moving to Nashville and a little confused about some of the laws

We have NV and UT ccw permits. So we have read that we just have to fill out the renewal application and pay the fee for TN. Is this correct?

I have search google and read this forum for the last few hours looking for answers to other questions such as.

You can or can NOT carry in a resturant that serves alcohol?

Gun busters and other like signage is law in TN? Here in Vegas other than federal and state propertys the most a business with posted signs can do is ask you to leave and call LE to press tresspassing charges if you refuse to leave.

If they have signs on the building then the parking lot is covered also?

After reading alot of the postings here it just seems to be there are a lot of places that you can NOT carry there in TN and still be a lawfull citizen! As we all know its the crooks and thugs do not care about the law!

We are moving into what we have been told is a good area in the same neighborhood as Donelson Christian Academy and would like to utilize the Greenway bike trail. But is this part of the city parks and rec and we are not allowed to carry? Also this trail heads at Perce Priest Lake that is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers. So is that considered a state park and we can carry?

And the Greenway Trail touches the back side of the Tennessee LE academy!

Any help or direction to a link to help new comers to TN other than the general web link would be greatly appreciated.

We are looking forward to getting out of Vegas and enjoying the people and other things TN has to offer!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

I'll leave some of these for other people, but you CAN carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol provided that you do not drink while there, gun busters and other "legal postings" DO carry the force of law and you should not carry past them, but signs on buildings DO NOT also cover the parking lots (unless the parking lot is separately posted at its entrance).

We have NV and UT ccw permits. So we have read that we just have to fill out the renewal application and pay the fee for TN. Is this correct?...

Yes and no.

Nevada, yes.

"Applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, and pay the applicable renewal fee." (renewal fee is currently $50)

---------------

Utah, no.

"Applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted. "

----------------

Welcome to The Patron State of Shootin' Stuff

- OS

Guest ArmaDeFuego

Gun buster sign or written sign that is "substantially similar" to whats listed in TCA has the force of law. If you carry past it & are caught its a misdemeanor & you could be fined $500. (Dont think thats happened to anyone yet though....)

Guest bkelm18

After reading alot of the postings here it just seems to be there are a lot of places that you can NOT carry there in TN and still be a lawfull citizen! As we all know its the crooks and thugs do not care about the law!

Really there aren't that many places that are off limits. School, courthouses, and places that post (including some local parks). Other than that... I've lived here a long time and have honestly only seen 2 businesses that were posted properly. As far as parks, National and State parks you can carry. Local parks... it is up to the city or town to decide if they want to post or not. If they do decide, all entrances to the park must be posted.

Really there aren't that many places that are off limits. School, courthouses, and places that post (including some local parks). Other than that... I've lived here a long time and have honestly only seen 2 businesses that were posted properly. As far as parks, National and State parks you can carry. Local parks... it is up to the city or town to decide if they want to post or not. If they do decide, all entrances to the park must be posted.

Correction, it's not actually courthouses, just active courtrooms. There are just very few courthouses that aren't posted (smaller town courthouses tend to be not posted.)

Matthew

Thank you for all the replies and answers. We are excited to be leaving Las Vegas. Its going to be a long drive with a 24ft trailer! We get to CC almost all the way there! Have to stop at the AZ NM state line to un holster and dig out the safe to lock them up for the drive thru then stop in TX and then back to business as usual!

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
Correction, it's not actually courthouses, just active courtrooms. There are just very few courthouses that aren't posted (smaller town courthouses tend to be not posted.)

Matthew

And it's actually slightly crazier than that. If there is some room which is being used as a courtroom, it also becomes a no gun zone. So if, for example, there needed to be a hearing in a hospital room because the patient was needed as a witness and could not leave and for whatever reason they didn't want to just do it by video, that hospital room would be off limits even if you could normally carry there.

Of course the chances of that happening are really low, and you're not going to walk in on something like that by surprise...

Guest bkelm18

Matthew

Well, most court houses I've seen you've got to walk through a metal detector as soon as you enter anyway.

I am still in shock over possibly not being allowed to go grocery shopping and not being able to carry. I guess its very easy to take for granted the current laws here in Vegas!

Now I do have another question that I have googled and searched and found no answers. My question is, What am I allowed to cc? Here in NV you must carry what you qualified with ONLY! as well as here in Vegas metro you can only carry that weapon registered with its registration blue card. NO blue card and you get stopped and your in big trouble!

I have read that TN has no registration on handguns so does that mean if I own 5 handguns I can just pick and chose what I feel like that day or does each one have to be listed on the HCP?

Guest bkelm18
I am still in shock over possibly not being allowed to go grocery shopping and not being able to carry. I guess its very easy to take for granted the current laws here in Vegas!

Now I do have another question that I have googled and searched and found no answers. My question is, What am I allowed to cc? Here in NV you must carry what you qualified with ONLY! as well as here in Vegas metro you can only carry that weapon registered with its registration blue card. NO blue card and you get stopped and your in big trouble!

I have read that TN has no registration on handguns so does that mean if I own 5 handguns I can just pick and chose what I feel like that day or does each one have to be listed on the HCP?

Grocery stores that are posted are VERY rare. I've seen one, a health food store, and heard of a couple others. The big ones like Walmart, Kroger, Food City, Food Lion, etc aren't going to be posted. In TN you can carry any handgun you wish, it does not have to be the one you qualified with. You are correct, there is no registration of firearms in TN, if you owned 365 handguns, you could carry a different one every day of the year. :)

Guest ArmaDeFuego

Yep that is one good thing about here. The permit you get is for ANY handgun you wanna carry, & you can carry it openly or concealed. I guess every state has its trade offs. Here you can be fined for carrying past a sign but can carry any gun you want. In Nevada you cant be fined but you can only take the same gun out every time.

Correct no registration and you can carry all 5 at once if you wanted to. The HCP allows you to carry any handgun(s) you lawfully posses.

Guest cappy

The states very so much it is hard to keep track! for example in Indiana you can carry oc or cc any handgun. you can also go into any place that you would normally go in with your firearm with the exception of government buildings! the one stupid thing that Indiana does not have any laws about consuming an alcoholic beverage while carrying a firearm. But if you are a responseable individual you would not do that to begin with! Anyway welcome to TGO as well as the great state of Tennessee

Guest 270win

There is no state law that prohibits carry in state or local government buildings. Some have signs in line with 39-17-1359, some don't. I have carried my handgun in several local and state offices.

To be technical, very few buildings/properties that have 'no guns signs' or no gun picture signs up are in line with state law, if you read the state law word for word and then go around and look at the entrances.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tnmom2amk

So, what about the greenways in Davidson County? I don't think that was answered. Specifically the one running from the dam to Two Rivers Park.

So, what about the greenways in Davidson County? I don't think that was answered. Specifically the one running from the dam to Two Rivers Park.

Greenways are part of city/county park systems, carry regulated by each city/county. No carry in Nashville or Davidson County parks.

If it's part of a state park, okay to carry state wide.

- OS