harrison bay question

Guest Jon

So I know the law on state parks permits the carry of firearms and I remember reading a thread just a couple weeks ago of a couple guys on here that open carry in the park often.

Today I took my family to harrison bay to fish and play and noticed there is a sign that states firearms are not permited. Has the park been recently posted or has this sign just not been removed?

I talked to the lady in the check in building and she really didn't give me a straight answer. I didn't have time or I would have spoke with a ranger.

Could someone clarify this for me

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can carry in all state parks. The law didn't require them to remove the signs. City or County parks are an entirely different story.

So I know the law on state parks permits the carry of firearms and I remember reading a thread just a couple weeks ago of a couple guys on here that open carry in the park often.

Today I took my family to harrison bay to fish and play and noticed there is a sign that states firearms are not permited. Has the park been recently posted or has this sign just not been removed?

I talked to the lady in the check in building and she really didn't give me a straight answer. I didn't have time or I would have spoke with a ranger.

Could someone clarify this for me

Guest tommy62

I only live a mile from there and carry there often. I have a couple friends that I shoot with that are rangers. They said that they like for folks to keep covered to cut down on MWAG calls from the sheeple. I CC most of the time but nothing is said when I OC.

Thanks guys for the response and clarifying that for me.

Being a newb to the hcp scene my first instinct when I saw the sign was to disarm. It is kinda of misleading. Maybe the sign should read something to the extent of "no illegal firearms permittted" but that would be in a perfect world where everything was crystal clear.

Being a newb to the hcp scene my first instinct when I saw the sign was to disarm. It is kinda of misleading. Maybe the sign should read something to the extent of "no illegal firearms permittted" but that would be in a perfect world where everything was crystal clear.

Statute allows existing signs to stay up with whatever wording is on them so that no expense was incurred with the new law. Was part of the deal, that law change would be revenue neutral.

- OS

Yeah...I bet if all dogs were allowed or disallowed in state parks they would have found the money for new signs....but let it be firearms and it's a good way for some to kill the bill...so we are allowed to carry but there are still signs that say no firearms....

Hopefully new signs will be required at state parks (for one reason or another) over the years (hopefully not too many) and they can leave "No Firearms" off of them.

Went back today for a festival my wife wanted to take the kids too. Noticed the firearms bit is on bottom. Wouldn't cost anything just to saw it off lol id do it for em.

Well two things.....

1.) Technically it would cost whatever the hourly rate of the state employee is times the amount of time it took him to saw of the bottom of the sign. As silly as that sounds...it wasn't just the cost of the signs mentioned when this bill/law was being discussed.

2.) Legally they can't replace or change any signs except those that are damaged or scheduled for replacement. See below.

39-17-1311(e)(1) Because signage prohibiting the possessing of firearms while within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state or instrumentality of the state, and posted pursuant to this section prior to July 1, 2009, remains necessary for visitors who are not authorized to carry a firearm pursuant to subsection (B), the department shall not replace or change any existing signs that prohibit firearms or erect any new signs at existing state areas relative to firearms; however, the department may replace or repair signs that have been damaged or are scheduled for replacement in accordance with the park's regular replacement schedule.

As they replace the signs, they'll change the wording... but that might take 30 years B)

The problem I have is not about letting me know as a HCP holder that im allowed to carry its that the general public that comes into the park is gonna see a No Firearms sign. When they see me carrying my glock im gonna get called in because people are mislead to believe no firearms are allowed.

It just creates another headache for HCP holders.

The problem I have is not about letting me know as a HCP holder that im allowed to carry its that the general public that comes into the park is gonna see a No Firearms sign. When they see me carrying my glock im gonna get called in because people are mislead to believe no firearms are allowed.

It just creates another headache for HCP holders.

Agree..

Also bad for those from out of state with a permit/license who don't know TN law.

It really couldn't cost that much to replace or alter a wooden sign. Its not like the park doesn't bring in a tone of revenue off just camping alone.