If it aint broke, dont fix it......

Guest ArmaDeFuego

Guest ArmaDeFuego

OPD Recalls Hundreds Of Recently Issued Guns - News Story - KRXI Reno

I heard everyone at OPD was issued new Gen 4 Glock 22s then had to return them all & go back to their Gen 3s hahaha.

Why oh why did Glock try to "improve" their design with the new Gen 4s? If it works great leave it the hell alone! I was gonna get a Glock 19 Gen 4 but I rented one & put 50 rounds through it & got 2 or 3 FTEs. I was shocked. It was my first time ever shooting a Glock (& probably my last.)

Why didnt they just maybe fix up the outside a little bit with a new grip or something, but leave the inner workings & spring & everything the same since it proved so reliable on the Gen 3s??? :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest carter

What is there research and development team going to do? Tha'ts why they have changed...seems like every company in the world thinks they have to revise and make there product more desireable, when its already perfect...

Why did Glock try to "improve" their design? Simple, because gun-owners are like everyone else, they think new is better. That and they could not keep up with the competition who started including all kinds of extra gimmicks that people seem to need (for whatever reason).

Give me a Gen 2 any day.

I traded in aGeneration 2 G22 on a Generation 3 G23. I needed a smaller weapon for EDC. TheG22 had been a duty weapon and as I was no longer in an LEO position, I neededthe intermediate size for civilian carry. Point is that I put 1000s of rounds(lost count years ago)through the G22 and have put at least 2000 through the G23 with absolutely noproblems. Some designs in machineryreach their perfection of form . They just don't need"improvement". The 1911 and pre-lock S&W revolvers are goodexamples. The GLOCK didn't need "whistles and bells" or "SpaceAge Technology". In the Gen 2 and 3 Glock had attained it's form, any change hadto detract from that. I will undoubtedlypass on my Generation 3 G23 to one of my grandsons. I am sure as hell not goingto trade it in on any newer Glocks!

Glock made the decision to redesign due to the fact that the 40 Glocks were the most problematic in the line. Issues of some functionality problems when they were used with lights attached. Also Glock was not happy with the service life of the .40 Glocks in comparison to the rest of their guns. The high pressure load of the .40 was causing frame flex, most noticeable with the lights attached and the spring they felt needed redesign, not simply weight changed. Since LEA's made the G22/23 the most sold guns sold in the US. They catered to them. They also work changes in their total lines due to manufacturing simplicity. the grip changes were but a simple addition easy to make to satisfy competitive demands. However it wasn't the main reason for the change.

Unfortunately the G19 is now suffering from issues due to a gun being redesigned mainly for the G22/23. The opposite of the previous gens.They will get it worked out as they always do. As all good manufacturers do. That said I am happy with my G3 G19 and will seek another while they are still readily available. If Glock stops making them then G3's will likely go higher in price. Glock fans are notoriously aberrant to change and always gripe about every new gen and then they eventually a few yrs after they are introduced they buy them, and by the next gen they wail that there wasn't wrong with that one.

Some did, and THAT's the real reason Glock made changes. S&W is getiing into their wallets a little.

This. The only thing the Gen 4 needs to do away with is that stupid captive recoil spring. For some reason Glock couldn't get that right. It's not like they had horrible recoil to begin with.

This. The only thing the Gen 4 needs to do away with is that stupid captive recoil spring. For some reason Glock couldn't get that right. It's not like they had horrible recoil to begin with.

My Gen 4 G23 runs fine. I haven't put a lot through it yet, but it's been flawless. They need to fix the 19.

i sure i have told this story before, but a last years IDPA nationals the glock rep there "glocks do not malfunction, if there is a issue it is the ammo or the user" and on top of that he also said there was nothing wrong with the gen 4 it was all the ammo from the factories here in the states was/is out of spec. true story!

Garufa..........

If I had a 2nd Gen id give it to you.:)

As long as your giving away Gen 2's.....................

I am a Glock guy, mostly, AND mostly stick with the Gen 2's. I have literally never had any problems............

As with most products, eventually "new and improved" will bite you in the posterior.......

My Gen 4 G23 runs fine. I haven't put a lot through it yet, but it's been flawless. They need to fix the 19.

Just saying the issues they have had seem to be traced back to the new captive recoil spring. I'm sure it's not wide spreed, but those seem to be problematic when there is an issue.

i sure i have told this story before, but a last years IDPA nationals the glock rep there "glocks do not malfunction, if there is a issue it is the ammo or the user" and on top of that he also said there was nothing wrong with the gen 4 it was all the ammo from the factories here in the states was/is out of spec. true story!

That definitely sounds like a Glock guy talking!:)

Just saying the issues they have had seem to be traced back to the new captive recoil spring. I'm sure it's not wide spreed, but those seem to be problematic when there is an issue.

That's what I've read. The .40's seem to be fine, and the 9's don't like plinking ammo. Then, there's Glock's arrogance that complicates matters. I like the recoil spring on the .40. Takes some of the snap out of it.

That's what I've read. The .40's seem to be fine, and the 9's don't like plinking ammo. Then, there's Glock's arrogance that complicates matters. I like the recoil spring on the .40. Takes some of the snap out of it.

arrogance was/is a understatement.

They broke them with Gen 3 finger grooves in my opinion. That's why I still don't have a 17 or 19, 'cause haven't found a low mileage Gen 2.

- Oh "no, I don't have huge hands" Shoot

Your guns are fine. Anything else would just be a new toy.

Your guns are fine. Anything else would just be a new toy.

I know, I just always wanted to have one 9mm Glock so could diss it with credentials. :)

Hmm, guess I should get a Gen 4, then, come to think of it. Finger grooves and FTFs as a bonus!

- OS

I know, I just always wanted to have one 9mm Glock so could diss it with credentials. :)

Hmm, guess I should get a Gen 4, then, come to think of it. Finger grooves and FTFs as a bonus!

- OS

Didn't you shoot my Gen 4? I had the same attitude about Glocks, and the G4 23 wound up being one of my favorite pistols.