Stupid Question

As the title suggests, I know this is a stupid question, but I just got an email ad from Cheaper Than Dirt selling cheap Federal 5.56x45mm XM193 ammunition. I have never owned a rifle in the 556/223 realm until I bought SteelHarp's Mini14. I know the .223 and 5.56 are not exactly the same size. My question is will my Mini14 shoot this ammunition?

Edited by MikePapa1
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 5,56 chamber will have a longer throat than .223 will. I think pressures for .223 are in the 50,000 range while the 5,56 is upwards of 60,000. Don't quote me on that.

Anyway, firing a 5,56 in a .223 chamber with the shorter throat could cause pressures to spike even further. Personally, I think commercial ammo is going to be loaded down enough and Ruger firearms are built well enough that you shouldn't have any issues, but I cannot in clear conscience tell you everything would be okay.

Probably best to err on the side of caution and just leave it alone.

Per the Ruger manual, the mini14 Target model is .223 only. All other mini14's will handle either.

Huh, well there you go. The target model has a tighter match chamber I am assuming, and assuming you don't have the target model......light it up!

Here is a link to all the owner's manuals. They kinda beat around the bush about it but generally, yes you can shoot 5.56 out of a Mini-14. Make sure to check the manuals for your specific year or model.

Except the Target model as pointed out.

Ruger Instruction Manuals & Product History#

They put it on the product pages onsite now, too:

"5.56mm NATO/.223 Rem."

For example:

Ruger® Mini-14® Ranch Rifle Autoloading Rifle Models

And only the target show .223 only.

- OS

Huh, well there you go. The target model has a tighter match chamber I am assuming, and assuming you don't have the target model......light it up!

No, not "tighter" as in diameter, just shorter leade (throat) than 5.56.

A .223 can't be as accurate from a 5.56 chamber, at least mathematically speaking.

- OS

if does not say 5.56 or 223 wydle on the barrel i myself would not do it, and just stick something like pmc 223 for 290 per 1k. but thats me.

Sigh.

Mini 14 barrels aren't marked. They don't even have the lawyer statements on them.

How about from manuals? :

-------------

"Mini-14 (manufactured from 1974 to 1977):

Ammunition

The MINI-14 is designed to use either U.S. Military, Commercial Sporting, or other .223 (5.56mm) caliber ammunition manufactured to U.S. industry standards."

--------------

"Mini-14 (manufactured from 1978 to 2004)

AMMUNITION

The RUGER® MINI-14® RIFLES are chambered for the .223 Remington

(5.56mm) cartridge. The Mini-14 Rifle is designed to use either standardized U.S.

military, or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in

accordance with U.S. industry practice."

------------------------

"Mini-14 Ranch (manufactured from 1982 to 2004)

AMMUNITION

The RUGER® MINI-14® RANCH RIFLES are chambered for the .223

Remington (5.56mm) cartridge. The Ranch Rifle is designed to use either

standardiz (sic) U.S. military or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges

manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice."

----------------------

"Mini-14 Ranch Rifle (manufactured from 2005 to present)

AMMUNITION

The RUGER® MINI-14® RANCH RIFLES are offered in two calibers: the

.223 Remington (5.56mm) cartridge and the 6.8mm Remington SPC cartridge.

The Target Model uses .223 Remington cartridges only."

-----------------------

- OS

hmmm it is been a long since i had one but there should be a marking somewhere stateing the caliber, so how do you know if this 223, 6.8 or 7.62 x 39 yes i know the 7.62 x 39 is a mini 30, but seems like what caliber it is should be there somewhere

Ok, Mine's marked "CAL 223." With the serial number, 185-34xxx, I looked up the appropriate manual and it appears it will accept either 223 or 556, but in the abundance of caution I'll start with 223 and see how that works first.

Ok, Mine's marked "CAL 223." With the serial number, 185-34xxx, I looked up the appropriate manual and it appears it will accept either 223 or 556, but in the abundance of caution I'll start with 223 and see how that works first.

Mine is the latest generation, and is marked .223 as well. It's chambered for 5.56.

hmmm it is been a long since i had one but there should be a marking somewhere stateing the caliber, so how do you know if this 223, 6.8 or 7.62 x 39 yes i know the 7.62 x 39 is a mini 30, but seems like what caliber it is should be there somewhere

Man. Now you have me scared. I should probably stop using my 10/22 because the barrel doesn't have ANY caliber on it. /sarcasm

Not all guns have caliber on the barrel. Sounds like you have been around ARs for too long.

Markings are on the receiver, not barrel.

Far as I know, they all say .223, regardless of vintage.

Don't know if target model has any additional notation/warning.

- OS

Man. Now you have me scared. I should probably stop using my 10/22 because the barrel doesn't have ANY caliber on it. /sarcasm

Not all guns have caliber on the barrel. Sounds like you have been around ARs for too long.

wow where is the love!? i can not recall ever owning a bolt gun that did not have the caliber on the barrel. and a ruger mk II in 270 was my baby untill it was lost in a divorce.

• Admin Team
wow where is the love!? i can not recall ever owning a bolt gun that did not have the caliber on the barrel. and a ruger mk II in 270 was my baby untill it was lost in a divorce.

Wow! I'm pretty sure a woman who would take your gun would probably shoot you with it.

Plenty of love. I'm an endless supply of loving sarcastic *******dness.

Well, never one willing to leave doubt when it can be avoided, I called Sturm Ruger Customer Service and asked them. They assure me that all Mini14s except the target model will safely fire .223 or 5.56. I sent an order to Cheaper than Dirt for the 5.56.

Wow! I'm pretty sure a woman who would take your gun would probably shoot you with it.

nope just sold them for spite before i had a place to keep them.

that is a honest warning to all of you be sure to get guns out first to easy for a pissed woman sale cheap for cash.

Well, never one willing to leave doubt when it can be avoided, I called Sturm Ruger Customer Service and asked them. They assure me that all Mini14s except the target model will safely fire .223 or 5.56. I sent an order to Cheaper than Dirt for the 5.56.

I'm crushed that you couldn't accept the learned counsel of the TGO consensus. :wall:

- OS