I'm close to making a judgement call.....

Caster

Love the XD's. NEVER, NOT ONE issue with them for reliability, comfort and ease of care. BUT, my XD45 is slowly losing my favor. I've tried 4 or five different factory loads AND have been toying with a cast load for the last 3 years. I just can't get accurate with it. I'm eating my foot with a side order of crow here for all the XD bragging I have done over the years. It's not the gun per se, I can bench rest it and it groups tight. I replaced the factory sights with a set of Tru Dot. No change. Rested, it groups well. Just me and my hands...nada. My XD 9 and I do not have this problem, and it still has factory sights [and they suck!] I can hit clay targets at 25 yards all day long until I get bored and go home with my XD 9. I love the .45ACP cartridge, I really do. I carry a Taurus PT145 everyday. But I am thinking since it's not the gun, and I don't have the same problem with a DIFFERENT gun, it's just an unholy union and it may be time part ways. I've always preferred the 45 over the 9mm but what good is the bigger cartridge that doesn't hit the mark? It's worthless that what. Thinking seriously about just trading it in on another XD9 and putting the bulk of my focus on 9x19. I have enough 45 loaded to last two lifetimes if only to feed the little taurus.

Penny for your thoughts.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The info here is a bit confusing... do your cast handloads group well from a bench, IE are you using the same ammo for all this? If so, have you had someone watch you shoot to see if you are doing anything odd, or filmed yourself? Can you shoot the taurus 45 well? Do your misses group up but far off point of aim, or are they all over the place? Do you want to try to figure it out, or have you reached the sell it point already?

It may be worth it to figure out what is happening -- which may lead to something that you are doing that can be corrected to improve your shooting with every gun. Or not, as you are shooting great with other guns, but its a thought. Only you can say when enough is enough and when to sell it, but IMHO its worth a number of range trips (which you may have already done) to at least figure out the issue (then decide to keep or sell).

Yes the my handloads group very tight from a rest. 230g cast RN over AA #5. They group [from a rest] tighter than factory loads. No problems with the Taurus [same loads] My misses do not group at all. Sporadic, all over the map like some shaky kneed greenhorn. Never had anyone watch me, I don't usually play with the other kids on the playground:p Yeah!, I'd like to sort out the problem, but at the same time, I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. The problem doesn't exist elsewhere.

It's interesting to note, I had the same problem with a Ruger MkIII a while back. I could NOT hit ANYTHING with it. Bought it brand new, bull barrel SS model. Sold it to a buddy who could make a can dance all day with it. I can do the same with my cheapie Rough Rider.

Slept on it last night and I think the my biggest problem is the Idea of getting rid of it. See, I've gone through a major purge and caliber consolidation in the last few months. If I get rid of the XD45 and get another 9, I will only have the little Taurus and I don't shoot it much. Just enough to stay in touch with it because I do carry it. I'm not sure I like cutting 45 from my roster, but I am close to doing it. If I get rid of the XD, I'll probably quit carrying the Taurus too and just put it in the safe [never sell that one, wife and mother in law bought that for me before we were married] and go back to carrying my SP101. I can drill the eyes out of a mouse with that sucker. If I ever stop using 45, I can all but guarantee I'll never go back to it. I've lost interest in collecting guns for the most part, I only want to be skilled with what I have. I'd rather spend my time and money to further my ability with what I have than to broaden my selection.

Guest PapaB

caster said

I carry a Taurus PT145 everyday.

How do you shoot with the Taurus? Do you have the problem with all 45 cal guns you've tried or just the XD?

If it's the same with all the 45's you've tried, stop using that caliber, it doesn't work for you. If it's only the XD's, find a different brand and fall in love all over again.

Good luck on your quest either way.

Edited by PapaB
sp.
caster said

How do you shoot with the Taurus? Do you have the problem with all 45 cal guns you've tried or just the XD?

If it's the same with all the 45's you've tried, stop using that caliber, it doesn't work for you. If it's only the XD's, find a different brand and fall in love all over again.

Good luck on your quest either way.

I'm satisfied with the PT, but you may be right. It may just be the caliber. The XD is the only 45 [other than the PT] that I have liked so far. I've shot the M&P, it was fair. Didn't like the Glock. Had about 4 different 1911's :censored: They were VERY accurate, and I could hit with them with ease, but I hated 'em.

Anyone got a Flat Dark Earth XD9? :D

Hmm.

