High Point .40 review

Guest 10mm4me

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The High Point pistols seem to have a cult following and don't linger long in gun store display cases, I see them around a lot. Yes they look strange and yes the mag's are a weak link but people keep buying them. I don't own any of them and probably wont for that matter but I'm not going to trash talk them either. I remember all the RG's and like handgun's that flooded the market year's ago that people bought like there was no tomorrow. They were for the most part junk. The High Point's aren't.

My buddy bought a used Hi Point 9mm a few years ago and I got several hundred rounds of ammo. We only had two mags. We loaded those mags as fast as we could and shot all the ammo. The gun functioned fine. I've shot several and owned one HiPoint carbine in 9mm. They all worked. I would like to shoot the .45 but am not going to buy one just to shoot the thing.

I had a 9mm Carbine. It was a good rifle as long as I was using Hi-point Mags. I bough after market mags and they were junk. Really fun to shot. Saidly I needed the money and I sold it. Regret it now. I'll buy another one. Thought about buying a pistol because of some of the review/reports here, but they are just too danged ugly. I suppose I will breakdown one of these days and purchase one though.

Guest Aces&8s

I am very tempted to buy one of the new 4595 carbines, since my 9mm carbine has been such a good rifle. Plus, I now have a 1911, so I have the excuse that I can "share ammo"... honestly, though, none of my guns "share" ammo... they are all greedy and keep demanding more and more from me.

Have the Hi-point 9 mm carbine and pistol. Put over 1000 rounds through each with zero problems. The pistol is to big and ugly to carry but great for HD. The carbine is way more accurate than anything I have ever owned. I would never hesitate to get another one. Everyone that has shot my hi-points end up buying one. Hi-point pistols were never meant as a carry gun, just made for range and HD. For all the haters shoot one for accuracy and not feel and finish, plus the no hassle warranty it is the best non carry guns I own.

I think I'm going to go buy a 9mm Hi point and toss it in the safe; In protest to peoples' protest to Hi Point.

Dang it--now I'm more depressed than ever that I sold my 0.40 S&W JCP about a year ago....I think I'll follow your lead and buy a C9 AND a carbine, too! My "higher end" stuff never minded being in the same range bag/cabinet.:mad:

Dang it--now I'm more depressed than ever that I sold my 0.40 S&W JCP about a year ago....I think I'll follow your lead and buy a C9 AND a carbine, too! My "higher end" stuff never minded being in the same range bag/cabinet.:mad:

If any of my guns were to get snobby like that, I'd shoot Wolf through them and not clean them for a month just to give them an attitude adjustment.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I own a Hi Point .45.

Its good for what I need for it to do. I bought it as a range gun & to keep around the house as self defense. I dont shoot .45 at the range too much, so I doubt if it will ever get a ton of rounds put through it. If you want a gun that you can put 30,000 rounds through, a Hi Point probably isnt your gun. If you want something to shoot every now & then & leave around the house for home defense, a Hi Point is what you're looking for.

I've probably put about 300 rounds or so through mine of various ammo (WWB & Blazer FMJs, Magtech JHPs) & have never had any kind of malfunction so far. It has shot flawlessly. I leave it loaded under my wife's side of the bed. I trust it enough for her to use if the SHTF around here. Its gone BOOM every single time the trigger has been pulled so far.

Actually come to think of it, with the warranty it has, you probably could put 30,000 rounds through it. Put a few thousand through it, then when it breaks just send it back to them & they'll repair it for free, then put a few thousand more through it. Rinse & repeat lol.

Its ugly & heavy, & of course there are WAY better guns out there, but for the price point you really cant beat a Hi Point. Reliable, cheap, & made in the USA with a lifetime warranty. If I ever want to get a secondary 9mm to compliment my XDm I'll probably get a Hi Point C9. Cant beat one of those for $120.

Guest raflomo

Well I got one ...a C9. 500 rounds thus far with no hiccups.Clean it after every outing even tho they recommend 2000-3000.It is a good starter and thats why I got it.Viva la High Point!!!

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Well I got one ...a C9. 500 rounds thus far with no hiccups.Clean it after every outing even tho they recommend 2000-3000.It is a good starter and thats why I got it.Viva la High Point!!!

Yep. I think people get into bashing Hi Points when they try to compare them to a Glock or something like that. Obviously a Hi Point is not a Glock. If you keep in mind what its for & how much it costs its a decent gun. You can get like 3 new Hi Points for the price of 1 Glock hahah.

Also I think sometimes when people think of Hi Points they look at the cost & automatically assume that since it has about the same price point as the Jennings or Brycos used to have that its somehow gonna be the same gun. I had a friend who had a Jennings back in the day & there is really no comparing the two in terms of reliability or durability.

One of the guys I taught to shoot has hi points, much against my advise. I shot his and it shoots good if you really take your time on the bang switch. But it's not a "self defense" weapon in our definition. Tossed in the drawer for a Saturday Night Special against a break in........... I'll give it that.

Guest ArmaDeFuego
But it's not a "self defense" weapon in our definition. Tossed in the drawer for a Saturday Night Special against a break in........... I'll give it that.

I agree. I wouldnt ever use one as an EDC. Not necessarily from a reliability standpoint, but mainly just cause its ugly & bulky as hell. Even the 9mm one is a brick.

There was an episode of Police Women of Memphis that had a shooting. A guy shot a robber. The gun used was a hi-point C9. Seemed to dispel two rumors.

1. Hi-Points can't be trusted

2. 9mm isn't enough

The guy was laying on the ground and in lots of pain. I'm sure his ambulance ride was fun.

