Legal question about handguns

Alright i can't seem to find a law that says someone under the age of 21 can't own a handgun, I'm 19 and live out on my own in a kinda bad neighborhood and i would like to buy a handgun in a private sale but I'm really not sure if thats legal for me or not, i already own an old revolver and no ones ever refused to sell something to me but i don't want to get anyone in trouble if i try to buy a handgun from someone on here.

Thanks if you can clear this up.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

It has always been my impression that one could buy and own a handgun at 18 but just could not get a carry permit until they were 21.

I am not an expert, a lawyer and I am even not that smart so I do hope someone else clarifies this for you.

Well that was my thought as well, I already own an old revolver but its pretty useless for anything cause its in .32 s&w short and I can't find ammo for it, I plan to just keep a handgun by the bed and not leave the house with it

You can buy handgun or rifle at 18 through private sale in TN. Actually you can be given one at any age. (TN law)

You can't buy a long gun from an FFL until you are 18, or a handgun from FFL until you are 21 (federal law).

- OS

Private sale is 18 for rifle, pistol or shotgun. FFL sale is 18 for rifle/shotgun and 21 for handgun. Also HCP holders must be 21 to apply.

I would also do a bill of sale if it is face to face.

Also ages apply for buying ammo for same at stores, I believe.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Also ages apply for buying ammo for same at stores, I believe.

Yeah, that's going to be your bigger problem. Most places will not sell you pistol ammo without proof that you're 21. You're not always carded (or maybe I just look old, I dunno), but you could definitely run into some problems on that front.

Plus you're going to want/need to practice, and a lot of ranges won't let you shoot by yourself if you're not 21...

I tried to take my younger brother (19) to the range with me today and got turned back around at two different locations. If you, or someone you know owns some land you can shoot on then you will be fine. Even if you do find ammo that is used as rifle ammo most stores still will not sell you the ammo because it also can be used for handguns. I'd say unless you know someone thats 21 you wont get any.

I go to a range in reliance that has no age requirements or people running it for that matter so that's no problem, I will either have a friend buy ammo for me or go to a local privatly owned shop and see if they have a problem selling to me, I've never been asked to show ID when I buy ammo, even at walmart.

Guest 270win

You can possess a handgun at 18 in most states. In some states, like Mississippi, you can even keep it loaded in your car at 18 without a license. You can also usually buy or sale your handgun in a private sale. The tougher part will be buying handgun ammo from places like Wal Mart. You can take your handgun unloaded to the range or to a place to hunt with it if you have a hunting license and the handgun is legal hunting tackle.

You can buy handgun or rifle at 18 through private sale in TN. Actually you can be given one at any age. (TN law)

You can't buy a long gun from an FFL until you are 18, or a handgun from FFL until you are 21 (federal law).

- OS

The thread could be locked now. Nothing can add to it after this post.

But that won't stop 29 more responses. LOL