Not related to your problem but if you carry the taurus, can shoot it well, and like the 45 platform, then that gun should be a keeper and your carry gun. I see no reason to downsize it to a 9mm to carry, I guess I do not see your logic. You have it, you will not sell it, you already carry it and are a good shot with it, sounds like a winner to me! As long as you have it, 45 will be one of your calibers and you can shoot this one instead at the range (better to shoot the one you carry anyway). You are not going to hurt it by shooting it, thats what it is for, and if you are worred about wearing out a gift, get another one (trade the xd for it?) or, think of it this way: what better way to honor a gift than to wear it out? I would much rather give someone a gun and have them shoot it to death than poke it in a safe and never use it.

Back to your problem, I don't know what to say from there. I personally would insist on finding the problem, but that is just me -- it would drive me nuts to sell it without understanding the why. If it does not bother you and you have had enough, trade it in for another taurus or a different 45. If you like the 45 caliber, stick with it; without opening up the caliber war crap again I will just say the 45 has been proven to be quite effective. If you do decide to resolve the problem, getting someone who can shoot well to watch may be the fastest way to figure it out. If the shots are all over the place, I would (dont laugh) tape/tie-wrap/etc a laser pointer on the gun and then aim it and watch the light... or buy one of the ones that fits in the chamber for sighting purposes or borrow one. Its not a heavy gun, but is something about the grip etc making you "wobble" excessively?

Edit: you have tried a lot of them.... maybe try a para LDA? I liked the way that gun feels, and as I HATE DAO guns, that is saying something!

Edited by Jonnin
Guest friesepferd

well it sounds like you dont have a problem with the XD, and you dont have a problem with the 45, you just have a problem with the xd45.

what to do? switch to something else. plain and simple. everyone shoots every gun different. its all about finding what works best for you.

Guest PapaB
I'm satisfied with the PT, but you may be right. It may just be the caliber. The XD is the only 45 [other than the PT] that I have liked so far. I've shot the M&P, it was fair. Didn't like the Glock. Had about 4 different 1911's :censored: They were VERY accurate, and I could hit with them with ease, but I hated 'em.

Anyone got a Flat Dark Earth XD9? :D

Actually, your statement shows it isn't the caliber.

I'm with friesepferd on this one, it's not the XD or the 45, it's the xd45 combo.

Keep carrying the Taurus, it's effective and you shoot it well. Keep searching for another love, the journey is half the fun.

Rested, it groups well. Just me and my hands...nada.
'tain't no doubt about it...you're doin' somethin' wrong. I used to have a small frame TC Contender in 30/30 with a 12" barrel and the original wood grips. I loved it and I shot well with it...however, everytime I squeezed the trigger the recoil gave me a bloodblister. Over a few months I found I was flinching and traded it off.

I flip flop between 9mm and 45acp all the time. I love my old XD-45 and my 1911 but my carry guns are Glock 19 and Glock 36 (Plus a Chief's Special). Sometimes I go back to carrying my Glock 19 because I can get faster, more accurate second shoots than my Glock 36. Then I'll change my mind and go back to the 45acp. I have a XDm-40 that I hardly ever shoot (No reason).

Judgement passed. All my 45's with the exception of my Taurus [Wife bought it for me before we married] are now gone. As soon as they sell [consignment] I'll likely buy another 9mm.

Since I first got into pistols about 13 years ago, I was the biggest supporter of 45's. I have come to this now, and my reason is undeniable. A 9mm on target beats a 45 that misses the target, ANY day. I can't say I am totally happy with it, but I'm tired of wasting money and time feeding a dog that doesn't hunt when my other "dog" will not only hunt, but eats less too.

I can almost cast 2 9mm bullets for one 45. Not as much difference in powder but it does show up eventually. My Xd is 18+1 and that is a lot of dead zombies.

I will lament it for a while. Sometimes the right decision is a painful one.

A couple of years ago after switching carry guns I searched for several months and shot numerous makes and calibers. I have guns in 9, 40and 45. I just kept coming back to the 9. I have put more 9 and 45 down range than anything else, and am most comfortable with the 9. I like and enjoy training with it. I did not like training with the 40. After one 3 day period of a training course shooting about 1k rounds, I decided I just could not grown to like the 40. It is cheaper and I shoot it as well as I do anything. The 9 defense loads are sufficient and I trust them as well as I trust any defensive pistol round. Make your change and train with it and enjoy your gun.