Glock 23 vs Sig 229 vs Sig 226

Guest forte10

Guest forte10

I need a new EDC and been looking at these three guns. The Glock would be be new, but the others are used. All are right around $450-500 so all things there are equal. What specifically sets the three apart from each other? Is there one big advantage of one over the other two with the calibers all being the same?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No big advantage of any over the other. The biggest differences are between the grips of the Sigs compared to the Glock and the Glock cocking and shooting trigger compared to the Sig DA/SA config. I prefer every shot to have the same trigger personally and I like the Glock grip better for having a high hold on the pistol. the bore sight radius on the Glock is as low as it gets and is IMO easier to fire rapidly accurately with less muzzle rise. Thus making the pistol easier to master. But that is my personal preference. Some like to have the Sig decocker and a longer first pull. I am assuming her they are standard config DA/SA

I will also note that I carried a Sig 228 for many years and next to the HK P7M8 I carried it longer than any other pistol. I switched to Glock because I shoot it better and quicker than I ever did my Sig. As far as dependability I have never had a problem with any of my Glocks and I never had any problem with my Sig. And both brands were taken through the ringer by me.

As far as the difference in the Sigs, I seem to recall the 226 to be lighter because the difference in the slides being of different materials. It really would depend on condition of each respective pistol you are looking at and if it were me and the other things were equal, if the 226 was an old German made one I would probably buy that one, or vice versa. f there is any way you can do so, shoot a similar Glock and a Sig 226 or 229.

Edited by Warbird

I'm the exact same as warbird except swap the glock and the sig. I can shoot a glock but I almost always get bitten by the slide. I think they are great guns. Sigs just fit my hand better. The shoot much more comfortably to me.

Partly because of I've trained the most with it but I like the da/sa trigger. I want it to be a little harder to pull in a surprise situation...

Here is where I get a little contrary: I carry a g33 almost every day. The subcompacts fit well in my hand. I think it is because I can drop my bottom fingers under the grip which changes the angle slightly. Don't know if that is valid but it seems like a possibility

In the interest of broadening my experience level a bit I bought a m&p9 to train with. It fits my hand well and is letting me practice a 2nd trigger type. I still dry fire my sigs a lot to maintain muscle memory but I feel like I'm coming along decently in learning the new trigger.

One more thing, I haven't tried a 4th gen glock yet to see if the backstraps make a difference. I hope so as I would like to add a couple of blocks to the collection.

Mark

Edited by Mark A

Well, I didn't mean to type blocks at the end but I can't seem to get to the bottom of my post to edit it on the iPad. It has quirks like that sometimes. I might need to use tapatalk for this forum.

Mark

I forgot to add that I find the Glock 19, which I carry a 26 more often than the 19, conceals better than the Sig. The Sig has a longer grip which is one reason it has nice ergos. But, it is harder to conceal from my experience.

Guest gw2and4

I've shot all 3 options you mention and currently own both Glock and Sig pistols. I'd have to say you can't go wrong with any of those options. Sigs shoot better to me, but they're nearly twice the price of Glocks so no surprise there...

I've carried a 23 since 1995 and keep going back to it day after day over the Sig because it feels thinner and lighter to me. I hadn't carried my Sig in a good while and wore it all day this past Saturday. By 3:00pm, I was thinking to myself "now I remember why I don't wear this thing every day--it's heavy!" So for me, weight is a factor since I have lower back trouble and an 8-10 oz weight difference matters now that I ain't 25 anymore...

Good luck with your search.

Guest 10mm4me

The question is do you prefer the DA/SA of the Sig or the consistent trigger of the Glock. It is 2 different systems. Also, the Glock is a bit lighter and will definitely be easier to carry. Get what you like and shoot best.

The question is do you prefer the DA/SA of the Sig or the consistent trigger of the Glock. It is 2 different systems. Also, the Glock is a bit lighter and will definitely be easier to carry. Get what you like and shoot best.

This says a lot. Weight. Consistant trigger. Any questions?

BTW, I own both Glocks and Sigs. I personally like them both, but as several have mentioned, the bulk and weight of the Sig does tend to tell on me after a few hours.

Guest nysos

I am in the market for a g19 or g23 for some of the very reasons mentioned. Lighter than my 229, if I ever have to use it/stressful situation - its going to be the same trigger pull every single time. I shoot my sig just fine, but the glock just seems easier to shoot. Both fit my hand well, but the glock doesn't feel nearly as large. The grip is the perfect size for my hands. The low bore axis on it makes follow up shots ridiculously quick/easy in comparison to my sig.

I doubt I will ever get rid of my sig, its a great gun, but it may be reserved for nightstand duty and some polymer may get carried on a daily basis.

Guest The Highlander

I own and carry both Glocks and SIG's. My favorite SIG is a 220 in .45 ACP. I don't recall the exact sizes of the 226 and 229 in relation, but I believe they are smaller and lighter than my 220. But still larger and heavier than the Glock 17/22/31 series.

My 220 is an absolute tack-driver with even plinking ammo. My G17 is not quite as accurate, but unless you are shooting bullseye, not enough difference to matter.

I carry the Glock more than the SIG, and I shoot it more as well. I've never had a malfunction with either brand in many years of shooting them. I consider them to be two of the top manufacturers as well.

Honestly, you need to make the choice based on which fits your hand best, which you can shoot the best. Price is secondary. All three are great guns. As someone else said, if the SIG happened to be an older W. German gun for $450-500, I might go that way...good deal.

Guest rebeldrummer

I have never owned, let alone shot a sig....so no opinion.

As for the Glocks, I have shot the 26,19,17....and the 27, 23......

I carried the G23 the longest....great gun. As a matter of fact, I am in the market for amother.

The G27, which I carry now is a good piece as well. I also have the 9mm conversion kit, so I won't be going for a G26 anytime soon.

You can't do wrong with any Glock, IMHO.

Guest forte10

I ended up going with the Glock 23 as just the overall weight of it proved to be the big deciding factor. After placing both in a holster it was quickly apparent that I would enjoy the lighter weight for everyday carry. I really enjoyed the crisper trigger on the glock, but the DA/SA was a promising option too. If going to get a Sig I will likely look to picking up a Sig Pro 2022 or wait for another P6 to surface in the BST section. Haven't made it out to the range, but looking forward to it.