortably shooting the SK, 12 Gauge, Mosin Nagant, HK, and Dragunauv like pros. I did laugh when we started on the hand guns as they showed no interest in anything smaller than a 9mm.

Well folks next week we are going shopping and now they are interested in carry, not just one for the house.:P

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I talked my parents into getting a handgun for home defense a few weeks ago. All they had before that was a single shot .410 shotgun. (Not the best thing to have in a home defense situation.) I'm trying to get them to get their carry permits now.

Now I'm also trying to get my sister to get a handgun for home defense. She doesnt have any guns at all & doesnt really like them. I took her to the range a couple weeks ago & got her to shoot my 9mm. (She was scared of the .45 though & wouldnt shoot it.) She has an alarm at her house, but I'm trying to explain to her now that when seconds count the cops are minutes away. Hopefully I can talk her into getting a gun. I told her about the "Pink Lady" revolvers that they have & she seemed to think those were cool....

Today? target practice!

Recently - armed my wife, daughter, and son. Gave good ammo to several people.

Letters, calls, e-mails, and posts in support of the 2nd amendment.

Dispensed a few nuisance animals.

Ordered another rifle...hey, it helps the industry!

Guest friesepferd

Today? Considering its 7am, probably not a lot...

Lately- introduced many new people to firearms. Taught them firearm safety, took them out shooting, the whole 9 yards. Many of them now interested in purchasing their first gun.

Also took someone out shooting that does carry, but does not shoot nearly enough (hardly ever). Again made sure they both (husband and wife) knew the proper safety techniques, then worked a lot with them on their shot. Also discussed carrying and the various ways it can be made better and safer.

Not as recently, I ran a gun range at the university I attended. I taught probably 100 people a week gun safety and how to shoot. Many of them ladies and foreigners who had absolutely no experiance with guns.

I also talk with non gun people on a regular basis about self defense and gun safety.

Guest pfries

Well with a murder happening a few houses down Sunday morning in our rural area, I think I may have the misses (who shoots with me fairly regular) ready to get her HCP. I hope she does as I would be more at ease.

I sell guns. :) Seriously though, we get a lot of women and first time shooters through the store that are scared or have never handled a gun before. It is enjoyable to see them go from scared of an inanimate object to excited as they check out with their new gun. Then days later when they come back for more ammo and targets, to hear how they are having some much fun and are now looking for their next weapon. This is pretty much how it should work on the personal level. Get them started with something they are comfortable with, don't be a know it all, let them take their time, and they will tell more people than you can imagine and it will grow from there.

Guys bring you wife and let her pick out her OWN gun. For some reason, my wife included, will listen to some random person before she will ever hear a word from me! :)

A few people at work that now I am pro gun ask me gun related question and I do my best to answer their questions. I direct them to this site.

Some that are interested I have let them know if they want to go shooting sometime to let me know and I would take them to the gun range. In short, I left it up to them if they are interested. Like religion, don't push it, leave the door open.

Guys bring you wife and let her pick out her OWN gun. For some reason, my wife included, will listen to some random person before she will ever hear a word from me! :)

I took my wife into a store, I had a few ideas what I was planning for her, and I started putting guns in her hand to see what fit. She has small hands. A Walter P22 is almost 2 big for her hands (practice pistol). I might get a PK380 next since it is about the same size.

Edited by vontar

I took my wife into a store, I had a few ideas what I was planning for her, and I started putting guns in her hand to see what fit. She has small hands. A Walter P22 is almost 2 big for her hands (practice pistol). I might get a PK380 next since it is about the same size.

PK380's are a very popular choice for the ladies (men too :)) as well as the Bersa Thunder 380. Both are smallish enough for carry, shoot a decent round, is NOT overpowering, and the slides (especially the PK380) are easy to work. Good choice.

My church started a new men's program (three years ago it was new anyway). The concept is if you mountain bike, golf, fish, run, or shoot do it with other men in the church. I started the shooting group and had some funny looks and tons of jokes when things first kicked off. Now it's one of the most popular activities men get involved in. We have over 120 people that get the emails to shoot with us and typically have 12-20 shooters on our range days. I have had cleaning events, safety events, and had a bring your spouse event to help the ladies see her husband is not crazy and that there are lots of men who shoot.I seem to be the go to guy when someone buys their son a .22 or thier wife wants to learn to shoot. Anybody considering starting a group in your church I say go for it. I can help you with anything you need. I have the waiver forms, safety info and even Power Points that helped me teach safety to the new shooters. My church is a very large well known church in the Franklin area and I'm sure I can have the pastor or one of the staff talk to your pastor or men's group leader if there is some trepidation on the subject.

