Tennessee and N.I.C.S. background check

Guest Legally Armed

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as we're talking about the way it should be...

I don't think that permits should be necessary at all, anyways... it creates the same separation from 'normal folks' rights as the idea that only law-enforcement should carry weapons.

Sure, run a bg check on retail firearms... It's not a huge hassle for anybody who doesn't have a blemished record, and as long as it doesn't link a serial-number to an individual in a BATFE database, it's not 'registration'. It is pretty much universally accepted that since plenty of convicted felons are deemed by the authorities to be worthy of being allowed to walk among us, there needs to be some way to verify that they can't buy firearms legitimately. If felons actually served their time, and were disallowed reentry into society until their debt was paid and their record expunged, there wouldn't be a need for 'background checks', either... they certainly don't reduce crime, they simply indicate it.

Guest rockytop

This is more about revenue collecting than preventing felons and domestic violence applicants buying a gun. If the State kept the proper records updated, a convicted purchaser's permit should have been canceled and confiscated before he had the opportunity to purchase a gun. If it wasn't about revenue collections and they felt they needed to re-check everyone, they could run the background check from your HCP at NO CHARGE to the purchaser. After all, the HCP background check is supposed to be much more thorough than a gun purchase.

First I agree that we shouldn't need a permit to carry.

On the other, it seems like I was told once that it had something to do with how often background checks are run on HCP holders as to why a HCP is not enough to be able to purchase a weapon.

I don't think they check you till your renew which of course is 4 years from the last check......guess they figure a lot of stuff could have happned in that time. Of course if things worked as they are supposed to, you wouldn't have a HCP for very long after any of those things that would should up on a background check.

What you and I think isn't very important to the great state of Tennessee. You have to show them $$$$$$$. Extraction of money from your wallet is the driving force of the Legislature.

Yup,I'm sure that "$250,000" salary just wont pay itself :eek:

Guest REDDOG79

Last week when i purchased my new Kimber another man went to purchase a handgun and was told that his HCP was not allowed to be used as identification for the purchase that he had to use his driver's license. My question is what is the difference? Both are state issued ID cards and the HCP has a stricter criteria to obtain.

Last week when i purchased my new Kimber another man went to purchase a handgun and was told that his HCP was not allowed to be used as identification for the purchase that he had to use his driver's license. My question is what is the difference? Both are state issued ID cards and the HCP has a stricter criteria to obtain.

Dont know.I have used my HCP as id when buying.They both have the same numbers.

Your DL and HCP are basically the same thing as far as info and the database. As strickj said, they have the same number. That is because when an officer checks the status of your HCP is actually done through the DL database.

I'm not sure if any of you listen to the police on scanners, but if you do, you'll notice many times when the officer runs a DL check on driver the dispatcher will say "No gun permit" if the don't have one. That is because it is actually just one more field that comes up on the screen when a DL is checked.

Now all of that being said, it sounds like the gun store owner just prefers DL's for whatever reason.

Guest atomemphis

Seems like they should do away with seperate cards.

My "motorcycle" driver's license is not seperate. Its an "M" indication on my DL. Next to the "D" we all have, is an "M", so it reads "DM" now.

I think it should say "DMP" or some variation. If they want to keep the system. Shoot, it'd cut down on the amount PVC used.

Seems like they should do away with seperate cards.

My "motorcycle" driver's license is not seperate. Its an "M" indication on my DL. Next to the "D" we all have, is an "M", so it reads "DM" now.

I think it should say "DMP" or some variation. If they want to keep the system. Shoot, it'd cut down on the amount PVC used.

Of course we're getting a little of track from the topic (felt I should say that as a new moderator...lol) But some states do just that, a carry permit is simply endorsement on your DL.

Of course DL's are renewed every 5 years and HCP's every 4, so over 20 years I only renew my DL 3 times and my HCP 4. I'm sure someone would do the math of lossing $115 per HCP holder once every 20 years and the state would say it wold cost too much despite the money saved on printing two different licenses....oh well.

that he had to use his driver's license.

What would a person use if they had no drivers license? The HCP is a state issued ID card. No reason it should not be acceptable as ID. The purchaser was probably showing off anyway. I treat is as a need to know basis when presenting an ID for whatever reason.

What would a person use if they had no drivers license? The HCP is a state issued ID card. No reason it should not be acceptable as ID. The purchaser was probably showing off anyway. I treat is as a need to know basis when presenting an ID for whatever reason.

Funny you should mention that, because On-Target didn't return my DL when I paid afterwards (they held it while I used a lane), this past weekend. Now I'm waiting for them to mail it back to me... I've used my HCP as ID twice since then (once for the 4473 last night, and once to buy some beers). I'm not anxious to find out if cross-referencing the number will satisfy an LEO during a traffic-stop, if it comes back valid... but it would be just my luck if I actually got pulled over after all these years.

I'm not anxious to find out if cross-referencing the number will satisfy an LEO during a traffic-stop, if it comes back valid... but it would be just my luck if I actually got pulled over after all these years.

True because with the one number, either reading it from you DL or your HCP the officer could tell if either was valid. But the law says you are supposed to have your DL in your possession when you drive and your HCP in your possession when you carry. Just depends on how the LEO wanted to play it.