Guest friesepferd

Although I am sure there are those out there that have more experiance than me, I really have had quite a bit of experiance with the HighPoint.

Personally, I am not the kind of person who just takes the gerneral road of "these guns are great and will never fail" or "these guns suck never ever buy one".

My opinion of a gun generally doesn't change just because X number of people on some forum say "mine is great and I have never had any problems" or "see, this one person shot a bad guy with one and it didn't jam during that shot" or "i never could get mine to work" or "this gun blew up. stay away!".

There are only a few guns with I can say that I can give a real opinion.

The first is the Ruger MKII and MKIII. I ran a pistol club at my university, and these were the guns we used. I don't know how many rounds went through each of these guns every week, but I would guess a few thousand per gun per week. Parts eventually wore and got replaced, but these guns never had any problems. They just kept on shooting. We only cleaned them every few weeks and there would be a 1/4" of blank gunk lining the entire inside of the gun that took a chizzle to get out. Anyways.... we arent talking about these guns, but I'm just giving an example of a gun that i WILL tell you is a good reliable gun, because I have watched many many of them get tortured for years and do great.

Another gun which I feel that I can comment on is indeed the HighPoint. For some reason our range had a few of them donated by comunity memebers or students. All I can say is no thanks. Personally, I hated the way these guns feel and shoot, but thats besides the point. The few guns that were donated we gave a chance. I had my doubts, but we had them, so we used them.... but not for very long. They simply could NOT handle what we needed them to do.. which was keep on going bang. We cleaned them more often, we had them adjusted by our gunsmith, we got more maganizes, we had them adjusted.. it didn't matter. Something always broke, rounds always jammed. We honestly spent more time trying to fix these guns than we spent shooting them. We eventually just got rid of them.

Having said that, that does NOT mean that you shouldn't get a HighPoint, or that they don't have a use. Due to how cheap they are, I think they are great for a lot of things:

- having a bunch of extra guns laying around just in case

- for occasional range use

- if you absolutely don't have enough money for a better gun, then can be used as a self defense gun

What I dont think they are good for:

-EDC gun

-highly used range gun

Thats just my two cents of course, so take it as you wish. It's simply what I have experianced with them compaired to other guns.

Maybe we just happened to get some bad ones, and there are better ones out there. Maybe the newer ones are better, etc.

People just need to be honest with themselves as to what works best for them and what they really trust.

I have to ask.

I have wondered about this for some time ... Respectfully, do folks feel confident "carrying" a Hi Point?

I might understand playing with it, at the range, and maybe you have excellent results. Hypothetically speaking, if you knew you were walking into a gun fight, would you trust a Hi Point with your life?

I have to ask.

I have wondered about this for some time ... Respectfully, do folks feel confident "carrying" a Hi Point?

I might understand playing with it, at the range, and maybe you have excellent results. Hypothetically speaking, if you knew you were walking into a gun fight, would you trust a Hi Point with your life?

And that is really the key question. If there were a line of handguns on a table and the Hi Point was one of them, would that be the first one you'd go to on your way to the showdown? Nope. Not in a million years. If the choice was the Hi Point versus a rock, paper, scissors, stick, or slingshot, I'd pick the Hi Point. Personally, I think they are better than most people give them credit for, but there is a reason it's not the top selling gun in America for law enforcement and personal defense use.

However, in light of the OP's sarcastic tone, I just happened across this post in another gun forum by a fellow whose avatar says "Ghetto Glock":

Picked up my new [Hi Point] 4595 yesterday and shot it today. The range was BUSY. With iron sights right out of the box I shot 9 rounds at 25 yds and 9 rounds at 50 yds... I only spent $77 bucks and Mom paid for the shipping.

Right now, with the quality and performance of two, out-of-the-box firearms, I feel pretty comfortable with my decision to buy Hi-Point products.

Well, I'm just not sure what to say about that... Edited by East_TN_Patriot
... "see, this one person shot a bad guy with one and it didn't jam during that shot" ...

If this was aimed at my previous post, please understand that post was meant with sarcasm.

And that is really the key question. If there were a line of handguns on a table and the Hi Point was one of them, would that be the first one you'd go to on your way to the showdown? Nope. Not in a million years. If the choice was the Hi Point versus a rock, paper, scissors, stick, or slingshot, I'd pick the Hi Point. Personally, I think they are better than most people give them credit for, but there is a reason it's not the top selling gun in America for law enforcement and personal defense use.

Thats assuming that we all have a table of handguns available to us at all time. Some people can only afford a kia but we all know that they would be better equipped at the drag races with a mustang or camaro. Sometimes its about what is available to you.

Although, I feel comfortable in saying that for most of the people on this forum, the money part isn't an issue. We buy the Hi-Points because we want to own everything and they can be a reliable little fun gun.

As to the stigma, if you bought one, shot 500 trouble free rounds out of it, would you trust it then? Probably not. Because its a mental thing. The way it looks and feels screams cheap, it is cheap to buy, and there is a horrible stigma attached to these guns from the internet mall ninjas. All of that is always in the back of your mind, no matter how dependable the gun is.

I have to ask.

No it would not be my primary choice ina carry firearm, however for what I do with mine they work. I shoot mine to make sure they will feed and fire the ammo I want to feed them, load them up and hide them around. once a year I'll take them out, wipe the dust off, fire off the rounds in teh gun, clean them again, reload them and replace them in their hiding spot.

No I'm not gonna shoot thousands of round through them, but that's not what I bought them for.