SIG 250 test fire tomorrow.

Guest oldgunnut

Guest oldgunnut

Since SIG is pushing their new 250 so hard, similiar to Glock pimpin their guns to Law Enforcement in the 80s and 90s, I invited a SIG rep to let us try the gun tomorrow. A great day at the range: shooting someone elses ammo and not having to clean the gun after!:lol: All the Law Enforcement instructors from the departments in our county will be testing the gun. I will be happy to post our general impression, likes and dislikes tomorrow if anyone is interested.

If anyone else has shot one let me know what to look for and/or ask.

Too bad he couldn't bring his 556, but maybe next time.

Evaluation follows below.

Edited by oldgunnut
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oldgunnut

4 other firearms instructors and I put several rounds through the new P250, and the general consensus appears to be a love-hate.

We all loved the modular concept. The firing mechanism can simply and quickly be taken out of a full size frame and dropped into a compact or subcompact frame eliminating the need for buying three guns. Each different grip type( full, compact, or sub) will be available in 2-3 different physical sizes to accommodate different size hands. There will also be three different frame/ barrel sizes and 4 calibers making several different combinations available. In the mood for a full size grip with a compact barrel, go for it. 10 seconds later you can have the subcompact grip with the compact barrel. According to the SIG rep the different size grips with be priced at about $30 dollars while the different barrel/slides will be about $100. I imagine a "set" being sold with barrels in different lengths and calibers along with different size grips and magazines.

Other loved points:

The gun was VERY accurate. No bench testing, but offhand shooting from 15 -20 yards found most of the rounds inside a B27 10 ring by most of the shooters. Most of these shots were fired quickly and we weren't used to the trigger pull so I would still say very accurate.

Good night sights, maybe a tiny bit small.

The trigger was the smoothest I have ever felt on a DAO. The rep said all the guns have a 6lb pull but it actually felt to be about #3 to #3.5. The combination of the smoothness with a wide trigger and long trigger pull felt perfect and lent to the perception of a lighter pull.

Simple operation with no external safety and no decocker.

The anonymous HATE was the trigger reset. The reset was very spongy and light with no obvious click or change in feel to indicate the trigger had reset fully. This made double taps impossible because we were not letting the trigger out far enough. Once we realized how far out we had to release the trigger I found several of us slapping at the trigger. I even caught myself letting my finger come completely off the trigger then slapping the next shot. I think that with training and maybe a stiffer trigger return spring the problems could be overcome.

This was not the most scientific evaluation because of the 2 hour time restraint but I feel like we covered the major areas. I am looking forward to getting a unit in for Test and Evaluation later this year. Overall I would say an awesome concept and the only flaw was the trigger reset. Go to your gun shop and feel what I mean. If it doesn't bother you I would say get one, and pick up different frame sizes and barrels so you can clear your closets of different guns for different dress. Oh and send all those guns you clear out to me and I promise them a good home.

Tried the 250 today and the reset was very crisp and had a definite click. Maybe the ones they gave you guys had some trigger work done for the try out?

BTW the 250 felt very good and the trigger was way nice for DA, or some SA for that matter. Very light and crisp.

Guest oldgunnut
Tried the 250 today and the reset was very crisp and had a definite click. Maybe the ones they gave you guys had some trigger work done for the try out?

BTW the 250 felt very good and the trigger was way nice for DA, or some SA for that matter. Very light and crisp.

nsnate, thanks for checking on the trigger reset. The reason I posted the line, check it out for yourself, was because deep down I suspected the gun may have been worked on to impress us more. I could not believe that SIG would have such a sloppy reset on one of their guns. Because I was not able to get deep into the fire control module I couldnt tell you if it even had the trigger reset spring installed. I did not post my suspicions because that was all they were, suspicions. That could also be another reason why the 6# trigger felt like 3# to 3.5#.

Still hoping to get a T&E unit near the end of the year when the full size hits the market. Looks like we will be waiting to 1st guarter 2009 for the sub compact though.