Dedicated 22 AR platforms

Capbyrd

So is anyone else out there dumb enough to build or buy one these things? And I'm not talking about the HK416 or M&P15-22. I'm only talking about real AR's with a dedicated upper.

Here is mine.

Surplus Ammo & Arms stripped lower

Palmetto State Armory LPK

Bill Springfield Trigger job

Magpul MIAD OD Green

Magpul PRS OD Green

Brownells A1 receiver extension

CMMG 18 LEP upper with stainless steel upgrade, forward assist upgrade, bolt hold open upgrade, and stainless collar

f9a61d34.jpg

I'm still waiting on a few parts. The scope and mount will be here tomorrow.

Vortex Diamondback Rimfire 2-7x 35mm

Burris PEPR

And I'm waiting on Magpul to start shipping the rifle length MOE handguards.

So what about it? Any of you other guys dumb enough to spend that much money on a 22?

And please don't post your .223 and say "its a 22 with a 3 on the end."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, but I was dumb enough to buy the cmmg conversion bolt. Loved it until it sprayed powder back into my face several times and fired one .22 round that was halfway chambered...sold it for much less than I had in it.

Had a Sig 522, sold it.

The smart thing would have been a dedicated upper to start with....

That rifle looks like tons of fun.

Capbyrd, I will say that what you have is smart. You'll likely have less issues with a dedicated upper. Looks nice and I agree, the MOE guards will certainly ice the cake.

As for me though, I just can't get into the 22 rimfire thing. It's not a macho "gotta have a super gun" kinda crap, I just can't get myself to like them. I don't know. I grw up on 22's like most everyone else, but at 18 I bought my first gun on my own; a 303 british. There was no going back for me. I don't get it, so don't ya'll preach to me. .22s are quiet, super accurate (within their range) and super cheap. What's not to like?

So how do you like the magpul stock? I'm a magpul nut.

Yeah the stock is great.

I've always been into 22s. I love cheap 22s. They just are cool to me. Plus, with most of my 22s, I can own 5 or 6 for the price of one 9mm or 308. That means I can take more people shooting with me and get more people involved in my sport.

• Admin Team

tacticalsol.com - Tactical Solutions

Great uppers. I had one of the originals they made. Had the occasional hiccup that I attributed to cheap bulk ammo - maybe a misfire or two every other magazine. Called the company to see if they had a reccommended bulk pack (I have an issue with any .22 that will only eat mini-mags), and they did - cheap Federal from Wal-Mart. That said, their president himself called me back, mentioned that they had changed some of the design in the couple of years since I had my upper, and asked for my address. Two days later, they sent one of the new receiver groups with a note saying thank you for being a customer, and that I would find this more reliable. Further, the note stated that if I still had any issues, to send the weapon, with my lower to them, and they would guarantee that it would run in top condition.

Needless to say, I've been a customer since. Their Pac-Lite uppers for the MkII/MkIII series are unrivaled.

TacSol, CMMG, Model1, and ATI are the only ones that I know of making dedicated uppers. There are probably a few more but those are definitely the most common.

I chose the CMMG based on previous product experience (and having dealt with their customer service) and the fact that I have a bolt hold open and a forward assist. I also don't think any of the others offer an 18 in barrel.

To my knowledge, all of the ones listed above only make 16 inch uppers except CMMG which has them in 18 and 20 inch flavors as well.

• 6 months later...

I hope to have some luck with the CMMG bolt replacement conversion. I want my lightweight AR with its 1:9 twist barrel to work with Aguila 60grain ammo. If not I got a Tactical Innovations threaded 1:9 twist barrel installed on one of my 10/22s for the 60grain SSS.

I am pretty certain that one of my two lowers will evolve into a dedicated .22LR AR, is there anything other than the upper (and mags) that I need to worry about?

I think I will grab the CMMG upper that PSA has for $350 and feeds from BDM mags. I intend for it to mainly mimic the other rifle I am building.

22 AR's are just as addictive, maybe even more so, that regular 5.56 AR's. You can fire them more places and they can be just as accurate not to mention much cheaper to shoot. And with a dedicated 22 you don't have all the reliability issues you do with a conversion kit. The reason is there isn't a constant dumping of crude down the gas tube.

I will say that my build using a CMMG barrel is very accurate.

Dolomite