Here's some REAL gun stats- Armed Resistance to Crime by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz

Guest friesepferd

Guest friesepferd

I see random "statistics" thrown around the internet (and verbally) ALL the time which have zero backing. Even if they are taken from a decent survey, they don't give you the information you really need - who was asked, what the questions actually were (how they were worded), what kind of data are you including or not, etc.

As an engineer who works often with statistics, I can do nothing but :D when I see any of them - whether I "agree" with them or not.

So after doing some research, I came across what I believe to actually be a very good paper on the use of guns for self defense.

It will take a little longer to read than the cute little bullet points people love to post, but its well worth it. You can always go down to the very last table to see their results if you want to skip all the "how".

This may very well be a repost, but with as often as I read this and other forums, its the first tme I have seen it.

Anyways. Its called "Armed Resistance to Crime:The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun" by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz

and here is the direct link to the pdf:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fconcealedguns.procon.org%2Fsourcefiles%2FKleckarmed.pdf&ei=WfLTTd0NouGIAvjuzKQE&usg=AFQjCNF-VeLX09WmL2qD5DxOvggeITEHjA

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FHTMcrt

Looks like a good read, but, at 39 pages, it'll have to wait until tonight when I can settle down with an adult beverage and really get in to it. Thanks for posting.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Yeah, bookmarked. I'm with FHTMcrt on this one. And it's probably going to take more than one beverage. I should disarm before getting started...