It feels a little like that movie Fight Club. You walk through the halls and seems guy with is sweet little kids and you know he has an AK or M4 that nobody would suspect.

Edited by bigwakes
Guest pfries

@ bigwakes I might like to make a day trip of it and come out, are you planning any youth shoots? It would be nice to have my kids involved in somthing like that as I have gotten the comment that they wish thier friends could shoot with them. Unfortunatley without parental consent I will not take other kids out on the property and have yet to get a real response from other parents in my area.

Guest peacexxl

Recently, I bought my mom and SIL TCPs for Mother's day and told them that they have to come to the range with my daughters SOON. Throwing in a little pressure from the granddaughters/nieces is an easy way to get them to say yes.

Guest pfries

Last night a few friends and myself made sure to shoot off enough ammo that we would half to restock our supplies (and buy more dies primers and powder) to support the manufactures.....

:D:rolleyes:

Guest PapaB

In April I taught my daughter and grandson how to safely handle and shoot a handgun. Took my wife and daughter to the range for practise as well as shooting here on my property. Last month we all took our HCP class together. This month we all applied for our permits. I must have taught my wife well because on Sunday she said she needed to go to the range for more practise and before we left she had bought us a 1 year membership.

Guest Kamikaze

Today I am taking the wife to the range for some practice before she goes on Saturday to take her HPC class. While she is there for 8 hours I will have all three kids by myself, ages 4, 2, and 10 months......... Please pray for my sanity......... :D

@ bigwakes I might like to make a day trip of it and come out, are you planning any youth shoots? It would be nice to have my kids involved in somthing like that as I have gotten the comment that they wish thier friends could shoot with them. Unfortunatley without parental consent I will not take other kids out on the property and have yet to get a real response from other parents in my area.

We don't really do youth shoots, although plenty of kids come out with their parents. We don't have a shoot on the schedule this month. When I gt one for next month I will let you know.

Guest pfries
Today I am taking the wife to the range for some practice before she goes on Saturday to take her HPC class. While she is there for 8 hours I will have all three kids by myself, ages 4, 2, and 10 months......... Please pray for my sanity......... B)

Prayers are with you..... I have 5...;)

Guest WyattEarp
Night before last me and a friend introduced two young ladies from work to firearms. They have been toying with the idea of getting something for protection but neither one of them had ever held let alone shot a gun. We walked them through all of the safety concerns with firearms, proper use and care, then we started them shooting. We started them small on the .22 and .17 HMR (boy that one is fun to plink with) and by the end they were comfortably shooting the SK, 12 Gauge, Mosin Nagant, HK, and Dragunauv like pros. I did laugh when we started on the hand guns as they showed no interest in anything smaller than a 9mm.

Well folks next week we are going shopping and now they are interested in carry, not just one for the house.;)

I would have them look into taking the Tennessee Hunter's Safety Education Course if they haven't already done it. They'll gain some knowledge and become a bit more comfortable with firearms handling.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency- Hunter Education

Well...I can't say I did something specific "today" or even everyday but in general:

1. I belong to many pro-firearm organizations and have for a long time; some are "politically inclined" and some tied to specific firearms related sports.

2. For the past two years I've organized two skeet shoots for my car club through which I've helped introduce about 25 people who have never owned or fired a firearm to the fun of firearms competition.

3. I'm currently working on a fundraiser for the Tennessee Firearms Association Legislative Action Committee that I hope will happen sometime this fall.

4. I'm as politically active as I can be regarding firearms-related issues.

5. I practice and I obtain training in a variety of shooting skills; defensive and otherwise.

6. I try and be a responsible gun owner by protecting my weapons from theft/loss and I always try to be a positive role-model of what it means to be a responsible, law-abiding, gun owning/gun carrying citizen.

That's about as much as I have time and money for right now but I'm always open to new ways to help/be involved. ;)

Edited by RobertNashville