Family wants to "see something historical"

My brother is bringing the family up from Florida in July and they "want to see something historical." The first thing that came to mind was the Big South Fork Scenic Railway. I've been wanting to take the train ride for a while now but haven't had the chance. It looks like a lot of fun but I'm not sure how "historical" it would be. Has anyone ridden the train before?

I'm open to other ideas as well. It would need to be something in East TN within 2 hours or less of La Follette.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode the BSFSR several years ago. Train was nothing special, just a diesel pusher and tram cars. The scenery is worth the trip, and includes historical info on the Blue Heron mine and coal tipple.

excellent, thanks for the info.

The whole Mine 81/Blue Heron area of the park is a real gem! I guess people just don't use the Stearns, KY entrance that much, but it's one of my favorite areas.

is that considered to be part of Big South Fork or Daniel Boone?

My GF and I are doing the honey creek loop on Sunday in BSF. We love it up there.

Guest texas308

Show em a picture of the constitution and tell em America used to follow this documents doctrine but now its just history.:bowrofl:

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

I'll second/third/whatever the GSMNP and Cades Cove. Beautiful area, plus the Cove has plenty of historical houses/churches to look at. Plus a good chance of seeing some deer or bear or beaver. Really tough to beat a drive through the mountains.

Guest mikedwood

My uncle says that Delta Queen in Chattanooga is really neat and very historical. It's almost like it was in yester year.

The Delta Queen and her identical twin the Delta King - called the million dollar boats - were fabricated from 1924 to 1927 on the River Clyde at the William Denny & Brothers Ltd., in California Dumbarton, Scotland and assembled that same year at Banner Island Shipyard in Stockton. The machinery was built by William Denny & Brothers Ltd., Dumbarton, Scotland. The paddlewheel shaft and the cranks were forged at Krupp Stahlwerke AG, Germany. The boats were completed on May 20, 1927.

Served in WWII

Delta Queen Hotel

It's a hotel right now and isn't allowed by the Coast Guard to move cause it has a wooden hull or something like that.

In 1966 the Safety of Life at Sea Law nearly ended the Delta Queen´s career. Because of her wooden structure the legislation would end her passenger cruise.

It got exemptions from 1966 till 2008 when they wouldn't exempt it anymore. The president has to exempt it I think.