S&W Bodyguard .380 Opinions?

Guest King703

Guest King703

Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing the S&W .380 Bodyguard for conceal carry. Does anyone have an opinion or advice on this gun?

Thanks in advance,

King703

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gmotley

Just bought 2 Bodyguards a month ago and love them. Trigger pull takes a while to get use to.It is a bargain with a built in laser and no problems with 250 rounds through them. combined with a Recluse pocket holster-----a perfect ccw!!!!!

get ya a sig p238 shoots better

Yep.

for $200 difference it better shoot a LOT better

It does. It is a SA/DA with a decocker. The Bodyguard would be just about perfect with that small change. I just don't like mile long trigger pull on the Bodyguard. Can't fault them on the quality of the weapon though. And it's smaller so if you're looking for a true pocket gun...well the P232 is a little large for that. Unless you have some pretty big pockets.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I suppose it comes down to a SA or DA preference.

Thanks again,

King

Exactly. Time and time again we see folks trying to compare the sig to DAO guns. They cannot be compared; either you like and want a 1.5 inch pull @ 10 pounds or you want a1/4 inch pull at 3 pounds. Whichever you choose, the feel of these guns is too different to try to say one is better than another for a given person.

My take on it:

the S&W is just another P3AT clone (LCP, TCP, and 5 or 6 more) with the added laser sighting device. While the gun seems to be well made, I have a nagging fear that a goodly amount of the price tag is sitting in that laser sight. My advice is to look at it this way: if you were planning to buy one of these other 380s and to install a crimson trace style sight on your purchase, the bodyguard may be great for you. If you just want a DAO 380 and were not planning on buying a laser for it, skip the BG for one of the other identiacal guns (maybe send your money toward kel-tec for designing them in the first place?).

If you want a light trigger and locked breech recoil reduction, get the sig. Its sort of unique while all the other 380 pocket guns are cut from the same mold.

I've gpt a bodyguard only ran about 40-50 rounds through it. Used WWB and Remington hollow points both Wally world value packs. No failures. Handles well sights are nice and functional. It is a gun you definitely need practice with to learn the trigger.

Lagerhead is right on. BG really needs a SA/DA trigger.

Buttons for the laser are difficult to operate, especially one handed. Laser is completely washed out in bright sun.

The magazine release button is almost too easy to activate.

I chose it over the LCP due to the sights and it was cheaper vs LCP with crimson trace.

Below is the pattern from my first range trip with it.

IMG_20110423_105117.jpg

Spend your money on a Keltec PF9. April 2011 GUN TESTS magazine gives it an A rating. I bought one based on this review and it has replaced my Ruger LCP with CT laser. I like the 9mm vs .380, and the Keltec is just as easy to conceal in my front pocket. There is really not any difference in recoil, IMO.

You can find a Keltec for $300 and add a CT laser for $125 (Optic Planet), after rebate. Always Google for the Optic Planet 5% off code. It's always available. Optic Planet is also free shipping. No, I do not work for them.

Good Luck,

Going to the gun show and selling the Ruger.

Spend your money on a Keltec PF9. April 2011 GUN TESTS magazine gives it an A rating. I bought one based on this review and it has replaced my Ruger LCP with CT laser. I like the 9mm vs .380, and the Keltec is just as easy to conceal in my front pocket. There is really not any difference in recoil, IMO.

You can find a Keltec for $300 and add a CT laser for $125 (Optic Planet), after rebate. Always Google for the Optic Planet 5% off code. It's always available. Optic Planet is also free shipping. No, I do not work for them.

Good Luck,

Going to the gun show and selling the Ruger.

+1. I'd get a PF9 over any .380.

Guest Aces&8s

I would have to agree with the above recommendation, unless you are just dead-set on a .380. I have tried out a few different pocket pistols (not because I dislike the KT, but because I have a serious compulsive gun-buying problem, at least according to my wife), but keep coming back to the PF9. It is small enough to conceal easily, but not too small like some of the others.