1st day of carry have a question?

Guest m7cjk

Guest m7cjk

Did you all on your first day seem to feel for it tug at your shirt, pretty much could not focus on what you should really be doing?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feels odd to be "allowed" to carry at first, huh? All those years of being socially trained to think of carrying a gun in public as being wrong are hard to undo. The paranoia is like showing up at a party uninvited, but it does fade.

I don't know when it happened, but at some point reaching and feeling for it when it's *NOT* there took the place of the other. Now, when I am at work & can't carry normally, I feel naked & vulnerable.

Does it ever go away? 12 years and counting and I still give the shirt a tug at regular intervals. Only difference, you quit thinking about it. Till you brought it up, i hadn't thought about it in quite a while. If it becomes a problem, wear bigger t's. Or just do like I do and become a slipshod dresser. My fashion sense is bound only by what I can reach the easiest when I open closet door. The wife and will be married 9 years in August. We've decided to die together so what I care anymore.

When fashion is no longer a restraint upon you, you can conceal anything.

In all seriousness, stepping up your t shirt size is a concealed carry necessity.

Edited by Caster

Yeah, the first few times I carried, I felt like I was wearing a bright red shirt that said "I have a gun!" Now, I have to remember to keep my shirt pulled down to keep it concealed.

I think most people are completely oblivious to their surroundings, and won't even notice that bulge in your waist band / pocket. My gun (G22 IWB) has been uncovered by accident a few times in public, and no one even noticed.

Guest friesepferd

still tug at my shirt when i stand up, get out of the car, etc but my carry setup doesnt require me to check my shirt when im walking around.. i can easily see / feal if it is where it should be.

as far as just the paranoia aspect of it... that will go away in time

I'm busting out laughing b/c I'm remembering my first trip to Wally World and I walked out the door with only two of the five items I was supposed to get, I was so distracted/worried.....ditto to others' sentiments about it fading with time, but still do a "check" to make sure concealed.:(

Yeah, the first few times I carried, I felt like I was wearing a bright red shirt that said "I have a gun!" Now, I have to remember to keep my shirt pulled down to keep it concealed.

I think most people are completely oblivious to their surroundings, and won't even notice that bulge in your waist band / pocket. My gun (G22 IWB) has been uncovered by accident a few times in public, and no one even noticed.

not trying to hijack the thread but what holster/position are you carrying your G22. I'm having trouble keeping mine concealed. I usually OC but there is always the time and need to conceal. I have a blackhawk IWB but its still printing pretty bad.

On topic, I have not had my permit but for maybe three weeks. I can say im really getting used to the idea that I have a gun. Im not checkin and triple checking store front for posted signs anymore lol

Guest boatme99

Yes. Also hitching up your pants when you get out of the car, standing with your "off"side towards people, nudging the butt with your wrist or forearm to adjust periodically and other minor affectations. Don't worry about it. The longer you carry, the less you will do these.

The most immediate problem will be the scraped skin and big bruise you're going to be carrying until your skin toughens up!

Guest m7cjk

Went to Olive Garden tonight man that is all i thought about tugging at my shirt the whold time my back was to most people so i was wondering if they saw it, The family must have thought i was in another world, at lowes today i caught myself with my hands in my pocket on the carry side to try and cover it alittle

I sure hope i dont think about it as much in the future i did not get anything done today

Hey, Don't forget the dull thump of a kids head as they run into you. Had that happen at a Kmart once. A kid rounded an aisle full speed only to take my right hip head on. He never said a word just a muffled thump and he walked, not ran, walked away. Be mindful of where you are and what you are doing, even more so now than before.

Guest friesepferd
not trying to hijack the thread but what holster/position are you carrying your G22. I'm having trouble keeping mine concealed. I usually OC but there is always the time and need to conceal. I have a blackhawk IWB but its still printing pretty bad.

