Chrome or non-chrome lined barrels?

Guest GunTroll

I would stay away from a 7 twist barrel. I would go with a 9 twist barrel.

The reason is a 7 twist barrel over stabilizes the bullet preventing it from tumbling on impact. Then you have to rely on bullet design to cause it to disrupt. And with FMJ odds are it will not, especially with the heavier bullets that the 7 twist is supposed to shoot.

Mehh, I love my 1/7 spikes barrel. handloaded 75g HPBT running close to 3K Tumble not really needed.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mehh, I love my 1/7 spikes barrel. handloaded 75g HPBT running close to 3K Tumble not really needed.

You need a little faster than 1/9 for 75g. For curiosity sake, I may send a few of my 77gr SMK's thru one of my 1/9's and see if I can make a keyhole. I'm betting they don't.

Guest GunTroll

I'm going to go with a 1-9. Mainly because they are available and within my budget.

I will probably never shoot anything over 62 ish grain anyhow. Maybe up to 70 but this isn't my small hole grouping gun.

I'm going to go with a 1-9. Mainly because they are available and within my budget.

I will probably never shoot anything over 62 ish grain anyhow. Maybe up to 70 but this isn't my small hole grouping gun.

Yep, my small hole one is a 1/8 twist, 24" stainless bull. It will handle anything that will fit in an AR mag. The carbines are 1/9. So is my Mini 14.

Guest 556or762

I do love my LWRC M6A2 in a 1/7 twist it works great with 62gr bullets, as for the tunble on impact that kinda only matters if you plan on hunting or battle field use. I have a couple of 1/9 barrels too one is chrome the other not I wish I had got the chrome. I saw a post about shooting Wolf, well I have been shooting thru all of my 5.56 guns and had no issues yet of any kind and my cleaning consist of a bore snake between range sessions and a real cleaning when I get ready.

Guest adamoxtwo

If time is money you will make it back with the chrome. A lot less time cleaning and no need to spend money on expensive ammo. Therefore, you will see a return on the extra money relatively soon and won't even know it. And if you want to sell the Rifle some people will appreciate the chrome lining and will pay you an extra $20-30 for that on there.

I like the 1/9 Twist myself. However, I'm just punching paper and maybe a deer or two here or there if the opportunity presents itself and when I do I would prefer less tumbling. Just my opinion....oh yeah post pics when you complete it. Always fun to see the finished product!!