On topic, I have not had my permit but for maybe three weeks. I can say im really getting used to the idea that I have a gun. Im not checkin and triple checking store front for posted signs anymore lol

IMO, something like a blackhawk IWB isn't really the way to go for CC. You really need a good holster that will suck the gun on in- check out the mtac, the supertuck, or the king tuk. they are the way to go IMO. Also you very likely have to take a look at your clothing.

As far as position.. the "best spot" is different for everyone. Plenty of people carry at 4:00. I found that the best for me was actually just a smidge forward of 3:00

• Administrator

I honestly cannot remember the last time I seriously heard someone suggest a Galco holster as being a viable option for discrete carry. There are so many better options out there that I can't believe Galco is even still in business. :)

FIRST... Being a little self-conscious at first is normal but you need to get over it quickly. Your nervousness and constant fiddling around with the gun, holster, your shirt, etc are what will give you away long before anyone notices a slight lump beneath your shirt. If you're concerned that your shirt is too tight, wear a looser shirt. You will have to make some adjustments in your attire from time to time.

SECOND... There is no such thing as a one-size fits all carry solution. If you intend to carry everywhere you are legally allowed and want to make sure that no one sees it, you will be investing in a pocket gun of some sort down the road. There simply will be times that only a pocket gun makes sense.

THIRD... You spent anywhere from $300-1000 on a handgun for carry. Don't be cheap when it comes to holsters or belts. Buy a purpose-built belt meant for supporting the weight of a firearm and holster. Gun Belts by The Belt Man is highly recommended by me and many others. I've been using his belts for nearly 8 years and they are the only belts I will buy now.

As for holsters, I am a longtime fan of the Comp-Tac MTAC holster but recently have become an even larger fan of the Occidental Leather Company's Stronghold Phoenix IWB holsters. If you change guns as often as you change underwear, go with the MTAC and save yourself some money. If you've settled on a gun that you believe you will keep and carry for some time, get the Stronghold Phoenix.

FOURTH... Realize that as long as you are carrying where you are legally allowed, who gives a rat's ass if someone else notices your gun "printing" or your shirt slips up over the grip slightly and exposes it. You're legal so everyone else can go F-themselves. Once you have that squarely in mind, you can start relaxing and relaxing is going to help you with the first point above.

Good luck. And stop f'ing with your gun when you're carrying.

Guest XD9GUY

I think TGO David hit the nail on the head in his fourth item. Although sometimes I carry my KAHR CW9 on my hip, many times I just stick it in my front pocket in a Pocket holster. Depending on the pants I wear, the butt may show at the top of my pocket at times. Who cares? I'm legally authorized to carry, so it doesn't matter. I found that the more I did carry, the less I thought about it. Also I noticed that no one else noticed. I mean think about it, when you go out are you always looking at someone’s clothes to see if they are carrying. I bet you don't. Like anything else, the more you do it the less you will be conscious of it.

Hey, Don't forget the dull thump of a kids head as they run into you. Had that happen at a Kmart once. A kid rounded an aisle full speed only to take my right hip head on. He never said a word just a muffled thump and he walked, not ran, walked away. Be mindful of where you are and what you are doing, even more so now than before.

Had to laugh at this one as I had this happen to me at a local store. A little boy was acting up, not obeying his mother and running up and down the aisles. He smacked into to my side and his head hit my gun. He frowned and went back to her side and kept rubbing his head and looking down at his shoes. He chilled out after that.

Had to laugh at this one as I had this happen to me at a local store. A little boy was acting up, not obeying his mother and running up and down the aisles. He smacked into to my side and his head hit my gun. He frowned and went back to her side and kept rubbing his head and looking down at his shoes. He chilled out after that.

That was the day I vowed to never carry a Glock, What if it had shot both our asses off?:eek:

J/K I know better, but it makes you think.

....but recently have become an even larger fan of the Occidental Leather Company's Stronghold Phoenix IWB holsters....

Yep, I've recommended them also, since they are designed by Tim Thurner (ttgunleather.com) and immediately available, rather than a 6 month wait for him to make one. Though I haven't had one in my hands, all the reports are good, and Tim sells them through his own site, and surely he wouldn't allow anything but the best.

- OS